FORUMS

[DEV] LANYU 910 / Airpaid RK2918 - Kernel / ICS WorkInProgress

431 posts
Thanks Meter: 358
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Working on porting ICS to the Lanyu 910 / X10 Airpad MID-910. I think the kernel sources used for the Pascal2 could possibly work with the 910 after some config changes.

Basically with the 910 we have no stock kernel source available for reference, no stock configuration, no detailed hardware inside the device.. We know it uses the rk2918 rockchip and I know it uses the SWL-2480 / Marvel 8686, simply from observing the identifying markings on the chip. Other than that, all we know is that it uses a 2.6.32 kernel with android 2.3, has an unknown 7" capacitive touch screen, unknown camera, etc. In order for ICS to work with the 910 we'll have to use a 3.0.8+ kernel or backport all of the required components from 3.x to our working 2.6.32 sources -however we don't have the patched sources for the stock firmware, so we are better off to just use 3.0.8 kernel that the source is available for on many rk2918 devices - of course we'd have to make configuration changes to our specific hardware, and possibly patch the sources with modified/new source code for our specific hardware (if we can obtain it).

Pascal 2 has a realtek based wireless chipset.. 910 uses the SWL-2940 / Marvel 8686, the module for this is also included in the kernel sources. The 910 has an unknown touchscreen, so the kernel for the pascal2 may or may not work with the touch screen settings. It is quiet difficult to work on the kernel without in depth knowledge of all the hardware. The 910 has Lanyu printed on the motherboard, and I'm not successful in finding any detailed hardware information for the board on the 910.

Also I am concerned with the memory mappings since the 910 only has 512mb ram and the pascal2 has 1GB+

Really wish these Chinese tablet manufacturers would follow the rules of GPL and release their source code, it would help A LOT with getting ICS to work with the 910.

As far as the rockchip and the ICS rom that vurrut has put together, I am almost 100% sure that the system.img that he used will work with the 910 as long as I get a working 3.0.8 kernel for ICS reconfigured/recompiled and implement some changes in the boot.img for the init services relating to hardware.

If anyone has the X10 airpad (rk2918 based) or the Lanyu 910 and has some important information regarding the internal hardware, please contact me with details, as I can probably get a working kernel for our device in a matter of hours.

Needed:
Gsensor/Accelerometer MFG/Model
Input Keys Controller - MFG/Model
Battery Sensor Chip - MFG/Model
TouchScreen/Display - MFG/Model
Other mainboard chipsets - MFG/Model (excluding RK2918 Rockchip SoC)

It would be of much help if there was someone here knows the MFG/Model of any of the above hardware, and it would also be a great help if anyone knows what linux kernel drivers are used for any of the components inside the 910.

When I was working with the Kindle Fire kernel I had found a very helpful information page on the internal parts of the device, with very detailed information - it was really helpful. I know that with these generic Chinese tablets finding such info may be much more difficult due to lack of interest and lack of popularity when compared to major brand tablets such as the Kindle Fire - but if anyone out there has ran across similar information it would give us GREAT progress in developing an ICS ROM for the 910. Here is a link to the breakdown of components in the Kindle Fire:
http://www2.electronicproducts.com/A..._text-123.aspx

The thread to the ICS ROM for Pacal 2 (rk2918) device is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1734181

A big thanks to Vurrut for all of his work! Hopefully we can use parts of his ROM to get ICS running on our Lanyu/Airpad!
2nd August 2012, 11:42 AM |#2  
Oma7144's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,555
 
More
Tablet
Pls open a terminal, type "dmesg" and upload the log. Then we will see

If you have luck your build has also the kernel config file. You will find it under /proc/config.gz.


- Oma -
2nd August 2012, 12:29 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Southern Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 358
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma7144

Pls open a terminal, type "dmesg" and upload the log. Then we will see

If you have luck your build has also the kernel config file. You will find it under /proc/config.gz.


- Oma -

Do you honestly think I would be working on a Linux kernel without a knowledge of the existence of dmesg or config.gz? Did you also forget to remind me of adb shell logcat -d >> logcat.log ?

Sent from my A100 using xda premium
2nd August 2012, 12:36 PM |#4  
Oma7144's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,555
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxsociety

Do you honestly think I would be working on a Linux kernel without a knowledge of the existence of dmesg or config.gz? Did you also forget to remind me of adb shell logcat -d >> logcat.log ?

Sry. You've been asking for touch, sensors etc.. In the named logs you will find all that.


- Oma -
2nd August 2012, 12:45 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Southern Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 358
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma7144

Sry. You've been asking for touch, sensors etc.. In the named logs you will find all that.


- Oma -

Only partial information can be obtained in this manner as it will only show what device modules are loaded, the information I was wanting was precise model information of the chipsets used in the tablet. And the config for the stock kernel is not included in procfs anyway as the developers must have not said =Y to CONFIG_IKCONFIG

Sent from my A100 using xda premium
2nd August 2012, 12:57 PM |#6  
Oma7144's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,555
 
More
]
Code:
CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN=y
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_AD7879_I2C is not set
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_AD7879 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_LZ300 is not set
CONFIG_I2C_LZ300_ST=y
# CONFIG_I2C_SIS809 is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_MISC is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_GPIO=y

#
# Magnetometer sensors
#
# CONFIG_COMPASS_AK8975 is not set
# CONFIG_COMPASS_AK8973 is not set
CONFIG_G_SENSOR_DEVICE=y
# CONFIG_GS_MMA7660 is not set
CONFIG_GS_MMA8452=y
# CONFIG_GS_L3G4200D is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOGBALL is not set
# CONFIG_LIGHT_SENSOR_DEVICE is not set
With the Model (SIS809, MMA8452, AK8975 etc.) you have all what you need. This you will also find in the dmsg log.

That's enough to compile from sources.

Anyway.


- Oma -
2nd August 2012, 04:06 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Southern Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 358
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma7144

]

Code:
CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN=y
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_AD7879_I2C is not set
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_AD7879 is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_LZ300 is not set
CONFIG_I2C_LZ300_ST=y
# CONFIG_I2C_SIS809 is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_MISC is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_GPIO=y

#
# Magnetometer sensors
#
# CONFIG_COMPASS_AK8975 is not set
# CONFIG_COMPASS_AK8973 is not set
CONFIG_G_SENSOR_DEVICE=y
# CONFIG_GS_MMA7660 is not set
CONFIG_GS_MMA8452=y
# CONFIG_GS_L3G4200D is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOGBALL is not set
# CONFIG_LIGHT_SENSOR_DEVICE is not set
With the Model (SIS809, MMA8452, AK8975 etc.) you have all what you need. This you will also find in the dmsg log.

That's enough to compile from sources.

Anyway.


- Oma -

Mr. Oma, I am sorry but I think you may be in the wrong thread, the Lanyu 910 only shares one thing in common with the other common RK2918 based tablets, and that is the RK2918 its self, the rest of the hardware that makes up the full system is different on the 910/Airpad than the more popular tablets that are using the RK2918. For example you probably use a RTL based wifi chip in the config you are using also, where the 910/AP uses the SWL-2480 which uses a Marvel 8686 driver in the linux kernel or you can use the libertas driver in more recent kernels. What exactly is the config you pasted here from? At this point I know the internal hardware enough to get a proper config file for the 910/Airpad, however there are compile issues with certain components and without resolving the compile issues there is no kernel image going to be generated unless I disable the problems at hand in the config, if you want more up-to-date information then head over the the x10 forums and check the original thread for 910/AP kernel development: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=27184.0
2nd August 2012, 06:39 PM |#8  
Oma7144's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,555
 
More
Tablet
Have you seen this?

Here is another Tab using SWL-2480 (looks like an Aoson M12).

Here is another 3.0.8 source, originally from a Chinese Tab named Xinboa.

Maybe that helps.


- Oma -
2nd August 2012, 08:11 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Southern Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 358
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma7144

Have you seen this?

Here is another Tab using SWL-2480 (looks like an Aoson M12).

Here is another 3.0.8 source, originally from a Chinese Tab named Xinboa.

Maybe that helps.


- Oma -

I appreciate your effort in helping me find info, but I have already researched most the possibilities and am already aware of the sites you linked. The problems aren't finding hardware specs, the problem now is getting 3.0.8 sources to compile with the Airpads hardware selected in the configuration, as I posted in the x10 forum, it doesn't appear that any 3.0.8 kernels have been successfully compiled for other devices using the same board-config as the 910, in fact the link you specified with the swl-2480 is the only device that has similar hardware aside from the rk2918 that I have found. The wifi and audio both fail to compile with Ody.se sources. I have decided to put most of my work now into testing/development of Jelly Bean for the Acer Iconia Tab, as it doesn't seem that many others are interested in the 910/Airpad development. Thanks again
2nd August 2012, 09:12 PM |#10  
Oma7144's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,555
 
More
Tablet
Ok.

Odys-Xpress sources? That's kernel 2.6.32.27, isn't it?

But try the sources from above link. Could search for that

A library for Marvell 8686 SDIO WLAN devices.
So far, the following modules have been verified:
(1) Samsung SWL-2480
(2) Azurewave AW-GH321
(3) USI WM-G-MR-09
(4) Murata SP-8HEP-P


I don't know if they will compile.

- Oma -
2nd August 2012, 09:14 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Southern Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 358
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oma7144

Ok.

Odys-Xpress sources? That's kernel 2.6.32.27, isn't it?

But try the sources from above link. Could search for that

A library for Marvell 8686 SDIO WLAN devices.
So far, the following modules have been verified:
(1) Samsung SWL-2480
(2) Azurewave AW-GH321
(3) USI WM-G-MR-09
(4) Murata SP-8HEP-P


I don't know if they will compile.

- Oma -

They won't compile with 4.2.0 or 4.4.0 arm eabi toolchain in 3.0.8 sources, i tried them, since 3.0.8 it has been replaced with libertas instead of mv8686, i've done looked into all of it man
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes