FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][nvFlash]The Chickens Guide to Flashing the bootloader manually

1,636 posts
Thanks Meter: 469

By dibb_nz, Senior Member on 15th July 2012, 12:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

here is a guide and some pix so you can see what 'should' happen when using civato's nvFlash manual method.

Get yr 15 digit CPUID - not your 11/13 digit ICS serial no.
the correct uid is VITAL, using the wrong one can cause you problems.

all righty you've made the decision to flash the patched bootloader and install a custom recovery and one of the many custom ICS/JB roms -

1. Ensure both Acer and adb drivers are installed
2. Retrieve HC CPUID
3. Generate your SBK from Blackthund3rs site: http://a500bootloaderflash.tk/sbkcalc/
4. Download yr ROM of choice and put it on yr external sd card
5. Put your tab in APX Mode manually or with apxFlashTool
6. Flash the Bootloader/Custom Recovery
7. Reboot to Custom recovery and do a full data wipe/format
8. Flash your chosen ICS/JB ROM
9. For good measure reboot to recovery and do another full wipe
10. Reboot and enjoy ICS/Jellybean

nb: I know it sounds overkill for all these data wipes/formats but in my experiences and alot of others on here multiple wipes ensure a smooth
running rom

Prep Work

To enter APX mode - Turn your tab off then press and hold in the Reset button(with paper clip).
Do not release it.
Press and hold power for 3 secs and then release it.
After another second, release the reset button.

Download V8-UNL-ICS-HC-bootloader-MULTI-cwm and extract the files for the manual nvFlash

If you are coming from HC then d/l your ICS/JB rom of choice to yr ext sdcard

WARNING: at Step 7. Do not "press any key to continue..." UNLESS yr tab is in bootloader mode, doing so causes alot more issues and

necessitates a rollback to HC if you continue....

ok here we go:

Step 1. You must enter APXMode FIRST

Your Windows PC should then detect your device and install the APX driver. You should then have an APX USB device installed.

If you do not have an APX USB device listed in your system tray, you cannot proceed.

The screen of your tablet is black and the Power Light is ON

Step 2. Once yr tabs screen has turned black and the power lite is on then

Step 3. Right click on the v8.bat file from civs package and choose "Edit"

Go thru the file and remove any "Cls" lines if there are any - this allows you to see what the flash is doing.

Save the changes thenRun the bat file - i'm using V6-3.bat in this example but if you are using v8 it will be named v8.bat

NOTE: You will see an instruction on the opening screen to "delete recovery from boot.p file"
On a reboot, this file overwrites your newly flashed custom recovery with the Acer Stock Recovery, not what we want!!
Please check /system for the boot.p file - if its there then delete or rename it b4 going on

Step 4. Enter your SBK

Step 5. Your tab will display this - "System Information" Screen

Here you can see clearly your one and only cpuid!!!! Or 'chip uid' as it is named here.

Warning: If this system info is not displayed you run the risk of getting stuck in apx mode....
Close out of the command window and disconnect your USB and check yr SBK and/or the Acer USB Driver is showing in your "Safely remove hardware" icon
if it isnt reinstall the Acer Drivers

Step 6. All systems are go!! Go ahead and press any key...when your tab is in bootloader mode

7. WAIT for your tab to display "Acer Iconiaa500 APX Mode"
this is 'bootloader mode' where the flash needs to take place,
then
press any key...
if you carry on without yr tab showing this message...
then you will softbrick and to fix that you will need to downgrade to HC and
you will lose all your data

There are 'usually' only 3 reasons you will not see the "Acer Iconia a500 APX Mode" message
1. The Drivers are failing to install correctly
2. Incorrect cpuid
3. Getting stuck at Formatting/partition errors is the ".bct issue" apxFlashTool 0.4 fixes this

Step 8 the flash begins!!!

the flash will take about 30 secs at most
on your tab you will see in big white letters the word PASS
in smaller red letters "Reboot the Device"

So power down yr tab and reboot into your new recovery and backup your system then flash your ICS/Jellybean Rom.

Congratulations you are no longer a chicken

EDIT: I've tried not to put too much info in here to keep things relatively easy to read - if you think there is info that should be in here just let me know and I'll add it

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dibb_nz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dibb_nz Ad-Free

15th July 2012, 07:16 AM |#2  
Flag 73052
Thanks Meter: 205

More

Nice guide. Should help out anyone who is still unsure. The only thing is, where's Daisy?
15th July 2012, 07:39 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Shake City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdgM3NT4L

...The only thing is, where's Daisy?

hahaha, funnee J good ol' Daisy

and for those wondering what else you can do with your unlocked bootloader...
you too can enjoy the 'Daisy' boot logo hehehe!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dibb_nz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dibb_nz Ad-Free
16th July 2012, 10:32 AM |#4  
Flag LONDON
Thanks Meter: 155

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibb_nz

hahaha, funnee J good ol' Daisy

and for those wondering what else you can do with your unlocked bootloader...
you too can enjoy the 'Daisy' boot logo hehehe!!

lmao.

this guide should be stickied eh?
16th July 2012, 11:03 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
can you get a bit more detailed for these?

Ensure both Acer and adb drivers are installed
2. Retrieve HC CPUID
3. Generate your SBK using the CPUID from vaches site
17th July 2012, 05:59 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Shake City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhocky19

can you get a bit more detailed for these?

Ensure both Acer and adb drivers are installed
2. Retrieve HC CPUID
3. Generate your SBK using the CPUID from vaches site

For info on the drivers and retrieving yr cpuid see this guide here but basically you'll need the acer drivers from acer support page and the android usb/adb drivers, these drivers ensure yr tab can communicate with yr pc and can be d/l in a zip file from post in the link above.

The SBK (Secure Boot Key) is generated from the cpuid. Go to vaches site (the link is provided in the nvflash as u can see in the first pic above) Its as simple as entering yr cpuid in the box and it will give you a number formatted like this:
0x000D0000 0x00000001 0x0AAACCCC 0x0000000 - this is your SBK
17th July 2012, 06:08 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Shake City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chismay

lmao.

this guide should be stickied eh?

hey dude!! good to see u, pls tell me you;ve taken daisy for a spin m8????????
or r u still in that henhouse
31st July 2012, 12:05 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
<Deleted by user>
17th January 2013, 03:03 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Stuck on Step 8
First of all thank-you so much for writing this it has been very helpful so far.

Got stuck on Step 8, I did everything exactly as stated, go to the green Acer logo, with "Acer Iconia APX Made" at the top left, but command prompt returned with the following:

Nvflash started
[resume mode]
Formatting partition 4 please wait.. Command Execution failed cmd 13, error 0x120002
FAILED!
command failure: format partition failed <bad command>
Bootloader status: unknown operation <code: 1> message: flags: 0

Before that in step 7 I also got an error, but the it allowed press an key to continue anyway:

sending file: bct.bct
- 4080/4080 bytes sent
bct.bct sent successfully
odm data: 0x300d88011
downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
sending file: bootloader_apx.bin
| 714980/714981 bytes sent
bootloader_apx.bit sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader downloaded successfully
failed executing command 25 NvError 0x120002
command failure: sync failed <bad data>
bootloader status: partition table is invalid, missing required information <code: 14> message nverror:0x4 (0x4) flags: 0

I realize that I have probably given too much information and I apologize for that. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Also: This was done using option 3, but I tried it with option 4 as well and got the same error. In step 5 it did not show System Information, but I checked the acer divers, the safely remove hardware and my SBK using different generators and it all checks out.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
17th January 2013, 04:58 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Shake City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke00123

First of all thank-you so much for writing this it has been very helpful so far.

Got stuck on Step 8, I did everything exactly as stated, go to the green Acer logo, with "Acer Iconia APX Made" at the top left, but command prompt returned with the following:

Nvflash started
[resume mode]
Formatting partition 4 please wait.. Command Execution failed cmd 13, error 0x120002
FAILED!
command failure: format partition failed <bad command>
Bootloader status: unknown operation <code: 1> message: flags: 0

Before that in step 7 I also got an error, but the it allowed press an key to continue anyway:

sending file: bct.bct
- 4080/4080 bytes sent
bct.bct sent successfully
odm data: 0x300d88011
downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
sending file: bootloader_apx.bin
| 714980/714981 bytes sent
bootloader_apx.bit sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader downloaded successfully
failed executing command 25 NvError 0x120002
command failure: sync failed <bad data>
bootloader status: partition table is invalid, missing required information <code: 14> message nverror:0x4 (0x4) flags: 0

I realize that I have probably given too much information and I apologize for that. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Also: This was done using option 3, but I tried it with option 4 as well and got the same error. In step 5 it did not show System Information, but I checked the acer divers, the safely remove hardware and my SBK using different generators and it all checks out.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

you dont say what rom you were on or whether your tab was running ok before you tried the flash??

Normally if you don't see the system info window things dont go well after that!
But in saying that it seems you've made sure everything else is right, and as long as when you put your tab in apx mode you saw the "acer download mode" displayed you should be good!!

partitioning errors such as yours are "normally" easy to fix by running timmydeans root tool - there is a link to it in the root guide in my sig.
Download it and put your tab in apx mode, connect your usb cable and then run the pbj20.exe ??
you should get asked to enter your CPUID(not the sbk!!) take off the 0x at the beginning if its there

also: in the cpuid guide (in my sig)theres a link to a short guide by "lcd047" how to use timmydeans to repartition and flash the bootloader all in one go - might wanna take a look at that while you're waiting for the download....

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcd047 wrote:

"I downloaded timmyDean's root-3.2.1-V4.7z
I booted the tablet (in APX mode) and I connected the USB cable to it
in the directory root-3.2.1/Image I run the command

nvflash --bct flash.bct --setbct --odmdata 0x100c0105 --configfile flash.cfg --create --bl bootloader.bin --sbk (your sbk number after converting your UID number) 0xXXXXXXXX 0xXXXXXXXX 0xXXXXXXXX 0xXXXXXXXX --go

without rebooting, I flashed the v7 bootloader and recovery as per the bootloader thread; since the partition table was restored at the previous step, the operation now succeeded;
I rebooted the tablet in recovery, and proceeded to wipe the data and flash a ROM the usual way.

let us know how you go
rgds dibb
17th January 2013, 10:03 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Still Stuck :(
Right sorry. I am sunning the stock Acer ICS 4.0.3 rom, with the stock ICS 4.0.3 recovery image and ICS bootloader 3.12-ICS.

I tried running the file PBJ20upgrade.exe with my tablet pluged in in APX mode, but it told me to make sure my tablet was unpluged and that if a new hardware window opened to close it (as if it was going to install drivers or something). I did this and clicked continue but a window poped up sating EUUs had stopped. I traied it also leaving my tablet plugped in, same results.

If it is of significance I am using the Acer drivers verson: USB Driver_Acer_1.06.1500_A30H_A500. The other version: USB_Acer_1.00.0524_A30HA31HA32H_A (the one that blackthunder has you download) would not install saying that no previous version was found.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)