Slower performance after OTA Android 4.0.3 upgrade

Search This thread

Gromit2005

Jun 8, 2008
Hi,

After OTA upgrade from GingerBread 2.3.4 to ICS 4.0.3 (FW 3.33.720.6), my Sensation became a lot slower. The main difference is playing HD video. Before the update both MX Player and Vplayer could play both 720p and 1080p files using the HW decoder.

After the upgrade, the same 720p files are stuttering. Nothing has changed except for the OTA upgrade.
Reinstalling the players didn't help.

I ran Antutu Benchmark before the upgrade and received these results:

RAM: 685
CPU integer: 1623
CPU floating point: 706
2D graphics: 291
3D graphics: 1208
Database IO: 300
Write speed: 46
Read speed: 88

I ran Antutu Benchmark after the upgrade and received these results:

RAM: 996
CPU integer: 1542
CPU floating point: 668
2D graphics: 291
3D graphics: 1193
Database IO: 215
Write speed: 18
Read speed: 184

I think the main problem is the 60% decrease in the write speed.

Has anyone experienced this?

regards,
Gromit2005.

Last edited:

Sloopjoshb

Oct 31, 2010
Chicago
Slower than GB is a common complaint with ICS stock rom. Try ARHD 6.6.7 rom its my daily driver. I've found it faster and more stable than stock.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda app-developers app

Gromit2005

Jun 8, 2008
Slower than GB is a common complaint with ICS stock rom. Try ARHD 6.6.7 rom its my daily driver. I've found it faster and more stable than stock.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda app-developers app

Wouldn't flashing another ROM make me lose all my apps and their data? I would really like to avoid this.

regards,
Gromit2005

Last edited:

krazy_about_technology

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 3, 2008
Pune
Xiaomi 11T Pro
AFAIK, The 2d/3d hardware acceleration model has been changed in ICS and HTC has re-written their low level drivers because of that. These drivers are not optimized like GB drivers at present and hence the issue.

When I was running the ICS update for South East Asia region (3.32.xxxx base) , then also I had this issue. I moved to Indian ROM just to see whether they have done any progress in it (3.33.xxxx base) but its not improved at all.

And I have no hope for the future also, HTC Sensation is too old now for HTC to support now. Specially for reasons they can easily deny. But lets try to report this to HTC customer care and see what they say (although we all know the answers by now :| )

Gromit2005

Jun 8, 2008
AFAIK, The 2d/3d hardware acceleration model has been changed in ICS and HTC has re-written their low level drivers because of that. These drivers are not optimized like GB drivers at present and hence the issue.

When I was running the ICS update for South East Asia region (3.32.xxxx base) , then also I had this issue. I moved to Indian ROM just to see whether they have done any progress in it (3.33.xxxx base) but its not improved at all.

And I have no hope for the future also, HTC Sensation is too old now for HTC to support now. Specially for reasons they can easily deny. But lets try to report this to HTC customer care and see what they say (although we all know the answers by now :| )

I have reported this to HTC. May be if enough people will complain, they'll do something about...

laurcapa

Jun 26, 2011
Bucharest
Hello

A few days ago i have made tha last OTA update , It was not the update from ginger tu ICS , i have ICS for a while now , i now have the folowing software on the phone .

Android : 4.0.3
Sense :3.6
Software number 3.33.401.6
Build Number 3.33.401.6.CL391535
Kernel : 3.0.16-g31a4fc7

Since then I have noticed a delay in oppennig aplications , even those specific to sense like the clock , mail , photo galery , it takes an aditional 2-3 sec to open in and it is frustating to see this in a dual core phone . My girlfriend has a Galaxy S+ and is faster than my Sensation and it sucks , so is there anybody elese that has noticed this problem ?

lowrider262

Jan 26, 2011
Racine, WI
Hello

A few days ago i have made tha last OTA update , It was not the update from ginger tu ICS , i have ICS for a while now , i now have the folowing software on the phone .

Since then I have noticed a delay in oppennig aplications , even those specific to sense like the clock , mail , photo galery , it takes an aditional 2-3 sec to open in and it is frustating to see this in a dual core phone . My girlfriend has a Galaxy S+ and is faster than my Sensation and it sucks , so is there anybody elese that has noticed this problem ?
switch to a de-sensed rom or AOSP based. delay / lag will be gone as its mainly a sense issue

szafran81

Aug 20, 2010
Sosnowiec
Hello

Same here, It's driving me crazy.

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
switch to a de-sensed rom or AOSP based. delay / lag will be gone as its mainly a sense issue

Sorry but im reckoning that that statement is bollocks. It has more to do with the latest OTA than sense and I have seen (and used) some custom sense ROMs with quite literally no lag

krazy_about_technology

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 3, 2008
Pune
Xiaomi 11T Pro
@All : All those people who are facing performance issue, check if you have a process by name Media running in background using Settings>Apps>Running Apps. Inside this process, if there is a service running called MediaDBMigrationService then stop it immediately and it will resolve the issue to large extent.

Make it a habit to kill it post 15-20 minutes of restarting your phone till HTC comes up with a solution.

szafran81

Aug 20, 2010
Sosnowiec
@All : All those people who are facing performance issue, check if you have a process by name Media running in background using Settings>Apps>Running Apps. Inside this process, if there is a service running called MediaDBMigrationService then stop it immediately and it will resolve the issue to large extent.

Make it a habit to kill it post 15-20 minutes of restarting your phone till HTC comes up with a solution.

That helps a lot - but I'm still thinking about switching to the dark side ;) (Galaxy S3)

lowrider262

Jan 26, 2011
Racine, WI
Dude if i wanted a ROM with no Sense, I'd sell my sensation and bought something else. Some people don't even realize that for some of us Sense look and feel was one of the things why we bought those (overprized) damn phones.

that's cool was just offering an option. I do like the sense UI but no matter what rom or kernel or whatever I try it just feels slow compared to de-sensed / AOSP roms. I bought this phone for the hardware and on sense it feels to me like its not running at full potential. just my opinion

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda app-developers app

hummel999

May 21, 2009
Prague
My last HTC!

This is probably my last HTC phone for now. Next will be Samsung. Solving problems by HTC means, about half year. After update in autumn, we were waiting until April to solve the problem with screenshots when the Home pressed - WITHOUT THE POWER BUTTON. Now they send us some sh... which slow down the phone to the HTC Wildfire, with the hTC timeline the problem could be solved on christmas :)

They should learn by ASUS where the updates are coming every month :(

realsis

Sep 30, 2011
california
Personally never had a problem with sense 4. Runs wonderfully no lag at all.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

szafran81

Aug 20, 2010
Sosnowiec
This is probably my last HTC phone for now. Next will be Samsung. Solving problems by HTC means, about half year. After update in autumn, we were waiting until April to solve the problem with screenshots when the Home pressed - WITHOUT THE POWER BUTTON. Now they send us some sh... which slow down the phone to the HTC Wildfire, with the hTC timeline the problem could be solved on christmas :)

They should learn by ASUS where the updates are coming every month :(

+1
I'm staying with SGS3 :cool:
If someone is thinking about changing Sensation to SGS3... well... don't :D just go and buy it... you won't regret :good: