FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][HOW-TO] Create custom ODIN packages

250 posts
Thanks Meter: 309

By das7982, Account currently disabled on 17th July 2012, 02:42 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Below is a guide on how to Create your own custom ODIN packages.

You will need:

-Terminal emulator app
-linux computer or Cygwin for windows or shell command line
-ODIN program
-create folder on your external sd card named "backup"
-if you want backup to go on your internal SD card you will change the code line to mnt/sdcard/backup/.........

HOW TO:

- In the terminal emulator app on your phone enter the code line for the item you want a dump of and this code will make an image on your sdcard.

**NOTE** performing a system dump will take 5 minutes to execute as the system file is in the 1 to 1.5 gig range. BE PATIENT!!!

- Once you have the image files that you need then proceed to the shell command line below to package your ODIN bundle.

-You will want to copy all of these image files over to your computer for easier bundling from your command line.

SYSTEM
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 of=/mnt/extSdCard/backup/mmcblk0p14_system.img bs=4096
RECOVERY
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/mnt/extSdCard/backup/mmcblk0p18_recovery.img bs=4096
USER DATA
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/mnt/extSdCard/backup/mmcblk0p15_userdata.img bs=4096
CDMA MODEM
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/extSdCard/backup/mmcblk0p1_modem.img bs=4096
LTE_MODEM
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/mnt/extSdCard/backup/mmcblk0p12_modemst1.img bs=4096
LTE_MODEM2
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/mnt/extSdCard/backup/mmcblk0p13_modemst2.img bs=4096
CACHE
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/mnt/extSdCard/backup/mmcblk0p17_cache.img bs=4096
BOOT
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=/mnt/extSdCard/backup/mmcblk0p7_boot.img bs=4096

How to package into a flashable ODIN package:

From a terminal command line:

Code:
tar -H ustar -c "INSERT_.IMG FILE HERE" mmcblk0p14_system.img > package_name.tar
md5sum -t package_name.tar >> package_name.tar
mv package_name.tar package_name.tar.md5
Add any combination of image files you want after the "-c" and before the ">"

Make sure each .IMG file has a space between the next one.

DISCLAIMERS

1. I am not responsible if you brick your phone using these system dumps.

2. Do not monkey around with BOOT or MODEMS unless you are really sure what you are doing

3. Always make sure you package your ODIN bundles with a .Md5 checksum to prevent corrupted data dumps from screwing your phone up.

4. Stay away from flashing .tar only files as these will flash no matter what and have no error checking

5. If you plan to package ODIN bundles for distribution of your ROM, only package SYSTEM, RECOVERY, etc etc. Do not package USER DATA or CACHE for distrobution as this could contain your personal information. Only package CACHE and USER DATA if this is a personal backup or you know what you are doing.

6. Flashing ODIN packages without a samsung signature will increase your flash counter. The refurbishing companies that work with AT&T, Verizon, and T-mobile all use the same company in coppell TX and they do not check for the flash counter. Only Samsung does. Most phones are disassembled before they even go to Samsung and once the phone makes it there they bill the carrier back for the phone and not the customer. (Trust me, I run a warranty center for one of the big 4 carriers) This comes directly from senior personnell from Samsung.
The Following 112 Users Say Thank You to das7982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift das7982 Ad-Free
17th July 2012, 03:32 PM |#2  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag Broken Arrow

Donate to Me
More
I can't believe someone rated this post a 1 star.... really? I thought this was very useful. lol. If you think its useful don't hesitate to give it an appropriate star rating. Thanks
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to das7982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift das7982 Ad-Free
17th July 2012, 05:37 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 348

More
Thumbs up
So I can basically capture everything needed to odin my phone back to whatever point I am at when I dump all the files?!? Basically a way to create a restore point that I can flash from my pc. Sounds like a winner to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggity Janx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jiggity Janx Ad-Free
17th July 2012, 06:09 PM |#4  
Flag Broken Arrow

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggity Janx

So I can basically capture everything needed to odin my phone back to whatever point I am at when I dump all the files?!? Basically a way to create a restore point that I can flash from my pc. Sounds like a winner to me.

Absolutely!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
17th July 2012, 09:20 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
this is awesome, Thanks for the write up!

I'm new to Samsung, when I want to flash lets say user data.... am I still selecting "PDA" from the Files section? Like I did for the root access? Or does "PDA" do the system?
The Following User Says Thank You to tprouty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tprouty Ad-Free
17th July 2012, 09:29 PM |#6  
Flag Broken Arrow

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tprouty

this is awesome, Thanks for the write up!

I'm new to Samsung, when I want to flash lets say user data.... am I still selecting "PDA" from the Files section? Like I did for the root access? Or does "PDA" do the system?

Just remember... always use PDA.

The Following User Says Thank You to das7982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift das7982 Ad-Free
20th July 2012, 12:35 AM |#7  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 197

More
Very good write up.. Voted 5 stars and sent 'Thanks'..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnosis4U2NV For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hypnosis4U2NV Ad-Free
20th July 2012, 09:18 PM |#8  
Flag Broken Arrow

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis4U2NV

Very good write up.. Voted 5 stars and sent 'Thanks'..

Thank you sir!
21st July 2012, 10:31 PM |#9  
Flag Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks Meter: 54

More
A couple of questions.

1. Can these Odin packages be used in Heimdall as well? (I assume so since they're both pretty straight forward, but ya never know...)

2. How well, if at all, do these instructions translate over to other devices?
21st July 2012, 10:33 PM |#10  
Flag Broken Arrow

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromWolf

A couple of questions.

1. Can these Odin packages be used in Heimdall as well? (I assume so since they're both pretty straight forward, but ya never know...)

2. How well, if at all, do these instructions translate over to other devices?

Yes in heimdall.

Translates perfectly except each phone has different partition block locations

The Following User Says Thank You to das7982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift das7982 Ad-Free
23rd July 2012, 05:15 AM |#11  
Flag Stokesdale, NC
Thanks Meter: 87

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by das7982

Yes in heimdall.

Translates perfectly except each phone has different partition block locations

thanks for the write up great read, but i have a problem im stuck at the 4g lte screen and nothing is working i odin to stock then to stock rooted and back to stock but still stuck at the screen can anyone help please
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)