- If you get to a point where you don't want to go any further, or things don't work, you can always flash the stock rom (extract the .tar.md5 from the zip) using Odin in your bootloader. Get that here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1755386
- Do not attempt this hack if you've disabled apps. Re-enable them first or use the stock ruu from above before attempting this. (You'll save yourself a bunch of time)
First off, you'll need some files. This basically flashes a custom system.img.ext4 which has your su binary. You then boot up and flash cwm or twrp
1. USB Drivers: http://tinyw.in/Fdoz
2. Odin: http://samsung-updates.com/Odin307.zip
3. One Rooted system.img tarball:
- Root66: A more proper rooted image than what I originally had to work with. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1762204
- Stripped down (unzip first), more details here on what this one is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1759642
-----http://goo.im/devs/invisiblek/i535/s...mg.tar.md5.zip (unzip this before trying to flash with odin)
- Stock: (although it does seem to have some sprint stuff for some reason)
-----http://goo.im/devs/invisiblek/i535/r...em.img.tar.zip (unzip this before trying to flash with odin)
-----mirror: http://tinyurl.com/tytillithz thanks tillithz!!
- CWM Recovery 22.214.171.124: http://goo.im/devs/invisiblek/i535/r....1.0-d2vzw.zip (unzip the recovery.img out)
Ok, lets get started....
1. Boot into Odin mode on the phone. Do this by powering off and then holding vol down, home and power to power on. Then press vol up to accept the disclaimer. Plug into your computer.
2. Fire up Odin (Heimdeil may work in linux, haven't tested) choose the PDA section and browse to wherever you downloaded rooted.system.img.tar then click flash. This takes awhile, be patient. Took me around 8 minutes to flash this.
3. It will auto reboot. It should boot up and thing should act mostly normal except that you'll be able to adb in and use su to take root
If you don't want a custom recovery, you may stop here. You are rooted.
Continuing on to get custom recovery on your device...
4. You'll need adb installed and working for this. If you don't know how, this isn't the thread for that. Open a command prompt and follow these commands:
<cd to the directory with the files you downloaded earlier>
(if you downloaded twrp8.img, use that instead of recovery.img in the commands)
adb push recovery.img /sdcard/ adb shell su dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 reboot recovery
EXTRA CREDIT: Hate the VZW boot logo and audio as much as I do? Flash this in CWM: http://www.mediafire.com/?m6urrypvx2c156p
Its a stock Samsung Boot animation (pulled from Blazer ROM)
You are welcome to join me in #verizons3 on irc.freenode.net for help
Thanks to many people...
Epic 4g Touch Team
rizdroid for this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...04&postcount=1 which i loosely followed to build our rooted system.img
Many others for bits an pieces for this whole thing
Q: It's not working!!! Keeps failing!!!
A: Try again. Turn the phone off (battery pull) and boot into download mode again
Q: Odin doesn't seem to be doing anything!
A: Be patient, it can take awhile sometimes. I've also noticed if you try to flash something, and leave the phone plugged in and try to flash something else it won't work. Unplug, then replug, then try flashing again
Q: Does this trip the flash counter?
Q: Can we flash custom kernels?
A: Not properly at this time. If we flash to our boot partition, we'll end up with this: http://i.imgur.com/Ci0gY.png We can still recover from this by booting into odin mode and flashing the stock boot.img, found here: http://goo.im/devs/invisiblek/i535/stock.kernel.tar