FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

[Q] How to install Google eBooks (Google Play Books)

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By patsissons, Junior Member on 26th June 2012, 05:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have read that it's possible to use google books on the NST (or NTG) but i can't find it in the market place. and every time i try and side load the apk i get INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK. I downloaded google play books 2.3.5 apk which is supposably built for 2.1. I thought the NST/NTG was on 2.1 (or is it 2.2?) so im curious why this doesn't work... anyone care to comment?

If i just have the wrong version please let me know the correct version to use.

26th June 2012, 06:11 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,035

More
You can try apktool-ing the apk and see what version it specs in AndroidManifest.xml.
You could modify the version and see if it crashes.
We're running Eclair, 2.1, API level 7 on the Nook Touch.
6th September 2012, 03:20 PM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 630

Donate to Me
More
Any luck OP?

EDIT:

Tried this one: http://www.iapktop.com/google-play-books-2-4-3.html since it said compatible with 2.1, but I had no luck.

Then I tried this one: http://www.iapktop.com/google-books-1-4-5.html and it looks to be working! I saw my library in the window and I have it downloading one of my books now for reading to test.

EDIT2: AAaaaaand... works. Perfectly I might add. The only thing that doesn't work is the side buttons don't switch pages. I think because they are bound to PAGE_NEXT or something. Changing them to Right and Left arrow should do it.

EDIT3: Yep. A quick change to the keylayout lets me page with the right hand buttons. It does break the ability to page in the stock reading app though with those buttons. For now I'm leaving it with paging in Google books with right side buttons and paging in Nook with left side buttons. I'll probably go all in later.

What I did was edit /system/usr/keylayout/TWL4030_Keypad.kl and switch RIGHT_NEXTPAGE to DPAD_RIGHT and then switched RIGHT_PREVPAGE to DPAD_LEFT.

Hopefully that makes sense. If not I can probably make it easier for you by pulling the file itself, but I figure I'd try to "teach a man to fish."
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ViViDboarder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ViViDboarder Ad-Free
6th September 2012, 04:47 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Dynamic button remapping; getting rid of page-turn animation
(Interested lurker speaking. I don't have a NST, but a rooted Sony PRS-T1, which is similar, but running Android 2.2. Please take what I say with a grain of salt.)

The latest version of Google Play Books that does not require 3D hardware (for its carousel view and its page-turn animation) and that is available for older Android versions appears to be version 1.5.4.

I'm using that version on the PRS-T1, but was annoyed by its flickering slide animation when turning pages. If you're comfortable with the Android SDK and apktool, here's a hack I did to remove that animation:
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187741

The problem of different Left/Right key bindings for different apps plagues the PRS-T1 as well. This led me to look for a solution to remap these buttons dynamically, depending on which app was currently running in the foreground. Here's my hack for the PRS-T1, which a semi-experienced developer could port over to the NST. I'd be happy to accept patches.
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187054
github.com/altruizine/pgdn

(Sorry for not posting direct links – I'm not allowed to post links yet.)
6th September 2012, 08:35 PM |#5  
Flag San Francisco, CA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by altruizine

(Interested lurker speaking. I don't have a NST, but a rooted Sony PRS-T1, which is similar, but running Android 2.2. Please take what I say with a grain of salt.)

The latest version of Google Play Books that does not require 3D hardware (for its carousel view and it page-turn animation) and that it available for older Android versions appears to be version 1.5.4.

I'm using that version on the PRS-T1, but was annoyed by its flickering slide animation when turning pages. If you're comfortable with the Android SDK and apktool, here's a hack I did to remove that animation:
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187741

The problem of different Left/Right key bindings for different apps plagues the PRS-T1 as well. This led me to look for a solution to remap these buttons dynamically, depending on which app was currently running in the foreground. Here's my hack for the PRS-T1, which a semi-experienced developer could port over to the NST. I'd be happy to accept patches.
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187054
github.com/altruizine/pgdn

(Sorry for not posting direct links – I'm not allowed to post links yet.)

That's awesome! I only just got this device last night so haven't got too far into hacking it, but I have plenty of other Android experience. I'll see if I can replicate.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium
22nd September 2012, 07:12 PM |#6  

More
So close!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViViDboarder

Then I tried this one: .iapktop.com/google-books-1-4-5 and it looks to be working! I saw my library in the window and I have it downloading one of my books now for reading to test.

EDIT2: AAaaaaand... works. Perfectly I might add. The only thing that doesn't work is the side buttons don't switch pages. I think because they are bound to PAGE_NEXT or something. Changing them to Right and Left arrow should do it.

Thank you so much for posting this!
I installed the1-4-5 apk without incident and all my books synced beautifully, including where I left off in them. I was pretty sure I was home free at this point but I've found that the actual content of the books never loads. I get the spinning loading icon off into infinity.

This is the way for all my books. Looks for all the world like it should work fine but just never loads the actual content.

I've tried a system reboot, scanning around between pages, fussing with text size/line spacing and same outcome.

I tried the 2-4-3 apk and got a parsing error when i tried to open the package.

This is so close I can taste it. Any ideas anyone?

Thank you

Update:
I found that if I toggled on "Original pages" in the book options the content would load. After I did that once I could switch back to "flowing text" and adjust as needed.

Update 2:
I still intermittently have issues with book content loading. Probably once per day the loading icon displays indefinitely. The flowing text/original pages workaround I listed before was likely a flook, I haven't been able to find a way to reliably get around this problem. It's terribly annoying.

Update 3:
I tried using the refresh option on the library view prior to loading my book this time and it popped up immediately afterward. I'll continue to experiment with this to see if it works consistently.
Update 4:
That's unreliable as well. There doesn't seem to be any good way to prompt my book to actually load the content of the book. Super annoying.
14th October 2012, 11:50 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Smile Version 1.0.16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenric

Thank you so much for posting this!
I installed the1-4-5 apk without incident and all my books synced beautifully, including where I left off in them. I was pretty sure I was home free at this point but I've found that the actual content of the books never loads. I get the spinning loading icon off into infinity.

This is the way for all my books. Looks for all the world like it should work fine but just never loads the actual content.

I've tried a system reboot, scanning around between pages, fussing with text size/line spacing and same outcome.

I tried the 2-4-3 apk and got a parsing error when i tried to open the package.

This is so close I can taste it. Any ideas anyone?

Thank you

Update:
I found that if I toggled on "Original pages" in the book options the content would load. After I did that once I could switch back to "flowing text" and adjust as needed.

Update 2:
I still intermittently have issues with book content loading. Probably once per day the loading icon displays indefinitely. The flowing text/original pages workaround I listed before was likely a flook, I haven't been able to find a way to reliably get around this problem. It's terribly annoying.

Update 3:
I tried using the refresh option on the library view prior to loading my book this time and it popped up immediately afterward. I'll continue to experiment with this to see if it works consistently.
Update 4:
That's unreliable as well. There doesn't seem to be any good way to prompt my book to actually load the content of the book. Super annoying.

Here is an older version that I found somewhere on the web. It is version 1.0.16...I installed it and it seems to work excellently so far. The bug where version 1.5.4 often never loads the book doesn't seem to be present.
Attached Files
File Type: apk gbooks_1.0.16.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.50 MB, 1337 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to finitary For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift finitary Ad-Free
16th October 2012, 03:54 AM |#8  
Flag San Francisco, CA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by finitary

Here is an older version that I found somewhere on the web. It is version 1.0.16...I installed it and it seems to work excellently so far. The bug where version 1.5.4 often never loads the book doesn't seem to be present.

I may have to give this a shot. I am frequently annoyed with this bug. Thankfully the books I'm reading actually fit perfectly on the screen when viewing the scanned versions.
1st January 2013, 06:44 PM |#9  
Flag San Francisco, CA

Donate to Me
More
Just wanted to bump and see if you're still getting good results with that version of Google Books. I haven't switched yet (started reading something on Kindle) but I'm about to start a new book on Google Play.
5th January 2013, 08:42 PM |#10  

More
Seems to work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by finitary

I just loaded up the 1.0.16 version and the book loaded right up where as 10 minutes ago it stubbornly refused. I'm not going to get my hopes up yet but I'll try and remember to give an update after some more use. Thanks for the post!
6th January 2013, 04:25 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
goodereader.com has version 1.5.2 for download. Worth a try.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)