FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Should this helpful post be a sticky considering all phones will be 1.15 HBOOT?

Yes

46 Vote(s)
90.20%
No

5 Vote(s)
9.80%

S-ON 1.15 HBOOT Dev Unlocked flashing help for kernels, roms and recovery & poll

3,666 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,340

By motcher41, Senior Member on 25th July 2012, 04:06 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Flash img GUI works to flash the extracted boot.img from a rom or kernel boot.img.
Also supposed to flash a zimage as well but I have never tried.
Basically you need to extract the roms such as CM10 boot.img and flash it through this app then reboot to recovery and flash the cm10 rom.
Then to return to a sense rom you need to extract a boot.img from the sense rom and flash the boot.img. Then flash the whole rom in recovery. If anything happens that you can't boot a rom to use this app then fastboot is needed.
Flash img GUI is available here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=28765269

You will need to do this if flashing cm10 or other non stock based rom and to go back to a stock based rom from a non stock based rom
Do the steps below before or after flashing the rom in recovery or you will not boot.
As kernels are starting to pop up I thought I would save some headaches. If you took the ota or on new hboot (1.15) and s-on you can't flash kernels through recovery. So try if you want but you'll most likely have to get a whole boot image and flash it via fastboot.
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere but have seen plenty of people not able to.flash kernels through recovery.

If your phone explodes or melts due to this tutorial its something you did and not me so only blame yourself.

If you are changing kernels it is a good idea to remove any CPU apps or scripts of the original setup. If not compatible settings they will cause issues. (Thanks to chriswbush)

How to flash a boot image if S-ON Dev Unlocked 1.15 HBOOT:

Download the attached adb.zip. It has the files needed to flash via fastboot. I am on XP with an X86 PC.

1.Extract zip to c:\ for ease of use.

2.Place boot.img you want to flash into the c:\adb folder.

3. Get into bootloader by power menu or press and hold the power button ONLY. This will eventually pop up the message that your phone is going to shut down in 3, 2, 1... (this is actually a simulated battery pull)
Once the screen goes black, let go of power
Press power and volume down, and in about 2-3 seconds the bootloader will appear.(courtesy if PillowMetal)

4.Connect your phone via USB and make sure your bootloader is in fastboot mode and says "FASTBOOT USB" after your connected. (HTC drivers are possibly needed but I never tried to do this pre-htc drivers installed)

5.Open command prompt by selecting run in start menu and typing
Code:
cmd
then click "OK" or by pressing windows key and R key then type
Code:
cmd
and then click "OK".

Couple of windows 7 shortcuts that can eliminate steps 5 and 6

When in the window explorerand folder you want a command prompt to be at shift-right click > open command prompt here ( thanks antp121)

On Windows 7 just open the start menu and directly type
Code:
cmd
in it or yet another further shortcut for Windows 7 that doesn't require you to "cd" to the folder. Navigate to the folder through Windows Explorer, and look at the top location/navigation bar. (Below)

Click on the bar so the text is highlighted.

Delete it, and instead put in "cmd" no quotes, and hit Enter.

(Thanks to LiquidSolstice)

6.When in command prompt type
Code:
cd c:\adb
and then press enter key. Should change to
Code:
c:\adb>
7.Type
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
and press enter key. Should run through a couple lines and show it was written successfully.

8.Reboot phone and shazam you have a new kernel.

If you have any issues with a kernel once installed it may be due to differences in ramdisks etc. Most sense roms run off stock boot.img best I can tell.

Remember you can revers this process by flashing the boot.img from the rom's zip that your running by using the exact same process.

Good luck and happy flashing.

Constructive criticism always welcome.

Other OS files and setup see here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

S-ON Dev Unlocked 1.15 HBOOT How to flash twrp recovery.img from fastboot or if unable to get into recovery or rooting fails

Go to http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/98 and download the openrecovery-twrp-2.2.2.0-jewel.img to desktop and rename it "recovery.img" no quotes.

Download the attached adb.zip. It has the files needed to flash via fastboot. I am on XP with an X86 PC.

1.Extract zip to c:\ for ease of use.

2.Place recovery.img you want to flash into the c:\adb folder.

3. Get into bootloader by power menu or press and hold the power button ONLY. This will eventually pop up the message that your phone is going to shut down in 3, 2, 1... (this is actually a simulated battery pull)
Once the screen goes black, let go of power
Press power and volume down, and in about 2-3 seconds the bootloader will appear.(courtesy if PillowMetal)

4.Connect your phone via USB and make sure your bootloader is in fastboot mode and says "FASTBOOT USB" after your connected. (HTC drivers are probably not needed but I never tried to do this pre-htc drivers installed)

5.Open command prompt by selecting run in start menu and typing
Code:
cmd
then click "OK" or by pressing windows key and R key then type
Code:
cmd
and then click "OK".

Couple of windows 7 shortcuts that can eliminate steps 5 and 6

When in the window explorerand folder you want a command prompt to be at shift-right click > open command prompt here ( thanks antp121)

On Windows 7 just open the start menu and directly type
Code:
cmd
in it or yet another further shortcut for Windows 7 that doesn't require you to "cd" to the folder. Navigate to the folder through Windows Explorer, and look at the top location/navigation bar. (Below)

Click on the bar so the text is highlighted.

Delete it, and instead put in "cmd" no quotes, and hit Enter.

(Thanks to LiquidSolstice)

6.When in command prompt type
Code:
cd c:\adb
no quotes and then press enter key. Should change to
Code:
c:\adb>
7.Type
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
and press enter key. Should run through a couple lines and show it was written successfully.

8.On your phone select HBOOT and then Reboot Recovery.

Now you can flash a rooted rom if your rooting method failed and you will be rooted.

MAC AND LINUX USERS ONLY!
Here is an adb/fastboot install script for Mac/Linux might need to modify steps in this thread as needed depending on where the script installs them http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1617718
Attached Files
File Type: zip adb.zip - [Click for QR Code] (421.3 KB, 707 views)
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to motcher41 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift motcher41 Ad-Free

25th July 2012, 04:17 AM |#2  
Flag Lubbock
Thanks Meter: 375

More
If your s-on and on the old h boot then your ok, and can still flash kernels from recovery

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to bog3nator For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bog3nator Ad-Free
25th July 2012, 04:26 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perham, Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bog3nator

If your s-on and on the old h boot then your ok, and can still flash kernels from recovery

Thanks..changed wording in title
The Following User Says Thank You to motcher41 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift motcher41 Ad-Free
25th July 2012, 05:26 AM |#4  
Flag Grapevine, Texas
Thanks Meter: 845

Donate to Me
More
Aw not this **** again from the 3d

Thank god for s-off!
25th July 2012, 05:36 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perham, Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cupper-

Aw not this **** again from the 3d

Thank god for s-off!

Don't know....first HTC device since my eris

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
25th July 2012, 08:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 225

More
Okay so if I do the HTC Dev thing and unlock and root my phone and someone releases a kernel I want on my phone how does this post help me do that? I have not done the HTC thing was hoping for a fix to get soff since I knew we could not flash kernels.. But if I can flash stuff even with son and the update than I think I might just do it..

25th July 2012, 01:15 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perham, Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Okay so if I do the HTC Dev thing and unlock and root my phone and someone releases a kernel I want on my phone how does this post help me do that? I have not done the HTC thing was hoping for a fix to get soff since I knew we could not flash kernels.. But if I can flash stuff even with son and the update than I think I might just do it..<br />
<br />

It helps u to flash a kernel you want if u do those things. Can't flash radios though if you dev unlock etc

25th July 2012, 01:58 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by motcher41

It helps u to flash a kernel you want if u do those things. Can't flash radios though if you dev unlock etc

Just and fyi....I was able to flash the latest radios and I'm developer unlocked.
25th July 2012, 02:03 PM |#9  
Recognized Developer
Flag Crown Point
Thanks Meter: 5,117

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey07

Just and fyi....I was able to flash the latest radios and I'm developer unlocked.

Are you are the new hboot? Also being soff allows you to flash the firmware updates

25th July 2012, 03:22 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perham, Minnesota

Donate to Me
More
Yeah...people on old hboot can flash kernels s-on or off this is for people that one way or another have the new hboot...like the title says.

Changed the title to reflect hboot version this is for...

25th July 2012, 05:27 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 225

More
Ok so when they release a kernel they release this boot img you mentioned.. I do not think I have ever flashed a radio.. That is the actual phone part if the phone correct.. Does sprint release radio updates? If so what would happen in that case if one cannot flash a radio?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)