[GUIDE] Recovering Recovery/Obtaining SKB

Search This thread

eppeP

Nov 29, 2011
Guys i received my UID: 0x384018141206297 in ubuntu then i converted it to SBK by placing there 0384018141206297 and i get SBK : 0x8A6BD301 0x056E0700 0x21BDE402 0xD6B0F302 . But when im running v8 nvflash i get error after choosing (1,2,3 or 4) i get "Command send failed (usb write failed)" Drivers are ok . Whats the problem

That SBK is for 0x0038401814120629, either whatever converter you used is broken or you entered it wrong.
The SBK you want is 0xE9FEC201 0x5FFBDB01 0x1BB13F03 0xC8022103.

marcin2010

Mar 13, 2011
I was using blackhunter's calc online and it gave me wrong sbk. When i used sbk calc tool it gave me right one

Dhont

Feb 2, 2013
Brecht
Terminal help

Recently I decided to upgrade to ICS. True ICS, new bootloader and stuff from my quazi-ICS install (HC bootloader, ICS rom)
This sounds easy, however, my recovery was too old!
Being used to using my forgiving Samsung SGS2X, I just flashed a NEW recovery while IN recovery - thus REMOVING recovery. (rather than using the problem-free Acer Recovery Installer via google play like smart people do)

Heres where it begins.

symtoms:
-Boots to ACER logo and stops
-Refuses to read update.zip package from microSD/USB (likely, as the recovery was corrupted!)
-I can enter APX mode however.
I have no recovery, no boot, no ADB mode, no way to read internal flash.

I did do a NANDROID backup, which is immensely important and EVERYONE should have at least ONE of these, due to your UID being recorded. This is where my problem came in. The NANDROID backup was on the internal storage!

So, I have a tablet that has no recovery, won't update.zip install, but WILL get to APX mode. I have NO UID, no SKB, no NANDROID backup. Solution is to send to acer? I think not!

Theres some brilliant people on this forum. One post in particular was golden. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23783875&postcount=9 by eppeP

"If you can get the device into APX mode it will answer the first read request with the UID."

This is 100% true, and he provided a simple source example but little instructions. I hope I can elaborate and make someone elses life easier.

Requirements:
-Ubuntu (I used 12.04 LTS)
-microUSB cable
-powered tablet (can't be dead)
-paper clip, tac, needle - something to hit reset with
-patience

Boot Ubuntu, can be from CD/DVD/USB/network or installed copy
Install GCC, lsusb, libusb-1.0.x, libusb-1.0-dev - you NEED these! (hoping these are the only ones required for fresh installs)
Grab the code eppeP posted and save to a text file as apx.c
fire up terminal, browse to where the apx.c file is ('cd /home/<user>/Desktop/APX' for me)
run the following commands

sudo su
gcc apx.c -o apx -lusb-1.0

You should now have a file called apx on your desktop, that is ready to run.
If you get errors, you are likely missing a package. This should be fairly straight-forward, but refer to google and post the results please!

Next, pop your tablet into APX mode - plug in microUSB, hold the RESET button, and press power for around 4 sec. Windows gave me a 'usb detected' noise but Ubuntu just don't care.

Now run the following commands (assuming same root terminal permissions. If not run sudo su beforehand)

./apx

the terminal window should spit back to you a 15 character UID if everythings correct. 0x123456789ABCDEF (yours should be different combos of those hex values)

Proceed to guard this with your life! (although now you know how to retrieve again provided APX works)

now visit http://vache-android.com/v1/index.php?site=sbk
and enter your UID. The website should spit back a series of 4, 8 character keys known as your SKB. Guard that too in case the website ever disappears.

Hard parts over. The tablet will live on now.
Next - choose how to recover!

I used a file called:

V8-UNL-ICS-HC-bootloader-MULTI-cwm.zip 32MB
MD5: 33D6692A997649111995CB690EF73213

I sadly lost the link to this package but im sure if you search google/this forum you will find it.

It uses nvflash. Amazing program. Theres also A500APXflash, based off nvflash. The rest mainly require ADB or USB debugging which you can't set as the tablet won't boot so don't waste your time with proggies like afterota (which won't work if you only have APX) You can also do everything in ubuntu with nvflash and the terminal. just read the commands from the batch, they should be nearly identical commands in either environment.

I booted back to windows, ran the V8.bat file, and followed instructions.
In 30 seconds my iconia was booting recovery again and that ROM I initially tried to install worked perfect!

After it booted, I realized I used 44% of my battery attempting to recover the tablet. This whole process takes maybe 30 minutes first-time through, getting ubuntu packages took the longest. LiveBoot will want to update everything as well, which I never considered, and usually fails (due to live install). Everything should be installed from Terminal if possible if using a live distro. It should be one command-line for the packages, reference exact package names in the package manager maybe.
My nandroid backup was still on the flash though! I knew enough that a 'hard reset' wasn't going to fix anything, so I never erased any userdata ironically, but botched the ROM and recovery.

This is the 100% fool-proof way to get your UID using APX. If its your only method this is your only option.

K i need some answers ... am new to unbuntu but as i also have no other choise ...this is the method .. :/
i installed the packages and the apx.c file, am using the 12.10version of unbuntu

My question : i open terminal and type : dhont@ubuntu:~$ cd /home/dhont/desktop/apx' ... next line gives me
> "here i can type again i assume" so when i type :
> sudo su gcc apx.c -o apx -lusb-1.0 doesnt do much and get a new line staring with : >
can someone pls help me cuz am bit confused ..
tried different ways already .. as giving the command behind the directory ... i also just end up with .... >

pls help the terminal noob :)

JP9497

Feb 8, 2011
help please, i am new to ubuntu but pretty good with computers i am sure i installed the package but maybe not when i run the gcc apx.c -o apx -lusb-1.0 it returns this
root@tom-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:/home/tom/APX# gcc apx.c -o apx -lusb
apx.c:1:31: fatal error: libusb-1.0/libusb.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

any help please i am running ubuntu 12.10

eppeP

Nov 29, 2011
i open terminal and type : dhont@ubuntu:~$ cd /home/dhont/desktop/apx'

That is not supposed to contain a single quotation mark, that is what messes up the rest for you.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

root@tom-HP-2000-Notebook-PC:/home/tom/APX# gcc apx.c -o apx -lusb
apx.c:1:31: fatal error: libusb-1.0/libusb.h: No such file or directory

The file you are missing is part of the libusb-1.0-dev package, so you should probably double check that you have that installed.

IchBins1978

Mar 17, 2011
Failed to open device

Hey!

When i run ./apx it says

root@tillKubuntu:/home/till/Dokumente# gcc apx.c -o apx -lusb-1.0
apx.c: In Funktion »main«:
apx.c:22:17: Warnung: Format »%lx« erwartet Argumenttyp »long unsigned int«, aber Argument 2 hat Typ »uint64_t« [-Wformat]
root@tillKubuntu:/home/till/Dokumente# ./apx
Error: Failed to open device!

When i run lsusb it shows

root@tillKubuntu:/home/till/Dokumente# lsusb
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 05fe:0005 Chic Technology Corp. Viewmaster 4D Browser Mouse
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0955:7330 NVidia Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

What is wrong? (sorry formyEnglish) I need help please

Michale32086

Jun 18, 2012
With afore apologies for opening up an old thread.....

Moscow Desire has been helping me in another thread rescuing a defunct A500... Despite that most gracious assistance and infinite patience I figured I would A> go bug someone else for a while :D and 2> go straight to the horses mouth (so to speak.... Hope that wasn't offensive.. :D)..

Ahem....

OK, now that I have extracted my foot from my mouth (fingers??) here's my dilemma...

I have an A500 that I had to do a firmware restore to get it to boot. I was surprised when I did a successful restore that the device was pattern locked..

You can refer to this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2131327

... for the details...

MD put me on to this thread here as a way to obtain the UID and salvation.. For the device that is.. :D

So, I booted up into Ubuntu (haven't been in LINUX since Fedora) and followed the instructions...

I checked, re-checked and then checked all over again to make sure I had everything right..

But, when I ran 'gcc apx.c -o apx -lusb-1.0' I get the following errors....

Code:
apx.c:1:10: error: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
apx.c:2:10: error: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
apx.c:3:10: error: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
apx.c: In function ‘main’:
apx.c:10:5: error: unknown type name ‘libusb_context’
apx.c:10:27: error: ‘NULL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
apx.c:10:27: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
apx.c:11:5: error: unknown type name ‘libusb_device_handle’
apx.c:14:16: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
apx.c:22:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘printf’ [enabled by default]
apx.c:22:32: error: ‘uint64_t’ undeclared (first use in this function)
apx.c:22:41: error: expected expression before ‘)’ token
apx.c:27:17: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘printf’ [enabled by default]
apx.c:32:13: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘printf’ [enabled by default]
apx.c:38:9: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘printf’ [enabled by default]

The horsepower on my workstation is a Corei7 with an Nvidia GeForce 550 Ti and 12G RAM...

I have read thru this entire thread for a similar issue described, but my eyes kinda glazed by page 4... I *DID* gather from all the other responses that my problem is likely a basic LINUX problem as opposed to an A500 specific problem. But I am not sure..

Any assistance would be most appreciated

Michale

eppeP

Nov 29, 2011
apx.c:22:17: Warnung: Format »%lx« erwartet Argumenttyp »long unsigned int«, aber Argument 2 hat Typ »uint64_t« [-Wformat]
You proably don't have a 64bit system, replace the printout as described earlier in the thread.

root@tillKubuntu:/home/till/Dokumente# lsusb
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 05fe:0005 Chic Technology Corp. Viewmaster 4D Browser Mouse
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0955:7330 NVidia Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I expect the APX device to have ID 0955:7820, there is no such device connected. If you belive 0955:7330 is the tablet in APX mode you can replace 7820 with 7330 in the code.

Michale32086

Jun 18, 2012
Hi eppeP. Thanx for the reply...

You proably don't have a 64bit system, replace the printout as described earlier in the thread.

I did read about the x32/x64 issue. My MB is pretty high end, so I would expect it to be 64-bit.. But, just to try, I did switch the txt in the apx.c file with no luck..

I expect the APX device to have ID 0955:7820, there is no such device connected. If you belive 0955:7330 is the tablet in APX mode you can replace 7820 with 7330 in the code.

OK, I think I am going to feel like an idiot here..

But am I supposed to have the A500 connected in APX mode when I compile the apx file?? The instructions seem to indicate that you compile from the apx.c file first and then plug in the A500 in APX mode..

Thanx again for the reply..

Michale

eppeP

Nov 29, 2011
Code:
apx.c:1:10: error: #include expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
[/QUOTE]
The message is pretty clear, there is only two ways you can write include statements
[CODE]#include <FILENAME>
or
Code:
#include "FILENAME"
You are doing something else, and the compiler does not like it.

If you had copied the code as described in the first post the first line in apx.c would have read
Code:
#include <libusb-1.0/libusb.h>
so you should probably go back and try to copy it again.

Reactions: Michale32086

Michale32086

Jun 18, 2012
The message is pretty clear, there is only two ways you can write include statements
Code:
#include <FILENAME>
or
Code:
#include "FILENAME"
You are doing something else, and the compiler does not like it.

If you had copied the code as described in the first post the first line in apx.c would have read
Code:
so you should probably go back and try to copy it again.

I shall indeed... :D

OK I see the problem..

In the current thread that we are in now (1st page), your code just has the:

#include
#include
#include

.... statements with nothing else after it..

Following the LINK on the first page to your actual post, that DOES have the statements as you indicate...

OK, NOW I think I have a handle on it.. :D

Michale

Last edited:

eppeP

Nov 29, 2011
I did read about the x32/x64 issue. My MB is pretty high end, so I would expect it to be 64-bit..
It is not only a question of what the hardware supports, it is also about what the system you are running on top of it supports. If you run a 32bit OS you will be in 32bit mode even if the hardware supports 64bit.

But, just to try, I did switch the txt in the apx.c file with no luck..
That is not very descriptive.
If you are still getting a size warning that long is not the same size as uin64_t you did successfully not replace the printf.

But am I supposed to have the A500 connected in APX mode when I compile the apx file?? The instructions seem to indicate that you compile from the apx.c file first and then plug in the A500 in APX mode..

No, the tablet does not have to be connected when you compile.
I do however assume it was connected when you ran lsusb (as it would be kind of pointless to include that information otherwise) and there is no device with the expected ID in that list.

When you run the program it will try to connect to a device with ID 0955:7820, if there is no such device available it will fail.
If you believe 0955:7330 (that is some NVidia device that you do have connected) is the tablet you can replace 7820 with 7330 in apx.c, recompile, and try to connect to that instead.

Reactions: Michale32086

Michale32086

Jun 18, 2012
Actually, my mistake..

The TXT for the apx.c that appears to be in error was from the first page of this thread...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1624645

My bust...

Michale

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

WOOT!!!!

Success!!

Once I actually had the correct apx.c file, it went perfect!!

Thanx a bunch, eppeP!!

Much appreciated....

Michale

IchBins1978

Mar 17, 2011
nothing.........

Thank you for answer!

Now i changed the script to

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdint.h>

int main(void)
{
unsigned char data[64];
int received_length;
int r = 1;
libusb_context* ctx = NULL;
libusb_device_handle* dev_handle = NULL;

libusb_init(&ctx);
dev_handle = libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid(ctx, 0x0955, 0x7330);
if(dev_handle)
{
r = libusb_bulk_transfer(dev_handle, 0x81, data, sizeof(data), &received_length, 10000);
if (r == 0)
{
if(received_length == 8)
{
printf("uid: 0x%08X%08X\n", *((uint32_t*)data+1), *((uint32_t*)data+0));
}
else
{
r = 1;
printf("Error: We got %d bytes of data insetad of the 8 bytes we expected...\n", received_length);
}
}
else
{
printf("Error: USB read failed!\n");
}
libusb_release_interface(dev_handle, 0);
}
else
{
printf("Error: Failed to open device!\n");
}
libusb_exit(ctx);
return r;

than i run in Konsole and get this
root@tillKubuntu:/home/till/Videos# gcc apx.c -o apx -lusb-1.0
apx.c: In Funktion »main«:
apx.c:42:5: Fehler: expected declaration or statement at end of input

no apx file in directory after that

Any Idea?

metallforest

Account currently disabled
Feb 5, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Hello all, i got an iconia a500 and I think is bricked, I was seeing my pictures and suddenly the tablet hang, so I reset it and now it doen't boot at all! When I turn it on ACER logo appears then ANDROID logo but nothing else happens. I've tried to boot pressing Power and volume- but a message appears on the top left corner that says:

"Erasing Cache Partition before SD ppdate...

SD update cmd:recovery
--update_package=SDCARD:update.zip

Booting recovery kernel image"

After that an Android image apperas with a yellow triangle with a Exclamation sign appears the after a few seconds it reboots the ACER and ANDROID logos. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll try to make a video of it then upload it so you can see what I mean

Last edited:

eppeP

Nov 29, 2011
Hello all, i got an iconia a500 and I think is bricked, I was seeing my pictures and suddenly the tablet hang, so I reset it and now it doen't boot at all! When I turn it on ACER logo appears then ANDROID logo but nothing else happens. I've tried to boot pressing Power and volume- but a message appears on the top left corner that says:

"Erasing Cache Partition before SD ppdate...

SD update cmd:recovery
--update_package=SDCARD:update.zip

Booting recovery kernel image"

After that an Android image apperas with a yellow triangle with a Exclamation sign appears the after a few seconds it reboots the ACER and ANDROID logos. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll try to make a video of it then upload it so you can see what I mean

I don't see how this belongs in this thread, at which point do you have a problem retrieving the UID as described here?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recently I decided to upgrade to ICS. True ICS, new bootloader and stuff from my quazi-ICS install (HC bootloader, ICS rom)
    This sounds easy, however, my recovery was too old!
    Being used to using my forgiving Samsung SGS2X, I just flashed a NEW recovery while IN recovery - thus REMOVING recovery. (rather than using the problem-free Acer Recovery Installer via google play like smart people do)

Heres where it begins.

symtoms:
    -Boots to ACER logo and stops
    -Refuses to read update.zip package from microSD/USB (likely, as the recovery was corrupted!)
    -I can enter APX mode however.
    I have no recovery, no boot, no ADB mode, no way to read internal flash.

I did do a NANDROID backup, which is immensely important and EVERYONE should have at least ONE of these, due to your UID being recorded. This is where my problem came in. The NANDROID backup was on the internal storage!

So, I have a tablet that has no recovery, won't update.zip install, but WILL get to APX mode. I have NO UID, no SKB, no NANDROID backup. Solution is to send to acer? I think not!

Theres some brilliant people on this forum. One post in particular was golden. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23783875&postcount=9 by eppeP

"If you can get the device into APX mode it will answer the first read request with the UID."

This is 100% true, and he provided a simple source example but little instructions. I hope I can elaborate and make someone elses life easier.

Requirements:
    -Ubuntu (I used 12.04 LTS)
    -microUSB cable
    -powered tablet (can't be dead)
    -paper clip, tac, needle - something to hit reset with
    -patience

Boot Ubuntu, can be from CD/DVD/USB/network or installed copy
    Install GCC, lsusb, libusb-1.0.x, libusb-1.0-dev - you NEED these! (hoping these are the only ones required for fresh installs)
    Grab the code eppeP posted and save to a text file as apx.c
    fire up terminal, browse to where the apx.c file is ('cd /home/<user>/Desktop/APX' for me)
    run the following commands

sudo su
    gcc apx.c -o apx -lusb-1.0

You should now have a file called apx on your desktop, that is ready to run.
    If you get errors, you are likely missing a package. This should be fairly straight-forward, but refer to google and post the results please!

Next, pop your tablet into APX mode - plug in microUSB, hold the RESET button, and press power for around 4 sec. Windows gave me a 'usb detected' noise but Ubuntu just don't care.

Now run the following commands (assuming same root terminal permissions. If not run sudo su beforehand)

./apx

the terminal window should spit back to you a 15 character UID if everythings correct. 0x123456789ABCDEF (yours should be different combos of those hex values)

Proceed to guard this with your life! (although now you know how to retrieve again provided APX works)

now visit http://vache-android.com/v1/index.php?site=sbk MOD EDIT: Link no longer valid. SBK generator is available in the forums. Just check @dibb_nz profile signature and there's a link to a downloadable version in the guides.
    and enter your UID. The website should spit back a series of 4, 8 character keys known as your SKB. Guard that too in case the website ever disappears.

Hard parts over. The tablet will live on now.
    Next - choose how to recover!

I used a file called:

V8-UNL-ICS-HC-bootloader-MULTI-cwm.zip 32MB
    MD5: 33D6692A997649111995CB690EF73213

I sadly lost the link to this package but im sure if you search google/this forum you will find it.

It uses nvflash. Amazing program. Theres also A500APXflash, based off nvflash. The rest mainly require ADB or USB debugging which you can't set as the tablet won't boot so don't waste your time with proggies like afterota (which won't work if you only have APX) You can also do everything in ubuntu with nvflash and the terminal. just read the commands from the batch, they should be nearly identical commands in either environment.

I booted back to windows, ran the V8.bat file, and followed instructions.
    In 30 seconds my iconia was booting recovery again and that ROM I initially tried to install worked perfect!

After it booted, I realized I used 44% of my battery attempting to recover the tablet. This whole process takes maybe 30 minutes first-time through, getting ubuntu packages took the longest. LiveBoot will want to update everything as well, which I never considered, and usually fails (due to live install). Everything should be installed from Terminal if possible if using a live distro. It should be one command-line for the packages, reference exact package names in the package manager maybe.
    My nandroid backup was still on the flash though! I knew enough that a 'hard reset' wasn't going to fix anything, so I never erased any userdata ironically, but botched the ROM and recovery.

This is the 100% fool-proof way to get your UID using APX. If its your only method this is your only option.
    It doesn't work correctly for me. It gives me only the last 8 digits of my uid. The rest is filled up with zeroes.
    You are probably using a 32bit system, while the others have been using a 64bit system.
    Try replacing
    Code:
    printf("uid: %#016lx\n", *(uint64_t*)data);
    with
    Code:
        printf("uid: 0x%016llx\n", *(uint64_t*)data);
    or
    Code:
    printf("uid: 0x%08X%08X\n", *((uint32_t*)data+1), *((uint32_t*)data+0));

I would expect either to work.
    Ok. I am uploading the files that you need to my Dropbox. I'll send you a pm with the link. If anyone else would like a copy please pm me rather than post here.

There are 4 files in there.

apx.c. Thanks for veryifing that it worked for you.

Shortcut to blackthund3r_A500_APX-Flash_Tool webpage hosted somewhere else. Thank you blackthund3r.

HC BL TWRP Recovery.a500apx. This is number one from blackthund3r's APX Tool Bundle Maker Market.
    V8 BL Thor1.73.a500apx. Again, thank you blackthund3r. It is number 17. It would be best if you just use the bundle maker and don't download those 2.

You can use Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1 found here. Thanks Civato. You can use any rom you like once you get cwm going. It's a pretty good place to start.

I've also put in a stock rooted HC rom. So if you are want to go back to stock 3.1. The process below will still apply. It is stock 3.1 ACER_A500_4.010.38_COM_GEN1. Thanks Vache.

I was where you are with your tablet, and this worked fine for me.

Step 1.
    APXWalkthrough02.jpg
    Step 2.
    APXWalkthrough03.jpg

Step 3.
    APXWalkthrough04.jpg

Step 4. I used number 17.
    APXWalkthrough05.jpg
    Step 5.
    APXWalkthrough07.jpg
    Step 6.
    APXWalkthrough08.jpg

Step 7. I used the default since my tab was fried.
    APXWalkthrough09.jpg
    Step 8.
    APXWalkthrough10.jpg

Once you are in APX mode and plugged into the pc you should see the message APX device connected. Choose the next arrow, once it runs for a few seconds it will ask you to confirm that the APX download mode has started.
    21_Old_Logo1-568x412.jpg

Once it has. Confirm and wait for it to finish. Get into CWM, flash the rom and you should be good to go.

Once you get settled in go visit Skrylax, Civato, srbeen, ezterry, eppeP, Vache, blackthund3r, Thor, MoscowDesire, (hope I didn't forget someone...) and click the thanks button for making this possible.
    I don't know if it will help or not. But I installed every package that came up when I searched for libusb. Well, I didn't download the iPhone stuff...
    But I got the rest of it.

Use the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev libusb-1.0-0

Now you can go ahead and compile apx.c :)
    does anybody know another way to generate the SBK?
    Yes, the algorithm it is quite simple and can without to much trouble be reversed out of known UID/SBK pair.
    A short description http://projects.pappkartong.se/a500/#generatesbk.

Seriously, what genius decided the only way to flash your tablet was via a magic number you have to get off a website?
    Acer, except for the part where you can actually get it which was most likely not part of the plan.

when i try to get to where the file is on my desktop in terminal it does nothing else i just get this symbol > and if i keep typing the next steps it does nothing but give me the same symbol again i don't know where i went wrong
    help please
    You will have to be much more specific if you want help.
    Describe exactly what did you did and the results, step by step.