FORUMS

Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.6 (4.5.141) - The Complete Guide

3,674 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,587

By upndwn4par, Inactive Recognized Developer on 13th July 2012, 04:37 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Having just purchased another Atrix that was running stock Gingerbread 2.3.6 (4.5.141), I was frustrated by the lack of a complete rooting guide and appropriate files. There is a guide in this forum (Link) which is based on an article from Android Advice (Link), but I noticed that both lack a lot of basic information for the inexperienced user. Also, the zip file available from Android Advice was missing a key file (Superuser!). So, I made a guide.

This may look complicated, but is super easy. If you don't feel comfortable using this method, you can use this automated tool (yes, it works on 4.5.141). It won't be as satisfying, or even feel good. You won't learn anything, but you will be rooted. Download tool here (link in OP is broken).

Pre-work:
1) Read the xda Atrix Beginners Guide (then read it again)! (Link)
2) Download and install 7zip. (Link)
3) If they are not already installed on your PC, download and install the Atrix drivers for Windows. (Link)
4) Download the attached files (sorry, had to break them in to two files due to forum size constraints). Create a new folder on your hard drive named "Android" (c:\Android). Extract both attached zip files to this folder (all the files need to be in "Android", not in a sub folder).
5) On your phone go to Settings, Applications, Development, then tick USB Debugging.

Notes:
Do not type quotes.
After each command hit enter.
Be mindful of spaces.
You can simply copy each command and paste in to the command prompt.
If you encounter any errors after entering a command, just ignore and keep going (assuming you entered the command properly).

Work:
1) Attach your phone to the PC via USB. In the USB settings make sure USB Mass Storage is selected.
2) Reboot phone while holding volume down until you see "fastboot".
3) Press volume up to initiate fastboot.
4) On your PC click the Start menu, then in the search box type "cmd"
5) In the command prompt type "cd c:/android"
6) "fastboot.exe flash preinstall preinstall.img"
7) "fastboot.exe reboot"
8) Wait for phone to reboot.
9) "adb shell"
10) "/preinstall/dosu". If you get an error (I did), type "/preinstall/su"
11) "/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system"
12) cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/"
13) "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
14) "PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk"
15) Reboot phone.
16) On your phone go to your apps and make sure the Superuser icon is there. Open the app, go to settings, then update the SU binary.
17) Open a terminal emulator, then type "su" and hit enter. You should see "#" if you are rooted. Or, download Root Checker from the Play Store.

My phone rebooted itself after step 11, so I had to re-open the adb shell.

I copied and pasted the text from the command prompt for reference (attached).

If I missed anything or have any errors, let me know and I will update the post.

Good luck!

Note: If you experience problems with updating superuser after rooting, try going in to Manage Applications and clear Superuser data. If that doesn't work go to the Play Store and Install Superuser Update Fixer.

Downloads:
My Atrix AFH Folder

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1349631609276.jpg
Views:	3215
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1383326  
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Disc Image and SU.7z - [Click for QR Code] (7.99 MB, 9696 views)
File Type: 7z Fastboot and ADB.7z - [Click for QR Code] (212.1 KB, 8226 views)
File Type: txt Command Prompt Text.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.0 KB, 9877 views)
The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to upndwn4par For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift upndwn4par Ad-Free
21st July 2012, 07:51 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanksssss
Just want to show my appreciation. Your guide followed step by step worked flawlessly on my atrix. Ive been trying to root this darn thing for about a week and a half with no luck. found your guide and worked perfect first time around. Thanks..

David
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCL20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DavidCL20 Ad-Free
21st July 2012, 08:18 PM |#3  

More
Thanks for the information. Just wanted to do this, and while reading the procedure, I found that there is no Superuser.apk in the attachments. Do I have to get it from some other place.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by upndwn4par

Having just purchased another Atrix that was running stock Gingerbread 2.3.6 (4.5.141), I was frustrated by the lack of a complete rooting guide and appropriate files. There is a guide in this forum (Link) which is based on an article from Android Advice (Link), but I noticed that both lack a lot of basic information for the inexperienced user. Also, the zip file available from Android Advice was missing a key file (Superuser!). So, I made a guide.

Remember to click THANKS if this guide helped you!

Pre-work:
1) Read the xda Atrix Noob Guide (then read it again)! Link
2) Download and install 7zip. Link
3) If they are not already installed on your PC, download and install the Atrix drivers for Windows. Link.
4) Download the attached files (sorry, had to break them in to two files due to forum size constraints). Create a new folder on your hard drive named "Android" (c:\Android). Extract both attached zip files to this folder (all the files need to be in "Android", not in a sub folder).
5) On your phone go to Settings, Applications, Development, then tick USB Debugging.

Notes:
Do not type quotes.
After each command hit enter.
Be mindful of spaces.

Work:
1) Attach your phone to the PC via USB. In the USB settings make sure USB Mass Storage is selected.
2) Reboot phone while holding volume down.
3) Press volume up to initiate fastboot.
4) On your PC click the Start menu, then in the search box type "cmd"
5) In the command prompt type "cd c:/android"
6) "fastboot.exe flash preinstall preinstall.img"
7) "fastboot.exe reboot"
8) Wait for phone to reboot.
9) "adb shell"
10) "/preinstall/dosu". If you get an error (I did), type "/preinstall/su"
11) "/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system"
12) cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/"
13) "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
14) "PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk"
15) Reboot phone.
16) On your phone go to your apps and make sure the Superuser icon is there. Open the app, go to settings, then update the SU binary.

My phone rebooted itself after step 11, so I had to re-open the adb shell.

I copied and pasted the text from the command prompt for reference (attached).

If I missed anything or have any errors, let me know and I will update the post.

Good luck!

21st July 2012, 08:29 PM |#4  

More
RE super user pkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksma

Thanks for the information. Just wanted to do this, and while reading the procedure, I found that there is no Superuser.apk in the attachments. Do I have to get it from some other place.

Thanks

Well for me what happen is down at the bottom he has two links for two of the files you need to zip. in one of those, there is a superuser file. When doing the cmd commands at the end you will end up installing the superuser. The best thing to do which really helped me was to download the command prompt text file, that way you can mimic exactly what you see. Hope this helps.

-David
21st July 2012, 08:30 PM |#5  

More
Thanks David, I just started doing the same. Lets see how it goes.
21st July 2012, 08:39 PM |#6  

More
good luck
Quote:

Thanks David, I just started doing the same. Lets see how it goes.

no problem. Believe me i was in the same position. I must of tried rooting mine like 15 times to no avail ,then i found this thread and it worked.
21st July 2012, 08:40 PM |#7  

More
Worked like a Champ!! Thanks David... Was quick and easy.. ..
21st July 2012, 08:45 PM |#8  

More
excellent
Quote:

Worked like a Champ!! Thanks David... Was quick and easy.. ..

Good deal. So glad i found this thread haha.
22nd July 2012, 12:34 PM |#9  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 10,587

Donate to Me
More
Glad I could help!
The Following User Says Thank You to upndwn4par For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift upndwn4par Ad-Free
23rd July 2012, 08:06 PM |#10  
Flag Ankara
Thanks Meter: 0

More
good one.
25th July 2012, 08:04 PM |#11  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Red face Thanks a lot
was so expected that this guide
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread