[MOD / HACK] - Fully enable native wifi hotspot AND native Bluetooth tethering

Search This thread

BlvJohn

Dec 28, 2007
Well, I screwed myself. :crying:

Sorry to hear, I did not realize you had an encrypted device. I have neve dealt with this myself.

I hate encryption -- makes it very difficult to do anything on a device. And removing it temporarily (if you even have permissions to do so) to allow changes and then re-encrypting is a pain.

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
Well, now it seems to hang at the Galaxy SII screen.. I am able to go into the stock recovery now, however, and do a factory reset without it giving a bunch of errors about not being able to mount various partitions.. I feel like I'm getting closer.. Maybe I should try flashing a custom recovery and loading a different ROM? I'm in neck deep now.. What do I have to lose?

UPDATE: Good news! I had to apply the 4.3 zip update from stock ROM again before it worked, but my phone is booting again! Whew! I lost all my data, but who cares. Was not looking forward to telling my boss I'd bricked ANOTHER phone while messing with it. He would have been pissed this time. :)

The good news is that it is no longer encrypted so I'm thinking now is when I should root, install CWM, apply this mod, etc.. Then when all of that is done I will unroot and install Mobile Iron again and such..

Thanks again!

Last edited:

BlvJohn

Dec 28, 2007
Well, now it seems to hang at the Galaxy SII screen.. I am able to go into the stock recovery now, however, and do a factory reset without it giving a bunch of errors about not being able to mount various partitions.. I feel like I'm getting closer.. Maybe I should try flashing a custom recovery and loading a different ROM? I'm in neck deep now.. What do I have to lose?

I had a similar problem with hanging after TWRP recovery after the OTA update. Ended up going with the "stock" rom from the link below and am pretty pleased ... Took a few reboots to get to AROMA the first time; otherwise fine. If you did an OTA update you already have the newer boot loader and modem. Read up on the cautions. If you have the newer bootloader, you cannot return to a pre-4.3 rom (with an older bootloader) without bricking the device.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2504903

UPDATE: Glad to see you are back in business ...

Last edited:

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
I had a similar problem with hanging after TWRP recovery after the OTA update. Ended up going with the "stock" rom from the link below and am pretty pleased ... Took a few reboots to get to AROMA the first time; otherwise fine. If you did an OTA update you already have the newer boot loader and modem. Read up on the cautions. If you have the newer bootloader, you cannot return to a pre-4.3 rom (with an older bootloader) without bricking the device.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2504903

UPDATE: Glad to see you are back in business ...

Thanks again.

OK, I'm up and running on 4.3 now with root in place and Knox disabled.. What is the quickest/safest way to get CWM installed now?

I wasn't going to do it but I've decided to give it a shot since I don't think Mobile Iron can see whether or not my recovery has been modified, since it is on a different partition that doesn't get mounted when the OS loads..

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008

Is this the proper command to use from a root terminal?

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

I know I need to put the img file in a spot on my SD card and change the if parameter to match that location, but is that the correct target partition (of=??) for this device (i747)?

Thanks!

UPDATE: For anyone reading this later, that is indeed the proper target partition name for the i747 Galaxy S3 from AT&T. I now have CWM installed and a solid Nandroid backup made. Feeling much better about things. Going to flash the tether mod from BlvJohn now and will report back on results..

UPDATE 2: Mod is working like a champ.. Installed a hotspot toggle widget, reconfigured my SSID and password, and it is all working like a champ, even after I removed root.. Now to go try to setup Mobile Iron again.. :)

Final Update: (for today, at least) Everything is working great! Native wifi tether is working like a boss! Mobile Iron seems to have no issue now that I'm unrooted and have everything encrypted again. Also just flashed the latest TWRP recovery which should allow me to take a Nandroid even though I'm encrypted. Haven't tried yet but they claim it should work. Reinstalling all my apps and such now. Everything is looking good!

Thanks again for the mod as well as the patience, assistance and kind words!

Last edited:

MrSimmonsSr

Jul 24, 2008
For some reason, TWRP can't seem to decrypt my partitions, so I'm stuck with no Nandroid ability. The latest builds are supposed to support the Samsung Android encryption tools. I'll have to report a bug to the TWRP team, I suppose. In the mean time my phone is working great, however, including tethering and MobileIron!

Thanks again!

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk 4

vamsi.coe

Jan 28, 2009
Help Please

I am a noob so please bear with me :)

I've i747UCUEMJB ROM too, and I just want to enable tethering. I have rooted as well.

Now I've the zip file downloaded, I put it in the sd card, go to recovery mode--> Apply Update from external storage -> choose the zip file.
At this step, signature verification fails and step gets aborted, could you please tell me what am I doing wrong? :D Thanks in advance!!

I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.

Feel free to download it and try. However, to be safe, make a copy of the "Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip" and change the name to something like "orig_no_tether.zip". Open this new zip and replace the framework-res.apk in the zip with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device. Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Flash the Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip and see if it works. If you have problems, you can always reboot to recovery and install the orig_no_tether.zip you created to restore your system to the way it was.

Link: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98345983/CM9%20for%20HP%20TouchPad%204G/Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip"

Respond back here to let others know if it worked for you.

gcamp0730

Jan 22, 2007
Texas
OnePlus 6T
I am a noob so please bear with me :)

I've i747UCUEMJB ROM too, and I just want to enable tethering. I have rooted as well.

Now I've the zip file downloaded, I put it in the sd card, go to recovery mode--> Apply Update from external storage -> choose the zip file.
At this step, signature verification fails and step gets aborted, could you please tell me what am I doing wrong? :D Thanks in advance!!

Don't select apply update, just select install zip file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MWTTRON

Apr 27, 2012
This Hack "PATCH" ROCKS!

I created a recovery installable patch for WiFi and bluetooth tethering that is working on my AT&T Galaxy SIII i747UCUEMJB ROM. I assume it will work on any MJB Rom, but I am not sure.

Feel free to download it and try. However, to be safe, make a copy of the "Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip" and change the name to something like "orig_no_tether.zip". Open this new zip and replace the framework-res.apk in the zip with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device. Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Flash the Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip and see if it works. If you have problems, you can always reboot to recovery and install the orig_no_tether.zip you created to restore your system to the way it was.

Link: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98345983/CM9%20for%20HP%20TouchPad%204G/Tether_i747UCUEMJB.zip"

BlvJohn,
You ROCK! Thank you so much for this Hack. Heck I'd call it a patch as it actually FIXES the Wi-Fi Tether issue for the I747 i747UCUEMJB 4.3 Update from ATT. Figures they'd ACCIDENTALLY screw up the tether! "I bet it was on purpose".
I downloaded this patch and set up the no-tether backup just in case last night. Then today I went to the ATT store and talked with the tech's there and they said sorry there is NO FIX at this time and I would have to wait till the NEXT UPDATE to see if it got fixed! They actually can't provide a workaround for it themselves!
I use a Galaxy Note 10.1 for work and although it has Wi-Fi it does not have have a modem so I need to be able to tether my phone! Well I can now!
Your PATCH works PERFECTLY and although I have only had it for about 3 hours I can see NO ADVERSE AFFECTS!

Thank You again!!!

EDIT I just tested the Blue Tooth Tether Function. OF COURSE it WORKS NOW!!! BlvJohn You ROCK!!!

Last edited:

BlvJohn

Dec 28, 2007
Android 4.4.2 Update

I created a new recovery installable patch to enable WiFi tethering for the the AT&T Galaxy S3 with the stock i747UCUFNE4 rom; it should work on any stock FNE4 Rom. Bluetooth tethering may also work with this patch, but I am not sure for all cases. This patch updates 'framework-res.apk' in your /system/framework folder.

As before, I recommend creating a backup patch using your original framework-res.apk. Make a copy of the patch file "Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip" and change the name to something like "Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip". Open this new zip (using Win-Zip or 7-zip) and replace 'framework-res.apk' with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device.

Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Re-boot to recovery, flash Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip, re-boot, and verify that it works. If you have problems, you can always restore your system by rebooting to recovery and installing the Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip.

Link: Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip

daebaybay

Apr 22, 2011
thanks for the good work BlvJohn.
was this tested working on your end?

Android 4.4.2 Update

I created a new recovery installable patch to enable WiFi tethering for the the AT&T Galaxy S3 with the stock i747UCUFNE4 rom; it should work on any stock FNE4 Rom. Bluetooth tethering may also work with this patch, but I am not sure for all cases. This patch updates 'framework-res.apk' in your /system/framework folder.

As before, I recommend creating a backup patch using your original framework-res.apk. Make a copy of the patch file "Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip" and change the name to something like "Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip". Open this new zip (using Win-Zip or 7-zip) and replace 'framework-res.apk' with the one from the /system/framework folder on your device.

Copy both zips to your external sdcard. Re-boot to recovery, flash Tether_i747UCUFNE4.zip, re-boot, and verify that it works. If you have problems, you can always restore your system by rebooting to recovery and installing the Orig_i747UCUFNE4.zip.

abense

Jan 5, 2012
Greenville, South Carolina
Android 4.4.2 Update

Any possibility that you could do this for a Verizon DNE1 ROM?

dy/dx

Feb 13, 2006
Hi,

Thank you! Wifi and USB works!

Unfortunately I have problems with Bluetooth which I would prefer a lot (less Power etc).

I can select "Bluetooth tethering" and it states now "Sharing this phone's internet connection ...".

However, there is no notification icon as it is the case for Wifi or USB. Should it be there?

When I select "Connect using -> Direct Connection" on my laptop it states "Connection successful" but nothing happens: The status is still disconnected on the laptop as well as on the phone.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All credits of this hack goes to electron73 from THIS post.
    Thanks to DrDrrae for the CWM zip

This will remove all entitlement checks on the native wifi hotspot app and will enable the native Bluetooth tethering option which was removed by at&t.

*** I take no responsibility if this process bricks your device. please read the process CAREFULLY before attempting this***

***THIS IS ONLY FOR I747UCALEM BUILD. THIS WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER BUILD AND WILL PREVENT YOUR DEVICE FROM BOOTING***

This process will prevent your device from booting if something goes wrong. Please make sure you do a nandroid backup BEFORE you do this. If you get stuck you will be able to restore.

What you need:

1) rooted device on the UCALEM build.
    2) CWM installed
    3) The below CWM flashable zip

How to install:

1) Do a nandroid backup - this is a must as we don't have an ODIN restore yet.
    2) Download the below modified flashable zip and place it on your internal SD.
    3) Reboot into recovery and flash the zip file
    4) Done
    5) You might need to re-login to your google account after doing this,

If your device does not boot after changing the file, restore from a nandroid backup and you should be fine.

LINK to CWM flashable zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?z198wxjqhexqqhy
    NEW: Link to CWM flashable zip with Cell standby fix: http://www.mediafire.com/?vsepya1lkgud8nt

Enjoy!
    Is there a hack version available for MJB?

Cell Standby fix

Need a version with the cell standby fix also rolled in. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I added the cell-standby fix MOD from here to the cwm flashable zip file that OP had created. Download the new CWM flashable zip from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vsepya1lkgud8nt
    Android 4.4.2 Update