Hi there everyone !
Been a long time since there's been an update of DarkyROM via XDA.
Well - I'm setting out to change that.
In case people didn't know I'm an admin over on DarkyROM known as "Totallydubbed"
Anyway, I'm sure most of you know me from my ROM flashing videos, but just in case...I thought I would mention that to break the ice - not quite winter, but still.
We are very proud to present DarkyROM Black Edition!
Warnings & Disclaimers:
-This ROM is only for the Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000) ONLY -> I can't stress this enough. Please do NOT flash this on another device
-Please respect one another in this thread - any bashing and/or flaming will be directly reported to moderators. Respect to be respected, that's my motto; And please no comparing or asking for comparisons of other ROMs
-If something goes wrong, report it here and/or on DarkyROM, we will try to resolve it, but cannot guarantee it
-We are NOT responsible for you damaging your phone in any way, be it bricking or you literally throwing it at a brick wall, and bricking it.
-Mirror link on Dev-Host
- Based on Android 4.0.4 AOSP
- Extras from CM9, AOKP and Slim
- Clean stock Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich theme
- Fast & responsive user interface
- Fast & reliable GPS
- Good battery life
- BLN support [backlight notifications]
- Voodoo Sound
- T9 Dialer
- Extended statusbar toggles
- Smooth Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich Launcher
- Google Apps
- Fully rooted
- Galaxy S III ringtones, SMS and alarm sounds
- Easy & fast install engine
- Semaphore ICS 1.2.5s Kernel
Before you even think about installing this, please make a backup of your current configuration.
No one is responsible when your data gets destroyed.
Here is a video guide:
Here is the written guide
0-If you're coming from an older ROM, like Froyo; follow these steps;
- Flash a GB ROM via ODIN to get the GB bootloaders
- Then follow the guide bellow
1-If you're coming from a Gingerbread (2.3) ROM, follow these steps;
- Have your phone rooted with CWM
- Make a NANDROID backup & Titanium backup & backup anything you need or find important on a PC
- Download the latest CM9 (nightly) - its the one at the top of the list (ensure it's CM9, and NOT CM7) & Download DarkyROM v11
- Put both ROMs on your INTERNAL SD card
- Enter Recovery by switching off the phone, and holding the 3 button combo (VOL UP + Home + POWER)
- Once in recovery, flash the latest CM9 (nightly)
- As it's trying to flash, it will get into a bootloop - so re-enter recovery (by either holding: VOL UP + HOME + POWER, until it reboots, OR by pulling the battery, then entering it)
- Once back in CWM, re-flash CM9 - however this time it will not bootloop, and fully install
- Reboot phone
- Once the phone has booted into CM9 (give it a good 5mins to boot) - Re-enter recovery, by holding the power button, which will then give you the option to go straight into recovery via the extended power menu on CM9
- In CWM Recovery "wipe data / factory reset" and "wipe cache" and in "advanced" wipe dalvik-cache"
- Go to "Mounts and storage" and mount all availaible partitions (like /sdcard) -> Don't worry if you can't mount "emmc", it's just the external sd-card
- Flash DarkyROM v11.0 Black Edition
- Reboot (give it again 5mins to boot)
2-If you're coming from any other ICS ROM (or upgrading from DarkyROM v11.0), follow these steps;
(Wiping is optional - ie factory resetting via CWM - but I would personally advise it to avoid problems, but again, it isn't needed nor obligatory)
- Go to the CWM Recovery (Press Volume Up + Home + Power when phone is switched off)
- and "wipe cache" and "advanced >> wipe dalvik-cache"
- Go to "Mounts and storage" and mount all availaible partitions (like /sdcard)
- Don't worry if you can't mount "emmc", it's just the external sd-card
- Flash DarkyROM v11.0 Black Edition
3-If for some reason you want to change modem, after having flashed the ROM:
-Grab Perka's file stash
-Buy the pro if you want too (I have the pro version )
-Navigate: samsung -> ICS_CM_Modems -> flash one of the ones you want - I just flashed and tested ZSJPG, and it worked/flashed fine.
-The files are stored in your internal sd card - in "perkafilestash" folder
-Go into CWM and flash the modem.
-Now after reboot, go into settings, and in about phone, your baseband (modem) will now be changed!
Tips & Tricks:
-To take a screenshot press VOL DOWN + Power
-Enabling Wi-fi Direct -> Just enable "Netfilter" in the Semaphore app, and wi-fi direct/tethering will work
-OC'ing and under-clocking -> Use the Semaphore app
-To make the phone seem faster/snappier, make the window & transition animation scales to 0.5x under settings -> Developer Options
-If you have problems with your launcher (like zeam launcher after a TB restore, doubling apps) - then restart the launcher and/or clear data/cache
-If you want some stock apps, check out this thread - here it will flash some stock apps found in the S3 - There will be some things that would have changed (like settings menu etc), to get back to DarkyROM's look, just flash the backup that would have been made (from flashing this), which will be located on your internal SD card -> under the folder "universalflasher" -> I have tested it myself, and it works as intended
-To have FM radio, install Spirit FM -> If it means that much to you, then paying for an app like that, is very much worth it.
-To have additional languages (for the time being), you can install "Swift Key"
-Download link to the DarkyROM v11 Boot Animation - This is a CWM flashable zip, for people that want it back on ICS.
-If you want a lower DPI - Use the Nitrality app to edit the DPI settings - The default DPI is 240, although you can go as low as 182 DPI !
Finally, if you like the ROM - please do give the thread a 5 star rating, give this post a healthy Thumbs UP, and last but not least, donate to the man himself, Joel:
-The DarkyROM Crew