FORUMS

Screen washed out after playing video

2,356 posts
Thanks Meter: 417

By wynand32, Senior Member on 18th July 2012, 05:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anybody else noticed that the screen is washed out/blown out sometimes after a video plays (mainly Netflix, maybe)? It seems to be a combination of increased brightness and decreased color saturation, making colors seem... well... washed out. It goes away after either shutting the screen off and on or switching to another app. I think. I haven't found the pattern yet.

I'm guessing it's Nvidia's Tegra 3 PRISM tech at play, and it's just not shutting off after the video app is closed. I'll expect a software fix at some point, but just want to see if anyone else is experiencing it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wynand32 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wynand32 Ad-Free
18th July 2012, 05:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Well son of a b... that is what is causing my washed out colors and gamma. I noticed it seemed to come and go. Unfortunately it never seems to completely clear up for me, even after going to other apps.

I tested this with the Transformers movie. After playing that a few seconds, I left and noticed the home screen looked really saturated, then went to the browser, and it was the same.

For me going to another app doesn't seem to clear it up, but it does clear up partially after a period of time. And maybe it might be my imagination, but it doesn't seem like it really ever goes back to normal until I reboot the tablet.
18th July 2012, 05:58 PM |#3  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 8

More
next to my work ipad.. the colors seem really blown out. =\ also there seems to be a video stutter / jittery issue during the panning effect. Played it side by side with my S3 and the s3 can render it just fine. What gives?
18th July 2012, 06:17 PM |#4  
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,049

More
Haven't noticed anything like that after watching videos or movie on nexus 7. display looks great 24/7
18th July 2012, 06:20 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demandarin

Haven't noticed anything like that after watching videos or movie on nexus 7. display looks great 24/7

Have you tried the Trasnformers movie? Let it play for about a minute at least
18th July 2012, 06:44 PM |#6  
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,049

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynmagi

Have you tried the Trasnformers movie? Let it play for about a minute at least

Ok. will do once I get off. this only happens with that movie alone?
18th July 2012, 07:14 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demandarin

Ok. will do once I get off. this only happens with that movie alone?

No, I see it happen with YouTube and Netflix too. I was just trying to make a futile attempt to understand why this happens to some of us and not others. My guess though if you haven't seen it with other videos, the Transformer movie won't do it either.
19th July 2012, 12:01 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 417

More
I've noticed that it's most obvious on some screen elements, but not all. So, it's entirely possible, I think, for someone to be experiencing the effect and simply not noticing it.
19th July 2012, 08:40 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I've noticed this as well quite annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
19th July 2012, 05:45 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
The after movie wash-out appearance was particularly noticeable when looking at small fonts on a white background. Such as this forum.
20th July 2012, 12:27 PM |#11  
Gateshead
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Yeah same for me! I'm on my 3rd nexus because of dust under the screen, I can't remember my previous 2 doing it. Will it be fixed by an up date doyou think? Or could it be hardware related?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)