FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TIP] How to Re-Assign Home Button Double Tap

604 posts
Thanks Meter: 306

By mysterioustko, Senior Member on 22nd July 2012, 01:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
As you are probably aware, double tapping the home button will launch S Voice on the Galaxy S3. Unfortunately, Samsung did not include a way to re-assign this button for a different function if you don't fancy the S Voice app. Instead, all they did was give you a way to disable the hone button double tap. Well here is a way for you to re-assign the home button double tap without the need for any rooting or modding at all.

Step 1) Go into the S Voice settings and uncheck the Launch SVoice box. This will keep S Voice from launching when you double tap the home button.

Step 2) Install Home2 Shortcut from the Play Store

Step 3) Open Home2 Shortcut and configure it to launch the app of your choosing with a double tap of the home button. The app is pretty self explanatory and setting it up will be pretty straight forward. NOTE: When you get to the end, after you tap "close" it will ask you to set as default. Select Home2Launcher as the default.

Hope this helps anyone who didn't know how to do this. I am currently running CM10, and am using this to launch Google Now with a double tap of the home button.
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to mysterioustko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mysterioustko Ad-Free

22nd July 2012, 03:00 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 577

More
Nice find! Is there a tho when single pressing?
22nd July 2012, 03:17 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Can we configure it to launch the multitasking menu? I don't like holding down the home button.

Sent from my SGH-T999
22nd July 2012, 06:59 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshchn

Can we configure it to launch the multitasking menu? I don't like holding down the home button.

Sent from my SGH-T999

I would like to know this as well
22nd July 2012, 07:15 PM |#5  
Flag Vancity
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Does the home button still lag when you assigned the double tap

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app
22nd July 2012, 11:17 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Any idea how to assign double tap to Google voice search, like it was available on other phones on holding search key?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
23rd July 2012, 01:29 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Seems to be Voice Search is not showing as application by default on GS3. You have to uninstall it using Titanium Backup and then install it from Market. This will put shortcut where it belongs and you would be able to assign it to double tap Home key.
23rd July 2012, 02:14 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 644

More
If you have Apex Launcher, you can go to Apex Settings>"Behavior settings" and scroll down to gesture settings and you can configure one of the gestures to open up recent apps. I chose swipe down. It's not a fix for when you're in an app, but its better than pressing the home button twice or holding it down when you're on a homescreen. You can also configure the home button to open the Recent Apps dialog if you're already on your default homescreen.
24th July 2012, 05:50 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Atlanta, Ga
Thanks Meter: 306

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3hBraveBoss

I haven't observed any difference in the home key from applying this.
24th July 2012, 07:50 AM |#10  
Flag Pomona
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshchn

Sent from my SGH-T999

There is a paid app called Multitask Shortcut which is an app that open the multitasking menu. So, if you combine that with this app like I have, then yes you can assign the double tap to multitask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3hBraveBoss

Yes, home button lag is present sadly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
24th July 2012, 08:01 AM |#11  
Flag Fontana
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Button Savior is pretty cool. You can just swipe from left to right or vice versa and a string of soft keys appear (Home, recent apps, back, etc). Very nice app and I hardly press my home button anymore

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to varem For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift varem Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)