I'm sorry I have been busy in the past months and let my xda account unattended. I currently don't own this device anymore. Anyways if someone wants to take over this thread and expand the tutorial by adding a video or photos are welcomed.
THIS GUIDE IS INTENDED FOR ADVANCE USERS. A BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE IS NEEDED. I RECOMMEND DOING SOME READING BEFORE TRYING THIS OUT.
This guide is to recover the IMEI. This happens when the LG Communication Partition has been corrupted, or you have a locked handset example locked to AT&T or any other provider.
Corruption of the IMEI is caused with a bug with the original Froyo firmware. This is provided in an internal use only document from LG but I failed to find the source.
Please be aware that you are dealing with the phone internal hardware and you can really mess up things. Continue at your own risk.
• Latest LG support usb drivers from the LG support site.
• Stock Rom preferably gingerbread v20p.
• Compressed file provided in the attachment section
• TI Omap driver included (OMAPFlashInstaller.msi)
• Infineon Driver included (FlashUSB_x86_x64_Drivers)
Flashing the CP and removing the SIM LOCK
1. Extract the files to a folder
2. Install the OMAP driver (OMAPFlashInstaller.msi) and the Infineon driver (FlashUSB_x86_x64_Drivers)
3. Shutdown your phone and remove the battery. Wait 5 seconds and insert the battery again.
4. Press and hold the “VOL+” and connect the USB cable to the computer and then while holding the VOL+ press and hold the PWR button until it vibrates. The phone should not boot up.
5. Let the TI OMAP drivers install
6. Open Windows Enabler.exe and activate it by clicking on the icon next to the windows system time at the bottom right.
7. Open SmartFlash.exe
8. Under the “Normal D/L” tab double click “Erase entire CP” verify that the checkbox its selected (this will erase the IMEI and any GSM locks)
9. Click on START and wait until it finish
10. Remove the battery and place it again
11. Press and hold the “VOL+” and connect the USB cable to the computer and then while holding the VOL+ press and hold the PWR button until it vibrates. The phone should not boot up.
12. Go to “ROM copy D/L” tab
13. In the “CP bin” choose the file included in "LGP940_CP.rar" (included in attachments)
14. click “Erase entire CP” verify that the checkbox its selected
15. Click on START and wait until it finish
16. Remove the battery and place it again and power on your phone (Write down the IMEI number under the battery it will be used later)
17. Flash a gingerbread KDZ stock rom
IMPORTANT: Some users are having issues with restoring IMEIS using roms that are not supported. If you have a p925 use a p925 KDZ and if you have a p920 use the p920 KDZ
Restoring the IMEI deleted from the previous steps
1. Connect phone by USB
2. Activate USB debug mode
3. Enter 3845#*920# or 3845#*925# or 3845#*760# depending on your model
4. Select Port Settings -> Select CP Image Download
5. A new device should appear at let it install
6. Open Tutty and select serial protocol. Click on open
7. Type AT if response is not OK, change port number (it is possible that when typing you don’t see any letters)
8. Type at%imei, it should display a dummy IMEI
9. Type at%imei=x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x where x,x,x... is your orginal IMEI number (found under the battery of your phone). It should response IMEI WRITE OK
10. Reboot phone
- On step 9 notice that there is no coma at the end of the 15 digit IMEI number.
- The COM Port connection closes rapidly on certain devices to avoid timeout errors I recommend doing copy paste specially on step 9 also to ensure that you are writing a correct IMEI
- To avoid issues ensure you use a good USB Cable, dont be cheap!!.
- If the device doesn't see the omap device on Windows Device Manager even after enabling show ghost devices on windows you have a faulty motherboard.
- If after selecting the "CP Image Download" mode you see a new com port and gets rapidly disconnected you have a faulty modem thus a faulty motherboard. (Don't know how to fix this, I have only seen this on one device)
DON'T FORGET TO CLICK ON THE THANKS BUTTON
Thanks to IODAK