[Q] what is Gsiff_daemon and why is it destroying my battery?

116 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By murdermonkey9000, Senior Member on 6th July 2012, 02:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st August 2012, 10:07 AM |#181  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Hey this was happening to me here and there I just didn't realize until i came across this thread. I am on Telus with an i747m. I was able to recreate it using the show cpu and hot boot method (for hot boot I just selected it out of the restart options of the ROM)
I am runing Kyan rom with faux kernel
21st August 2012, 02:47 PM |#182  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Update:

I have had no adverse affects to removing gsiff.daemon so far but my battery life has been improved some more after removing it. Woke up to this after a full charge last night. I have been trying to find new ways to increase my battery life and have put a few things together that I think should help. I used App Quarantine to stop all the bloatware from running in the background, CPU Sleeper to turn off the cores i don't need processing while in standby, and finally in settings->Developer options-> force GPU rendering is checked off and limit background processes has been set to 4. Also turned off window and transition animations. There are some things I just don't use like WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFC. As far as i know nothing I have done has affected those but only someone who uses them regularly will notice a difference.

My Device
Bell - Galaxy S3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-21-07-24-40.jpg
Views:	1699
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1273360  
21st August 2012, 05:57 PM |#183  
Flag Owings Mills
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deveron888

Update:

I have had no adverse affects to removing gsiff.daemon so far but my battery life has been improved some more after removing it. Woke up to this after a full charge last night. I have been trying to find new ways to increase my battery life and have put a few things together that I think should help. I used App Quarantine to stop all the bloatware from running in the background, CPU Sleeper to turn off the cores i don't need processing while in standby, and finally in settings->Developer options-> force GPU rendering is checked off and limit background processes has been set to 4. Also turned off window and transition animations. There are some things I just don't use like WiFi, Bluetooth, and NFC. As far as i know nothing I have done has affected those but only someone who uses them regularly will notice a difference.

My Device
Bell - Galaxy S3

Reboot your phone then force a hot boot. It comes back.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
21st August 2012, 07:56 PM |#184  
Flag Edmonton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage XII

Reboot your phone then force a hot boot. It comes back.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

After taking a look i see its still there. Tried renaming it, moving it and deleting it but nothing seems to work. Any ideas on how to delete it?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------
21st August 2012, 08:48 PM |#185  
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deveron888

After taking a look i see its still there. Tried renaming it, moving it and deleting it but nothing seems to work. Any ideas on how to delete it?

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

There are many ways to rename/remove gsiff_daemon. I personally use the command line or ghost commander, but you can use root explorer, or any other root file manager. The terminal commands can be run using adb shell or a terminal emulator app:
Code:
android:/ $ su
android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /system
android:/ # cd /system/bin
android:/system/bin # mv gsiff_daemon gsiff_daemon.backup
android:/system/bin # cd /
android:/ # mount -o remount,ro /system
android:/ # reboot
The extra remount,ro is just insurance that the changes have been saved before rebooting. If after rebooting gsiff_daemon is still there, then you've done something wrong, or installed a new ROM...

I can't give step by step instructions for graphical file manager apps, but the basic steps are 1. Remount /system as read/write, 2. rename /system/bin/gsiff_daemon 3. reboot. If you're clever you can probably figure out how to do this without rebooting, but it takes all of 2 minutes, and insures no old gsiff_daemon process is left running.

To restore gsiff_daemon, just rename gsiff_daemon.backup to gsiff_daemon.
The Following User Says Thank You to J M L For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift J M L Ad-Free
21st August 2012, 10:23 PM |#186  
Flag Edmonton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J M L

There are many ways to rename/remove gsiff_daemon. I personally use the command line or ghost commander, but you can use root explorer, or any other root file manager. The terminal commands can be run using adb shell or a terminal emulator app:

Code:
android:/ $ su
android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /system
android:/ # cd /system/bin
android:/system/bin # mv gsiff_daemon gsiff_daemon.backup
android:/system/bin # cd /
android:/ # mount -o remount,ro /system
android:/ # reboot
The extra remount,ro is just insurance that the changes have been saved before rebooting. If after rebooting gsiff_daemon is still there, then you've done something wrong, or installed a new ROM...

I can't give step by step instructions for graphical file manager apps, but the basic steps are 1. Remount /system as read/write, 2. rename /system/bin/gsiff_daemon 3. reboot. If you're clever you can probably figure out how to do this without rebooting, but it takes all of 2 minutes, and insures no old gsiff_daemon process is left running.

To restore gsiff_daemon, just rename gsiff_daemon.backup to gsiff_daemon.

Have you taken out gsiff_daemon on your phone?
22nd August 2012, 07:02 AM |#187  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Another member here that has renamed gsiff with no noticed adverse effects, I don't play games that use the gyro so I can't vouch for that, but everything else is the same, there were some worries of GPS locks taking longer, but this is not the case for me GPS is still very fast, under 20 seconds unless immediately after reboot, usually less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
22nd August 2012, 11:46 PM |#188  
Flag Edmonton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb433

Another member here that has renamed gsiff with no noticed adverse effects, I don't play games that use the gyro so I can't vouch for that, but everything else is the same, there were some worries of GPS locks taking longer, but this is not the case for me GPS is still very fast, under 20 seconds unless immediately after reboot, usually less.

I have renamed the file so it cant be used and have not run into any unusual problems, GPS works fine and the gyro seems to work in the game i tested. If a hot boot triggers it then maybe the file was never needed at all. would be kinda useless to make a process run after a hot boot right? Maybe if hot boots trigger it its supposed to be some sort of diagnostic or repair that android tries to run? lol but being a n00b here I guess thats all unlikely. I will keep an eye on anything and if there are any problems or tests that anyone can suggest I will try it out.
23rd August 2012, 09:31 AM |#189  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I renamed it and my battery life is where it should have been out of the box

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
23rd August 2012, 08:45 PM |#190  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Renaming seems to be the way to go for now. Haven't had any problems since renaming gsiff. Battery life is MUCH better now.

24th August 2012, 07:56 AM |#191  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
so best option is to rename the file? and that would require rooting right? i'm currently still stock, but considering rooting if only just to fix this...if i root and then follow steps in the topic to rename the file, the problem should go away?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)