Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Interesting warranty information regarding Google vs other retailers

13 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By kwonyewest, Junior Member on 14th July 2012, 09:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Like most of you here, I preordered a 8GB Nexus 7 from the Google Play Store soon after the announcement. However, when J&R had their 4th of July sale, I bought the 16GB for the same price (free shipping + no tax) and canceled my Google Play order.

Yesterday, I got a shipping notification from the Google Play Store so I called today to see if I could refuse shipping, and the customer service representative told me interesting news regarding the warranty:

He said if I ordered from a retailer other than Google, all warranty claims would be handled directly by ASUS. That could mean shipping to/from and a wait for your device to get repaired.

However, if you order from Google, all warranty claims will be handled by Google, and they will ship an advanced-replacement no questions asked with free shipping of your old tablet.

Thought I'd share with the community this information. This news is enough for me to just accept my Google Play order and cancel my J&R order considering this is a first-generation device which could have some manufacturing bugs in it.

EDIT:
There are varying reports of whether or not this is true. What IS true is that without this written on paper, this statement by the CS rep is worthless. Worth giving a call and finding out for yourself. Hopefully it's true.

This reminds me: I bought the Nexus One from Google way back and the repair process was done completely through Google, not HTC. They sent me a new one and I put the old one in the box and shipped it back for free, just like this CS rep said for the Nexus 7. Just another hint that this may be true based on past experiences.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kwonyewest For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kwonyewest Ad-Free

14th July 2012, 10:00 PM |#2  
San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 614

More
I was told the same, which is why I didn't go to gametop and cancel my GPS preorder. Google rep assured me its worth the wait
14th July 2012, 10:01 PM |#3  
brooklyn, ny
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwonyewest

Like most of you here, I preordered a 8GB Nexus 7 from the Google Play Store soon after the announcement. However, when J&R had their 4th of July sale, I bought the 16GB for the same price (free shipping + no tax) and canceled my Google Play order.

Yesterday, I got a shipping notification from the Google Play Store so I called today to see if I could refuse shipping, and the customer service representative told me interesting news regarding the warranty:

He said if I ordered from a retailer other than Google, all warranty claims would be handled directly by ASUS. That could mean shipping to/from and a wait for your device to get repaired.

However, if you order from Google, all warranty claims will be handled by Google, and they will ship an advanced-replacement no questions asked with free shipping of your old tablet.

Thought I'd share with the community this information. This news is enough for me to just accept my Google Play order and cancel my J&R order considering this is a first-generation device which could have some manufacturing bugs in it.

Wow interesting, now I'm really not minding the wait

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
14th July 2012, 10:26 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Wow, if this is true that is indeed great news for those of us STILL waiting. Interesting however they mention free shipping, no questions asked.... when we can't get our questions answered about when we will get it, and we paid $14 2 day shipping.... LOL
14th July 2012, 10:27 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Seattle
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirkis

I was told the same, which is why I didn't go to gametop and cancel my GPS preorder. Google rep assured me its worth the wait

It's good to know you got that information too. I'm a little skeptical about information told my customer service reps, especially with the whole shipping confirmation fiasco this past week. I'm sure they're well-intentioned, but some might just be misinformed.
14th July 2012, 10:30 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Hmmm this is very interesting information. I have a order from Google that should arrive shortly, however I jumped at the opportunity to buy one from Sam's club. The Sam's club one was 20 cheaper, but it might be worth that to just deal with Google if there is a problem. Decisions decisions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
14th July 2012, 10:42 PM |#7  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Why not just get bestbuy to price match J&R or Sam's club if you can wait? Best buy is great for price matching and no hassle returns. In Canada at least. Not as crazy a return policy as Costco where you can literally take a crap on the product and if you bitch enough they will issue a full refund but pretty close.
14th July 2012, 11:03 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 113

More
From the Google Play website :

Nexus 7 limited warranty
The Nexus 7 is manufactured by ASUSTeK Computer Inc. ASUS provides a limited 12 month warranty for the Nexus 7. Please refer to the warranty card in the Nexus 7 packaging or ASUS for details on the ASUS limited warranty.

It seems that ASUS is handling all warranty claims. Also Google Play only has a 15 day return policy. Unless they are doing something different from what is on the website. I would think the GP and retail packaging is the same, so the warranty information contained in the box would also be the same.
14th July 2012, 11:04 PM |#9  
Flag Cardiff, UK
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Great for those in the US, wonder how well it works for other country's, google certainly don't see the easiest people to get hold of if you live in the UK.

I'd rather buy from a store where I can actually take it back if there's a problem without having to deal with shipping it to another country.
14th July 2012, 11:30 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWill

Wow, if this is true that is indeed great news for those of us STILL waiting. Interesting however they mention free shipping, no questions asked.... when we can't get our questions answered about when we will get it, and we paid $14 2 day shipping.... LOL

Don't ask, don't tell.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
14th July 2012, 11:33 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 896

More
>However, if you order from Google, all warranty claims will be handled by Google, and they will ship an advanced-replacement no questions asked with free shipping of your old tablet.

No offense, but unless it's in writing, it's worthless. Whatever a CS rep say over the phone is suspect when he's trying to dissuade you from cancelling an order.

Google has no service center, so it can't handle warranty claims. It's common sense that Asus would handle it, which is what it says on the N7 warranty card. In writing.

Ditto for the "advance cross-ship" claim. Call whatever Google's tech-supp number, say you've got a bum unit, and ask for cross-ship. Find out firsthand. IMO, I doubt it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
replacement, returns, warranty

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)