FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Desire HD GPS Fix

50 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By 19ninety, Member on 7th July 2012, 06:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
After having no GPS for about a year and getting annoyed with it not working I accidentally found a post about soldering wire to the contacts.
Well, rather than soldering I wondered if I could make a little tin foil antenna. Works a treat!! Pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030242.JPG
Views:	6079
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1183181   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030243.JPG
Views:	6509
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1183182  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 19ninety For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 19ninety Ad-Free

7th July 2012, 06:55 PM |#2  
Flag Växjö
Thanks Meter: 341

More
Nice

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium
9th July 2012, 12:13 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Seems like a great idea,, much easier than soldering,,,, did you sandwich the foil between two pieces of paper ,, was it easy to clip it back together with this mod.
Very tempted to try it.
9th July 2012, 02:06 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
hi,im struggling with enanche GPS signal too. just two questions..is it just aluminium foil ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Folie_2007.jpg ) or some other foil? and behind,is a piece of paper to cover motherboard contacts?
thanks in advance
14th July 2012, 07:08 PM |#5  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 301

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20mark

hi,im struggling with enanche GPS signal too. just two questions..is it just aluminium foil ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Folie_2007.jpg ) or some other foil? and behind,is a piece of paper to cover motherboard contacts?
thanks in advance

Any conducting foil should be good enough if you ask me. But look at other threads - about resistance/lenght of the antenna etc. - this one is quite a guess, but should be better than not having antenna at all. By the way, if you have broken antenna (the cover), you could apply this patch to the cover leaving the spring contacts to do the resto fo the job.

And more... A new cover (antenna) on eBay is about 6 pounds? (10 euros?) - is it worth of making this by yourself when you can get a new cover?
1st August 2012, 05:33 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ninety

After having no GPS for about a year and getting annoyed with it not working I accidentally found a post about soldering wire to the contacts.
Well, rather than soldering I wondered if I could make a little tin foil antenna. Works a treat!! Pics below:

Could you please post the URL to that web? I'd like to know how to open that cover

Thanks
1st August 2012, 09:11 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickowsky

Could you please post the URL to that web? I'd like to know how to open that cover

Thanks

It's just round the corner:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1318892

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to DЯΦ[email protected]П For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DЯΦ[email protected]П Ad-Free
3rd August 2012, 05:23 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
nice~ thanks..
6th August 2012, 07:02 PM |#9  
Flag Cassville, MO
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Template
Is it possible that you could upload a folding and cutting template? Also, (and I believe it was mentioned a bit back) it appears that you have a piece of paper behind the foil to prevent accidental contact with the board other than on the antenna points. Would something like this also work on the other antenna points?
25th August 2012, 07:01 PM |#10  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Nice idea .. but i am afraid of shorting motherboard contacts... Perhaps any more detail from you in the long run would be appreciated...

Also my spring contact broke as soon as i tried to pull it up. so may be soldering a wire would fix my GPS!!!
31st August 2012, 12:37 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Tried this. It helped a little but couldnt get a good connection and as soon as i moved the phone it would go
probably try to soldier a wire onto it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)