FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 7 BAD screen flicker!

71 posts
Thanks Meter: 30

By soccerwuedo5, Member on 29th June 2012, 07:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
With such overwhelming response, I hope to make this OP a brief hub of useful information.

Supporting comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentiality

Steps to reproduce for ALL tablets.

1. Weak WiFi signal.
2. Backlight dimmed to under 30%.
3. A program that constantly accesses the net. Such as Google Maps.

- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog

If you have a very strong WiFi signal (All bars lit up) the Nexus 7 will not flicker.

That is why the flicker went away on my Nexus 7 last night. I was sitting in a strong signal location.
When I went upstairs I had a weaker signal and that is when the flicker was noticeable again.

So, that tells me the WiFi chip in the Nexus 7 is a cheap piece of crapolla.

- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTinker

I think we have a few things going on..

- There is flicker from truly faulty displays (lines of pixels/panels going out, fluttering, etc.)
- There is flicker from Prism or some type of dynamic contrast.

- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkovich

Hi all, i can confirm that it's somehow software related. What i mean is not that the hardware is OK, but that software can fix it.

I thought it's somewhat related to the Nvidia Prism Technology inside the tablet, trying to setup the screen and optimizing something. It is related to this in my case. I rooted and used an app on the play store to stop that feature. Now i can tell you that both 4.1.2 and 4.2 are flicker free. Somehow on 4.2 this process is much more aggressive and i think that Prism is on all the time, not only when you are watching videos, even on the homescreen.

PS: ...the Prism Feature optimizes the screen, and it really saves battery...but you have some screen problems.

Fix mentioned above:
[GUIDE][FIX] Nvidia PRISM/smartdimmer
- - -

Supporting articles:

The Ultimate Nexus 7 Troubleshooting Guide: 6 Potential Problems and How to Fix Them
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtogeek.com

However, many people have also reported disabling Wi-Fi optimization removes the flicker. To do so, open the Settings screen, tap Wi-Fi, tap the menu button, tap Advanced, and uncheck Wi-Fi optimization. Of course, this will also impact battery life.

- - -
[fix] An easy way to solve the screen flicker with just a scotch tape
Pictures are dead but the claim is that scotch tape on the WiFi antenna solves the flicker (some disassembly required). This claim is refuted, but seems to work for many.
- - - - - -

Original post:
Quote:

So I was very lucky to be able to go to Google I/O this year (don't hold it against me).

My Nexus 7 flickers horrifically when the brightness is at minimum and Chrome is loading a new page. I'm hoping someone (or a few of you) can reproduce this to make sure I don't have a lemon. If its something correctable by an ota update I'll keep my unit, but if not I only have tomorrow to exchange.

Anyone else experiencing this?

29th June 2012, 07:59 AM |#2  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 1,068

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerwuedo5

So I was very lucky to be able to go to Google i/o this year (don't hold it against me).

My Nexus 7 flickers horrifically when the brightness is at minimum and Chrome is loading a new page. I'm hoping someone (or a few of you) can reproduce this to make sure I don't have a lemon. If its something correctable by an ota update I'll keep my unit, but if not I only have tomorrow to exchange.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Can you take a video? I haven't heard anything like that. If anything it sounds like a hardware problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
29th June 2012, 08:06 AM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Phoenix

More
My wife and son are asleep in the room so I can't do a video. I found another thread about the One X getting an immediate update to cure screen flicker. I'll probably talk to the Googlers about it tomorrow, but I wanted to post a thread to be available for future queries.
29th June 2012, 10:17 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
It seems to be a common issue with Tegra 3 devices. HTC fixed it pretty promptly so I expect Google/Asus will get it fixed even soon if it does turn out to be a common problem.
29th June 2012, 01:50 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
This is an issue with Transformer Prime as well, maybe Nvidia still hasn't fixed their drivers. It has come and gone with different firmware updates, most recently it's back again... Seach for "transformer prime screen tearing" for videos of it. Does it look similar to what you saw?
29th June 2012, 02:48 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Phoenix

More
So the connection is the Tegra 3, then. Good to know.

My issue is not like the screen tear. Mine is the entire display flickers like it was backlit by a candle. I'm using Thomas Edison's tablet from the 19th century.

Also, it ONLY happens on page load in Chrome and with brightness below about 10% on the slider. I'll talk to Google today and relay what comes from that.
The Following User Says Thank You to soccerwuedo5 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift soccerwuedo5 Ad-Free
29th June 2012, 04:26 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Why don't you just exchange it?
29th June 2012, 05:56 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Sounds like a possibly defective backlighting module... I'd exchange it.

Don
29th June 2012, 06:29 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
It sounds very similar to the HTC One X issues which were fixed by a software update. It's hard to say without seeing the screen flicker though as there seem to be various screen issues that people refer to as "flicker".
29th June 2012, 07:29 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 447

More
While you are at it, test if USB storage works on your N7
29th June 2012, 07:40 PM |#11  
Flag Huddersfield
Thanks Meter: 305

Donate to Me
More
The HTC One X had the same problem.if not worse. Flickered on any brightness level on a grey background.but HTC fixed it so it is a very good chance it is software issue with yours. Give it a few months first?

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)