FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

I may have solved the famous battery problem on Nook & Nook Touch!

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By foredog, Junior Member on 20th June 2012, 01:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I've been using Nook for two years and Nook Simple Touch for 5 months or so.

I've rooted both my devices and used them that way (until my original Nook got those screen problems and became unusable)

Starting from first days I realized that the battery life was quite shorter than advertised. In fact it was almost unacceptable, like draining %10-15 a day while standing by (at the regular screensaver)

First I thought this was caused by the rooting and custom firmware. I tried the regular disabling of services, but to no avail. After a while I decided to return to the stock 1.1 firmware (on NST). To my horror I saw that nothing changed. Then I rerooted the hardware, still same.

One day, while I was reading a book I got a call and had to leave the house very fast. Thus I bagged the NST and got out of the house.

After returning home, I left that bag in my living room and did not open it for five days. After five days I picked up the NST, which was %70 charged five days ago, sure that I had to charge it again. To my surprise I saw that the charge was still %62. How could this happen, I began to querry. And remembered that I did not manually activate the screensaver -which was my general behaviour.

After that day I did not manually activate the screensaver even once and the battery drain is never more than 1-2%/day.

I'm not an Android developer, I'm a regular computer guy (using computers for almost 30 years) but I have strong gut feeling that this may be the problem, that manually activating the screensaver is not same as activation after a time out.

I guess many people over here, being -not regular users but optimization obsessed technical people- prefer to activate the screensaver manually. Thus they have the drain problem.

If you are suffering the same problem, please test this and write your feedbacks over here. May be one of the coders can look into this problem in the end.

With kind regards

20th June 2012, 01:19 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Boston
Thanks Meter: 989

More
You may be onto something there.
I certainly believe that the problems are related to not fully going into sleep mode.
I have caught the Nook many times that it was supposed to be sleeping and the touch screen was still running.

I always used the power button when I'm done, I had the screen timeout set on one hour.
I just set my screen timeout to 10 seconds to play with this.
I couldn't get the Nook to act up with the power button shutdown.

To set your screen timeout to a arbitrary value (time in milliseconds):
Code:
adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db

sqlite3 settings.db
update system set value=10000 where name='screen_off_timeout';
.q

adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
20th June 2012, 06:41 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
foredog,
Could you clarify a bit, please?
Nook can go into screensaver via
timeout,
front button,
back power button or
"button savior Off" button.
Which button you referring too to manually activate the screensaver?
21st June 2012, 03:40 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by foredog

After that day I did not manually activate the screensaver even once and the battery drain is never more than 1-2%/day.

I use my Nook Simple Touch minimally and almost always use the back button to activate the screensaver. I see pretty good battery life upto 20+ days. The only thing I do differently from you is turn off wifi before I activate the screensaver. Maybe wifi is the main cause for the battery drain.

--
21st June 2012, 05:00 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbay

I use my Nook Simple Touch minimally and almost always use the back button to activate the screensaver. I see pretty good battery life upto 20+ days. The only thing I do differently from you is turn off wifi before I activate the screensaver. Maybe wifi is the main cause for the battery drain.

WiFi is definitely a big one.
Any easy way to "auto turn it off" with screensaver activation?
21st June 2012, 07:19 AM |#6  
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Don't know about that - I always use the "sleep" button to activate the "screensaver". Right now, I'm up to a month of use, and like 30% batt still. I turn wifi on when I need it, and off again when I don't. Glowlight on for like 20 min/day.
Actually really impressed with NST Glow.
21st June 2012, 01:03 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Sorry I did not mention, that my wireless is always off.

@Apokrifx: I'm using the power button at the back to go to sleep mode.

What you all are saying is similar to general behavior. Everyone is not experiencing this drain among Nook users, only some.

In my case, letting NST time out really solved the problem.

What Renate says is really similar to my experience. Time and time I accidentally touched the screen (while it was on the screensaver and it asked for the swipe motion (meaning the touch interface is responding) which should not happen in the sleep mode.

I'll let you know if anything changes.

Thank you for the feedbacks.
3rd August 2012, 08:34 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I think the original post info is quite accurate. I notice when I don't go back to the home screen, and leave it on the stock reader when I put it down-- battery life is much better.

It appears that, when the stock reader is running, it shuts down most background services. But, that's just a theory.
4th August 2012, 01:05 AM |#9  
Flag Cairo
Thanks Meter: 42

More
i guess when u activate ur screensaver that wont drain power from ur battery ..... cuz in screensaver mood the animation on screen stopped like calculator screen ..... just display image and didnt move any pixels on screen ..... so .... ummm .... i guess ur problem may u not charge battery well .... let me tell u .... u must per month empty the battery until nook tells u that ur nook device cant power on .... and that will guarantee to u long life to ur battery also keep ur battery more efficiently and working perfect

hope i helped ..... best regards
4th August 2012, 12:39 PM |#10  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Boston
Thanks Meter: 989

More
Actually, I've had no battery problems in a while.
I've got rid of almost all the B&N stuff though.
USB host mode, with its polling seems to take a bunch of battery though.
It's still manageable.
4th August 2012, 01:01 PM |#11  

More
I got my glowlight nook recently(after I stepped on my old Nook ST, ouch). When you have glowlight on and the Nook goes into sleep mode the glowlight turns off. It happens even if you press the back button. But... I had few instances when the screensaver activated and the glowlight didn't turn off... Can't reproduce this issue too often and with glowlight at least I know when it didn't turn off But other services might have simmilar issue.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)