FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2 in 1 TUT] [GB] [ICS] 1. Unbrick your Galaxy R. 2. Downgrade bootloader to v2.0

1,615 posts
Thanks Meter: 692

By xlm13x, Senior Member on 12th June 2012, 05:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys and girls!!!

peoples are always worried about getting their device bricked so that i m making this tut to recover ur phone in only 3 steps, u dont need any special hardware or dont need to dissemble ur phone u will just need a usb cable and windows pc

READ THIS FIRST

• this method is dangerous as it will format the whole system and all the partitions on your phone. this will also format ur EFS partition so if ur using this tut for downgrading bootloader than its strongly warned that u backup ur EFS folder otherwise u will loose ur IMEI number.
  • this whole process will wipe ur internal sd card, there is no way to recover/backup it as in bricked phone u cant mount ur storage.
  • if u have 2.1 bootloader and want to downgrade it to v2.0 so that u can use usb jig to reset binary counter u can use this method but this method is risky so its recommended to backup all ur data and specially EFS folder to save ur IMEI number.
  • if u r on bootloader 2.0 and dont have usb jig and u want to reset ur download counter than u can use this method but as this method is risky so better buy usb jig and use it. use this as a last option. and dont forget to backup EFS and SD card otherwise u will loose ur IMEI and data stored on SD card.
BACKING UP EFS

• there are many ways to backup/restore EFS partitions is out there but using efs backup pro is recommend, this tool works like charm. u will need to root ur phone first to backup ur EFS partition. (those who have bricked their phone, there is no way to backup ur efs in bricked phone so u will have to give ur phone in ssc to reprogram ur imei)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1068193
  • some peoples says that after restoring backup made by efs backup pro their imei gets messed, they r unable to revert their original imei. if u have lil bit knowledge of ADB u can use this method its best method to backup imei.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1308546
NOTE FOR ICS USERS.

This unbricking tool is working on ICS also. but after this tool completes flashing u wont be able to flash stock ROM via odin directly to solve this u have to do a lil change in process.

after unbricking tool completes flashing, remove usb cable and reboot ur phone. phone will automatically boot in download mod as its not having OS.
now open odin, plug in ur device and flash ur desired stock ROM.
(thanks to UnknownzD for finding this solution.)
HOW TO DO THIS???
STEP 1: DOWNLOADING REPAIR PACKAGE AND SETTING UP DRIVERS

Download the attached zip file and extract it to any directory like "C:\\SGR" or whatever u want. now remove battery of ur phone and insert it. now press VOLUME UP, HOME, POWER KEY together and insert usb cable to pc. ur pc will detect hardware named APX.

now open device manager. (right click on my computer>properties>device manager). u will see APX named hardware with yellow triangle on it. double click it and select update driver. now select "BROWSE MY COMPUTER......." option and it will ask for directory chose the directory in which u have extracted repair package. windows will show u warning ignore it and select install driver anyway.now see device manager in serial bus tree it should display hardware named NVIDIA RECOVERY........

STEP 2: FLASHING THE WHOLE FILE SYSTEM/BOOTLOADER

now everything is set for flashing the bootloader to ur bricked phone. open extracted folder in that u will find a file named GTI9103.bat open it, u will see command prompt window. now connect ur phone in APX mode as described in step 1. (to confirm that ur device is connected in apx mode u can look in device manager for hardware named nvidia recovery..... under serial bus tree). now after connecting device type 1 in opened command prompt and hit enter. now this tool will start flashing on ur sgr. after flash ur phone will reboot and download mode will appear as device starts.

STEP 3: FLASHING STOCK ROM AND FORMATTING DATA PARTITION

now open odin flashing tool (i faced problem while falshing with odin 1.86 so i recommend to use attached odin 1.80). remove usb cable from phone and connect it again, odin will detect phone and yellow mark with com port should appear. now this is important. here u have to check "RE PARTITION" in odin and click "PIT" buttom in odind and choose "p5.pit" file from extracted folder. in pda select the stock fw u want to flash. now check odin for this things "re partision, auto reboot, reset time is checked. in pit selection pit file is selected and in pda ur desired fw is selected." after checking this hit start and wait till flash finish. After flash ur phone will boot and will show error that /data is not found and ur phone will stuck at bootloop. Don't worry its normal as the flashing process have wiped data partition and its not ready to be used by os so phone won't boot. To solve this just boot in recovery mode by holding VOL UP + HOME key at boot. (U can use both stock and cwm recovery) and format the data partition and reboot. Ur phone will boot now and will work perfectly.

If u have backup of EFS than root ur phone and restore ur efs folder so that u can recover ur IMEI number.

If u dont have efs backup dont worry. Simply give ur phone in ssc and claim that phone is not receiving network. They will fix it for free
(If ur warranty is over, they will charge u for this)
CREDITS
Xiaoyuz for making this flashing tool.
F3nix for sending me this flashing package.
UnknownzD for testing this tool on ICS roms and finding a workaround for odin flashing problem on ICS.
Attachments:

Repair Package:http://www.4shared.com/zip/piwOOt1J/...By_Xiaoyu.html
Odin v1.00: http://www.4shared.com/zip/WjuuJ4-2/Odin3_v10.html?
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to xlm13x For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xlm13x Ad-Free

12th June 2012, 06:12 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 133

More
Gg wp

I'll be sure to do this if my sgr goes through what yours went through.

BTW what rom and kernels were you using when your sgr went to ****? Plus do you think some apps or mods you were using might have caused it?

Sent from my GT-I9103 using XDA
12th June 2012, 06:18 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag XDA 24 X 7
Thanks Meter: 692

More
I was using titanium 2.1 with unknown kernel. I m using titanium since 3 months and i never faced any prob with it. On sunday my phones got bricked and i havent used my phone that day much only for checking xda with tapatalk. I dont know how it got bricked its still a mistery and will be always.

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2
12th June 2012, 08:21 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Okay when i do this i can go to shop and ask for refund?
But problem is i unlocked it with a program. Normally net is locked to 3 Austria so could this be a problem?

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda premium
13th June 2012, 04:31 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birki96

Okay when i do this i can go to shop and ask for refund?
But problem is i unlocked it with a program. Normally net is locked to 3 Austria so could this be a problem?

If you made a backup of your efs folder, you won't need to go to the ssc since you just fixed it yourself

13th June 2012, 04:32 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlm13x

I was using titanium 2.1 with unknown kernel. I m using titanium since 3 months and i never faced any prob with it. On sunday my phones got bricked and i havent used my phone that day much only for checking xda with tapatalk. I dont know how it got bricked its still a mistery and will be always.

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2

I'm using titanium 2..1 too and have been my whole time with my phone. Got ardatdats kernel though.

13th June 2012, 05:20 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudup

If you made a backup of your efs folder, you won't need to go to the ssc since you just fixed it yourself

fk i didnt back up before unlock...

13th June 2012, 05:35 AM |#8  
Flag XDA 24 X 7
Thanks Meter: 2,432

More
using root explorer i've copied the EFS folder and stored it in my system is it enough or should i use any tool to backup EFS folder...
13th June 2012, 05:41 AM |#9  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 833

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj.vikram

using root explorer i've copied the EFS folder and stored it in my system is it enough or should i use any tool to backup EFS folder...

Copying via root explorer only backup files, permissions are not saved with the files. If you restore later, the permissions may conflict and the IMEI get messed up.

So, it is better to use tool such as EFS backup pro that also backup permissions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pankaj88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pankaj88 Ad-Free
13th June 2012, 06:25 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Question
Will this tutorial work for my only "USB Bricked" SGR? If yes, then which steps should I follow?

Actual matter:-
-Doesn't charge via a wall charger nor USB cable.
-Download mode accessible.
-Reverted back to Stock Indian ROM as well as stock recovery.
-Doesn't detect on any PC. Also tried MAC. Not even in download mode.
-Can't charge at all. Have to charge my battery by putting it in my Sister's S2.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1337SereniTyx3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 1337SereniTyx3 Ad-Free
13th June 2012, 07:26 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337SereniTyx3

Will this tutorial work for my only "USB Bricked" SGR? If yes, then which steps should I follow?

Actual matter:-
-Doesn't charge via a wall charger nor USB cable.
-Download mode accessible.
-Reverted back to Stock Indian ROM as well as stock recovery.
-Doesn't detect on any PC. Also tried MAC. Not even in download mode.
-Can't charge at all. Have to charge my battery by putting it in my Sister's S2.

Your usb slot is damaged. This isn't a software issue, rather a hardware issue. Get it repaired.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
brick, efs, imei, un brick

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)