FORUMS

[Q] Are all Android devices limited to 2gb of video recording?

93 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By CeeJayII, Member on 16th June 2012, 07:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
My Galaxy Nexus and Transformer Prime both stop recording at a 2gb file size, is this true of all android devices? Is there any way around it, an app or something? I've tried a couple that didn't work but maybe I missed one that does. I'd like to be able to record at 1080p until the memory card is full. Any help is much appreciated.
16th June 2012, 08:08 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I am not exactly sure if this is true for all, but my htc evo 3d is also limited to 2gb.
17th June 2012, 06:19 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
I've seen conflicting reports, some say 2gb limit, some say they can record until card is full. I'm starting to think nobody can get passed 2gb.
17th June 2012, 01:38 PM |#4  
Flag Bangalore, KA, India
Thanks Meter: 586

More
Well in any case you won't be able to record continuously till the SD card is full, because Android uses the fat32 file system for SD card which has a maximum limit of 4GB per file. But 2GB, that's weird, I would think that they at least limit it somewhere near the maximum. Maybe their intention was to keep it at a safe limit to avoid data corruption or something. Plus the Galaxy Nexus has a unified storage (no SD card) which runs the ext4 file system, and that has no small limitation on file size like fat32. So yeah, seems pointless to have a 2GB cap.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium
17th June 2012, 06:04 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
It doesn't make much sense, both the prime and Gnex can save file sizes above 4gb so I dont think they are formatted in fat32. There has got to be a way around it but I haven't been able to search it out.
17th June 2012, 06:46 PM |#6  
Flag Bangalore, KA, India
Thanks Meter: 586

More
Yeah, they're not fat32. They're formatted to ext4. I mentioned that previously. Stumps me too why the video size should be limited.

I'm guessing there are some custom ROMs which have this limit increased/removed? Try to search in the development section of GNex forum to find any posts related to this.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium
18th June 2012, 11:53 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
It doesn't make sense, bump one more time to see if anyone knows a way around this.
19th June 2012, 12:09 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
As sashank said FAT32 normally is limited to 4GB. I read somewhere, that integer which stores size is type unsigned int, so it has range from -2GB to 2GB.
20th November 2012, 06:55 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
So can galaxy nexus have the FAT32 limit removed on the camera, as it is ext4? Surely, someone has done this.
18th December 2012, 03:39 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Did anyone tested video recording on the Nexus 4 ? Does it go over the 2GB limit (on an external EXT card) ?
17th March 2013, 10:59 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 841

More
Has anyone figured out a solution for this? I want to record long videos with the phone fixed at a position. But for me too the size doesn't go above 2gb. I am using a Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.2.

And sorry to bump an old thread.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
2gb, android, limit, record, video

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)