How bad am I screwed? Bricked?

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 2
 
By xxddaaohnoes, Junior Member on 11th June 2012, 04:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
CURRENT STATUS -- PHONE BACK TO STOCK AND WORKING. WILL ROOT AGAIN AND PROBABLY WAIT A FOR THE FINE DEVS AT TO RELEASE THE ROMS I WANT INSTEAD OF MANUAL MODS HA!


PLEASE NOTE, AT THE TIME OF WRITING THIS THREAD, THE ROM MANAGER INSTALLATION OF CLOCKWORKMOD HAS SERIOUS ISSUES. YOU DO NOT HAVE A WORKING RECOVERY EVEN THOUGH IT FLASHES THE RECOVERY SOFTWARE. SEE XDA THREAD showthread.php?t=1695967 CHECK YOUR CLOCKWORKMOD BEFORE YOU DO ANY MODS


SUMMARY OF FIX --> USE FASTBOOT TO RELOAD WORKING RECOVERY --> ATTEMPT ROM INSTALL, FAILED --> RELOCK BOOTLOADER --> RUN APPROPRIATE RUU...PHONE IS NOW BACK TO STOCK CONDITION WORKING GREAT. XDA WILL SAVE YOU FROM YOURSELF







What happened?

-Rooted phone with regawMOD. Everything fine.

-Install rommanager -- decide to flash clockworkmod via rom manager, since I'm used to that recovery in the past.

-Use phone for 2 days.

-See thread about editing build.prop for links related to apple lawsuit.

-used root explorer file manager, backup build.prop, edit build.prop, HIT THE PERMISSIONS BUTTON ON THE FOLDER TO R/W and then back to R/O (DAMN DAMN DAMN)...reboot phone. Phone boots HTC white screen and then just black. Won't boot android.


What I tried to fix?

-Thinking sucks, but no biggie, I reboot and go to recovery clockworkmod 5.8.3.5 DOES NOT WORK...go search, find more forum posts about this version for our phone not working...DAMMIT CLOCKWORKMOD!

-Go to "Factory Reset", who cares at this point, just reset everything? Nope...white HTC screen, boots into clockworkmod v5.8.3.5 -- again, broken worthless recovery, no menus do anthing. Why did I forsake you TWRP?!?!



Now I'm gun shy on just hopping down and trying new things without consulting you guys first. What are my options? Don't want to make this worse.
Fine




TL;DR

EVO 4GLTE, rooted.

Screwed permissions and/or build.prop system folder

clockworkmod recovery version is worthless

Afraid to go forward.
11th June 2012, 04:10 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Central VA
Thanks Meter: 129
 
More
If you can boot into the bootloader, maybe you can use fastboot to flash TWRP.
11th June 2012, 04:15 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Crowley, TX
Thanks Meter: 398
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxddaaohnoes

What happened?

-Rooted phone with regawMOD. Everything fine.

-Install rommanager -- decide to flash clockworkmod via rom manager, since I'm used to that recovery in the past.

-Use phone for 2 days.

-See thread about editing build.prop for links related to apple lawsuit.

-used root explorer file manager, backup build.prop, edit build.prop, HIT THE PERMISSIONS BUTTON ON THE FOLDER TO R/W and then back to R/O (DAMN DAMN DAMN)...reboot phone. Phone boots HTC white screen and then just black. Won't boot android.


What I tried to fix?

-Thinking sucks, but no biggie, I reboot and go to recovery clockworkmod 5.8.3.5 DOES NOT WORK...go search, find more forum posts about this version for our phone not working...DAMMIT CLOCKWORKMOD!

-Go to "Factory Reset", who cares at this point, just reset everything? Nope...white HTC screen, boots into clockworkmod v5.8.3.5 -- again, broken worthless recovery, no menus do anthing. Why did I forsake you TWRP?!?!



Now I'm gun shy on just hopping down and trying new things without consulting you guys first. What are my options? Don't want to make this worse.
Fine




TL;DR

EVO 4GLTE, rooted.

Screwed permissions and/or build.prop system folder

clockworkmod recovery version is worthless

Afraid to go forward.

yeah, download twrp and move it to your fastboot folder.
use the command "fastboot flash recovery (recovery name).img"

replace (recovery name) with whatever twrp is called, and remove the quotes.
11th June 2012, 07:24 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker91

yeah, download twrp and move it to your fastboot folder.
use the command "fastboot flash recovery (recovery name).img"

replace (recovery name) with whatever twrp is called, and remove the quotes.




THANK YOU BOTH OF YOU!

For posterity, those that are reading this with a similar problem in the future, go here for the EVO LTE:

teamw.in
/project/twrp2/98

1> make sure your HTC drivers are up to date
2> download the TWRP img file
3>find fastboot.exe
4>put TWRP img file with fastboot.exe
5>run commands as on that TWRP page


I now have TWRP recovery! But not a running phone yet

The plan at this time was to wipe everything and just flash a stock ROM and count my blessings. Problems though with sd-ext and new ROM.

Wipe cache -- works.
Wipe Dalvik-cache -- /sd-ext not present, skipping
Factory Reset -- failed to mount /sd-ext (No such file or directory)

I've got the stock ROM img sitting in /sdcard via USB mount on my PC. Just copied it over.

Then I install it and everything acts like it works.
Restart phone, hangs at HTC screen for 20 minutes, never fully booting.

And now I'm here again.

When I go into the TWRP file manager I can see /sd-ext

Any thoughts?
11th June 2012, 07:38 AM |#5  
xHausx's Avatar
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 4,551
 
More
The /sd-ext errors are normal, it's only used if you reformatted your sdcards to add it.

If the ROM you flashed is good and it still won't boot you'll want to run the RUU and bring it back to stock. All you have to do is connect it in fastboot mode and run:
fastboot oem lock

Then, once it's relocked, leave it in fastboot mode and run the RUU that can be found here.

You may need to run it twice if the phone reboots half way through, but that's fine. Just run it a second time and it should finish. When it's done your phone will be completely stock again.
11th June 2012, 07:43 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
fugard Dollin's
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx

The /sd-ext errors are normal, it's only used if you reformatted your sdcards to add it.

If the ROM you flashed is good and it still won't boot you'll want to run the RUU and bring it back to stock. All you have to do is connect it in fastboot mode and run:
fastboot oem lock

Then, once it's relocked, leave it in fastboot mode and run the RUU that can be found [

You may need to run it twice if the phone reboots half way through, but that's fine. Just run it a second time and it should finish. When it's done your phone will be completely stock again.



Will try that now and report back.

Thank you for the quick answer and vote of confidence. I know what is "supposed" to happen along this path, but this is the first time in 5 years and as many devices that I've made such a bone headed mistake rooting. So now I'm a little overly timid as to what is normal and what I caused in screwing up some permissions.
Thanks again!


WORKING! OP updated. Thanks everyone for your time and help!
11th June 2012, 11:40 AM |#7  
reverepats's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Boston,MA
Thanks Meter: 5,403
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx

The /sd-ext errors are normal, it's only used if you reformatted your sdcards to add it.

If the ROM you flashed is good and it still won't boot you'll want to run the RUU and bring it back to stock. All you have to do is connect it in fastboot mode and run:
fastboot oem lock

Then, once it's relocked, leave it in fastboot mode and run the RUU that can be found here.

You may need to run it twice if the phone reboots half way through, but that's fine. Just run it a second time and it should finish. When it's done your phone will be completely stock again.

Haus are we lucky enough to have you join us here? Or u still rocking the 3D? Hope things are well buddy

Edit...OP glad to hear things worked out.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
11th June 2012, 02:59 PM |#8  
shook187's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Haverhill MA
Thanks Meter: 1,076
 
More
Not sure why people insist on having CW even when they know its broken. Even if it wasn't broken, just using TWRP one time, one will realize how much better it is compared to CW. Anyways dude, you're not fully bricked. You just need to find a way to get TWRP flashed.

Sent from my EVO using XDA
11th June 2012, 03:27 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Central VA
Thanks Meter: 129
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shook187

Not sure why people insist on having CW even when they know its broken. Even if it wasn't broken, just using TWRP one time, one will realize how much better it is compared to CW. Anyways dude, you're not fully bricked. You just need to find a way to get TWRP flashed.

Sent from my EVO using XDA




Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes