FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

.28 Update Killed Tablet

108 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By Gabewalters, Senior Member on 13th June 2012, 07:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I updated to the .28 update this morning, and it all went good. then it got to the stage of booting up, and it doesnt go any farther than the Asus logo with the spinning wheel underneath. I tried doing a reboot by holding the power button but nothing helps. I am rooted on the .21 update and not unlocked. Anyone help? I dont want to have to RMA. Thank you so much in advance!
13th June 2012, 07:14 PM |#2  
Flag Richardson, Tx
Thanks Meter: 568

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabewalters

So I updated to the .28 update this morning, and it all went good. then it got to the stage of booting up, and it doesnt go any farther than the Asus logo with the spinning wheel underneath. I tried doing a reboot by holding the power button but nothing helps. I am rooted on the .21 update and not unlocked. Anyone help? I dont want to have to RMA. Thank you so much in advance!

Try hitting the factory reset or use one of the brick fixes detailed in the dev section stickies.

By chance had you modified any system files or were you bone stock with just root access? i ask this because i upgraded to .28 with no problems with root.
13th June 2012, 07:20 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddintyres

Try hitting the factory reset or use one of the brick fixes detailed in the dev section stickies.

By chance had you modified any system files or were you bone stock with just root access? i ask this because i upgraded to .28 with no problems with root.

I have only edited one /system/app file and it was to paste the Svoice app to see if it would work. I am pretty sure I deleted it though. Would this be why? And what do you mean by hitting the factory reset?
13th June 2012, 07:28 PM |#4  
XDA TV Producer / Portal Team / Forum Leader
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 72

More
I am in the same boat the update killed My Prime.

I tried the volume down restart no luck gets stuck on ASUS logo
I tried the Volume down and delete user data and restart no luck gets stuck on ASUS logo

any help
13th June 2012, 07:32 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdsl

I am in the same boat the update killed My Prime.

I tried the volume down restart no luck gets stuck on ASUS logo
I tried the Volume down and delete user data and restart no luck gets stuck on ASUS logo

any help

I am glad Im not the only one. I know how you feel! I hope we can get this thing back up and running. :-|
13th June 2012, 07:33 PM |#6  
Flag Los Angeles

More
I checked the Sticky on the Dev Section and they don't cover this type of damage.

This means I have to send my prime to ASUS. dang it.
13th June 2012, 07:40 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 218

More
Guys, the update didn't brick your Primes, sometimes fooling around with the system files can have a negative effect. If the update was no good, ALL of our Primes would be bricked, not just some.

Good luck though!
13th June 2012, 07:52 PM |#8  
Flag Los Angeles

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabewalters

I am glad Im not the only one. I know how you feel! I hope we can get this thing back up and running. :-|

I tried restarting with the recovery kernel and I get an android logo laying down with red exclamation mark. not sure what that means how to fix that yet.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCANNADY

Guys, the update didn't brick your Primes, sometimes fooling around with the system files can have a negative effect. If the update was no good, ALL of our Primes would be bricked, not just some.

Good luck though!

the only thing is, I did not change system files on my prime, I kept it stock. and I have received updates and updated them before. I just found out that the repair center for ASUS in Los Angeles does not service Primes.
13th June 2012, 07:54 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
The update may have bricked your prime. Although updates succeed with some devices they can fail with others. There is a long history of such issues across platforms.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
13th June 2012, 08:14 PM |#10  
Flag Hooksett
Thanks Meter: 29

More
try a hard reset.... insert a paperclip into the hole by the SD card to reset.
If not ping Gary Key or the other Rep, I forget the name and see if they can have an Asus tech offer some other solution. If not RMA it is..
just dont say its rooted

good luck!
13th June 2012, 09:00 PM |#11  
Flag Southern California
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Here's some info from another thread where sledgie recovered from a brick updating to .28 Hopefully this could help some of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgie

I just wanted to have a little post for those of you like me that may have tried updating after downloading the .28 OTA update, then the Prime freezing on the Asus Splash Screen and not rebooting...I found the solution after finally downloading the update this morning from Asus' TW site.

I only have the Prime as my computer and I have an Android phone. No PC for me - was going to try to use a friends last night to get into ADB but it just wasn't happening.

So for me - this is what I had to do.

If after your prime reboots you are still stuck on your asus splash screen, and nothing will get it to boot up - do this:
You must know your Prime's version of the update.
Goto ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/TF201/ or check cky2000's thread right here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1429873

Download the **COMPATIBLE** update of .28 (I tried .21 plenty of times - .21 would not update my Prime)
If on an Android phone (like I was) goto ES File Explorer and open the **UpdateLauncher.zip file
It should say something like **_epad-user.9.4.2.28.zip
Extract the file to the root directory of your microSD card
Now, goto your microSD card
rename the **_epad-user.9.4.2.28.zip to

EP201_SDUPDATE

**don't rewrite the extension so that it's EP201_SDUPDATE.zip.zip, ES File explorer will only allow you to rename the name, not file extension**

You should now have EP201_SDUPDATE.zip on your microsd

**make sure you charged your prime at least 30 min if it turned off previously**

Put microsd in your Prime

Hold the Volume Down button and the Power Button until it resets and something is written at the top asking if you want to boot into a certain mode press volume up.
Immediately press Volume Up. Make sure Microsd with EP201_UPDATE.zip is in Prime.

It will start to switch to the Android Operating Mode screen with the Android lying sideways with some nuclear fission animation going on.
Blue status bar should start within 3 minutes.

Reboot and rewrite should take approximately 5-10 minutes. When done, your About should show .28 update. Hope this helps anyone who was in the same boat as me. I believe my Prime was bricked a certain way - not sure how.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bait-Fish For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bait-Fish Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)