As most Chinese phones it has SoC from MediaTek, MT6516 (armv5).
See my Czech review for photos: http://hodinky.blog.mobilmania.cz/20...n-s-androidem/
Tweaks/tips for stock ROM (2.2.1)
- Market/Google Play is missing in stock rom but it cam be added if you follow instructions on the page: http://www.ibuygou.com/p-z1_smart_an...-3638-usd.html (included in Clean ROM)
- Default DPI is 120 however most controls are too small. Change it to 160 which will make all icons sharp. (included in Clean ROM)
- Typing on tiny QWERTY soft keyboard is a pain, Flit Keyboard makes entering text much easier. (included in Clean ROM)
- To enter engineering mode, dial *#*#8787#*#*
- ADWLauncher EX works even better if you (see):
Disable all animations including scrolling homescreen
Disable dockbar and use swipe up instead (included in Clean ROM)
4x3 icon layout for home screen and 5x2 for drawer (included in Clean ROM)
Use something like Extended controls for toggles
- Use No Lock if you don't need swipe to unlock feature.
- Remove alternative Chinese markets and Chinese network account/sync providers from /system/app (included in Clean ROM)
Creating flashable dump
Use MT6516 BackUpTool for dumping your stock rom.
Use MTK_Rom_Studio_1.0.0a for converting dump into flashable format.
Basically you need the driver: "MT6516_YuSu_USB_VCOM.inf" and flashing tool: "SP Flash Tool v1.1110". All tools can be found on the internet when searching for "MT6516 flash tools". The only necessary tools reuploaded can be found also here. (I'm not sure about the legality of these tools though.)
You have to use 32 bit Windows (I only tried XP in both VirtualBox and VMware but it could work with 32 bit Vista or 7).
Power off the watch, connect it directly to PC (no USB hub or extention cable) - new device will connect for few seconds - use it to install the driver. Unplug watch. (You may retry that few times because the watch disconnect within few seconds) Open flashing tool and select files to flash (I would recommend not to flash anything other than boot/recovery/system/data/logo), hit start and quickly connect the watch - flashing will start automatically.
First build of ClockworkMod 188.8.131.52 seems to be working however all its features were not tested yet!
Recovery can be flashed with "SP Flash Tool" (use provided scatter file).
Rebooting to recovery from launched Android using "reboot recovery" works but I wasn't able to find working button shortcut to launch recovery directly from cold start. Please help me if you find a way!
Custom Clean ROM based on stock 2.2.1
- Removed alternative Chinese markets and Chinese (social) network accounts
- Integration of Google apps (sync, Google Play, setup wizard etc)
- DPI changed to 160 which makes the watch easier to control and the icons sharper
- Preconfigured ADW Launcher, Flit keyboard
- Includes root with Superuser, Busybox binaries
- Minor clean-ups
- Backing up your current ROM + data is highly recommended (use the above listed MT6516 BackUpTool)
- The seller says you shouldn't do factory reset because of IMEI lost - I can't confirmed that - IMEI is kept even during factory resets so it doesn't seem to be stored in user data partition. BUT backup your current ROM anyway cause I might be wrong.
Clean ROM notes:
- The first boot is slow. After the first boot, I recommend not touching the watch for 5-10 minutes because dalvik cache is rebuilding in the background and the setup wizard may lag a lot.
- The default ADW launcher is configured to not have app drawer button - swipe up to open drawer
- Known issue (to be fixed later): Because of DPI change - Bottom row of button in Dialer is smaller, however all buttons can be pressed
- Known issue (to be fixed later): Because of DPI change - Superuser (root) confirmation dialog buttons aren't readable however the buttons are partly visible and can be pressed (press bottom left button to allow root acces)
- Known issue (to be fixed later): Because of DPI change - There is small graphical glitch on the lock screen which however doesn't break anything
Flashing recovery is not needed at all. Just make sure you flash both partitions (it will erase all your data on the watch but not on SD). Follow instructions above on how to flash.
ROM download: http://www.multiupload.nl/3LHJ33CW95
WIP, first build of CyanogenMod 7 (2.3.7) booted so I continue testing/evaluating. So far I only used stock kernel but I have source for MT6516 kernel.
Notes: WiFi chip - MediaTek MT5921 - no open source driver
Currently on hold.