[HOW TO] Increase Haptic Feedback Strength (2.3.6)

387 posts
Thanks Meter: 134

By CapnPez, Senior Member on 26th July 2012, 03:08 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is for those of us who preferred the stronger haptic feedback strength of the capacitive buttons that we had from 2.3.5 (and also for those who haven't taken the ICS plunge). The basic steps of this could probably also be used for other changes to the framework-res.apk. These are the steps I used and are by no means the best way to do this (in fact, this probably guarantees it's not the best way ).

As always, you should be careful when performing any modifications to things like this. I STRONGLY suggest making a nandroid backup and an extra copy of your framework-res.apk in case you want to switch back. Also, you should have cwm on boot enabled so you can always get back to a working condition if you end up in a boot loop. This worked perfectly for me on my first try, but that doesn't mean much . You do all things at your own risk!

You will need:
APK Manager
7zip
Notepad++
Not on ICS!

1. Extract (copy) your framework-res.apk found in \system\framework\
2. Put copy in the "place-apk-here-for-modding" in APK Manager (you may want to re-name the file so you can remember what version/ROM you took it from)
3. Open the APK Manager script and select the apk you want to change
4. I set the compression to 0 and heap size to 512mb (I saw several threads that suggested these settings)
5. De-compile the apk
6. Find the decompiled apk in the "Projects" folder and open it up
7. Navigate to \res\values\arrays.xml and open with Notepad++
8. Find:
Code:
   <integer-array name="config_longPressVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>14</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_virtualKeyVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>12</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_keyboardTapVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>9</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_safeModeDisabledVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>24</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_safeModeEnabledVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>40</item>
        <item>500</item>
        <item>600</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_scrollBarrierVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>12</item>
        <item>60</item>
        <item>12</item>
    </integer-array>
And replace with:
Code:
    <integer-array name="config_longPressVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>40</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_virtualKeyVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>20</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_keyboardTapVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>20</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_safeModeDisabledVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>40</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_safeModeEnabledVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>40</item>
        <item>500</item>
        <item>600</item>
    </integer-array>
    <integer-array name="config_scrollBarrierVibePattern">
        <item>0</item>
        <item>30</item>
        <item>60</item>
        <item>30</item>
    </integer-array>
9. Save the file
10. Compile the apk. When asked "Is this a system apk?", I said "yes". And then when asked if anything else needs to be copied, I said "no".
11. Using 7zip, open the new apk as an archive found in "place-apk-here-for-modding" folder.
12. Also, open the original apk as an archive with 7zip
13. Drag and drop the "res" folder and "resources.arsc" file from the NEW apk into the ORIGINAL apk
14. Use your favorite method of getting the modified ORIGINAL apk back in your \system\framework\ directory on your phone
-I prefer to hi-jack someone's flashable zip and put my own framework-res.apk--I used AlteredLikeness's "The Stock Monster" http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1645950 since I'm using stock, odexed 2.3.6. Thanks AlteredLikeness!

I understand there are a dwindling few still using 2.3.6 and the days of GB are numbered for the A2, but I hope this still helps someone! If you have any questions, feel free to post, but try to do some research first (that's how we all learn this stuff ).

Peace Out!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CapnPez For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CapnPez Ad-Free
26th July 2012, 09:15 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 199

Donate to Me
More
This seriously reminds me of Roy & Moss in "The I.T Crowd" modding Roy's phone....
26th July 2012, 01:44 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mocksville, NC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukensteinz

This seriously reminds me of Roy & Moss in "The I.T Crowd" modding Roy's phone....

I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing...

I guess I'll just have to watch the show on Netflix.
26th July 2012, 03:12 PM |#4  
reflecting on Indra's net
Thanks Meter: 5,489

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for sharing!! Good guide with nice and simple directions..

I would say that this should probably be in the themes and apps section.. but not really a theme.. or is it? But it shouldn't get buried in the general/Q&A section either..
I've faced this conflict of where to post with some of my threads..

Dear Moderators: We need a new section for mods, how-to's, pseudo-development and such.. And maybe also separate Q&A from general... just a thought.

Sent from my phone's mind

(Was that a hijack? Sorry if so..) Thanks again Capn!
The Following User Says Thank You to alteredlikeness For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alteredlikeness Ad-Free
26th July 2012, 03:17 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mocksville, NC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredlikeness

I would say that this should probably be in the themes and apps section.. but not really a theme.. or is it? But it shouldn't get buried in the general/Q&A section either..

Dear Moderators: We need a new section for mods, how-to's, pseudo-development and such.. And maybe also separate Q&A from general... just a thought.

Yeah, I debated which section to put it in. I decided on this since I wasn't actually posting a theme or app and it doesn't change any visual aspect of someone's theme.

And thanks again for originally providing the odexed themes and the zip that I hi-jacked !
26th July 2012, 03:18 PM |#6  
Flag Siglufjörður, Norðurland eystra, Iceland
Thanks Meter: 3,609

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredlikeness

I agree...

Sent from my Atari Falcon030
27th July 2012, 03:02 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mocksville, NC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukensteinz

Not to get too off topic, but I just watch the first couple episodes of "The IT Crowd" and I have to say that it's pretty funny (thanks for bringing it up so I could discover it!). Is there a specific episode of modding Roy's phone? If so, I'm still not sure if I should be offended or flattered by the comment ...

On another note, has anyone tried this modification (successfully or not)? Does anyone see anything I should change or add (I tried to keep it as simple as I could so it's accessible to lots o' people)?

Peace out,
The Capn
31st July 2012, 04:01 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Not Seeing It
Question:

I followed the steps, and the first run-through, everything went fine up until the compile, and I got an error, and the only thing inside the 7z was the MANIFEST file. And now, for whatever reason, every time I extract the .apk, there is no 'values' folder, even when I send a fresh copy over from the phone itself. I didn't install the modified compilation on my phone, so I have no idea what could have happened. I also checked the /res folder in the .apk running on the phone, and there was no 'values' folder.

Does my device have a sadistic mind of its own and refused to be modded?
31st July 2012, 04:24 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mocksville, NC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraddict4791

Question:

I followed the steps, and the first run-through, everything went fine up until the compile, and I got an error, and the only thing inside the 7z was the MANIFEST file. And now, for whatever reason, every time I extract the .apk, there is no 'values' folder, even when I send a fresh copy over from the phone itself. I didn't install the modified compilation on my phone, so I have no idea what could have happened. I also checked the /res folder in the .apk running on the phone, and there was no 'values' folder.

Does my device have a sadistic mind of its own and refused to be modded?

Will APK Manager successfully decompile the apk? You can also use APK Tool or APK Multi-tool. If you simply use 7zip to look into the apk, it will not show the xml's (or at least it won't show them correctly). As far as I know, the "values" folder only shows up when you decompile.

Otherwise, it sounds like you went through the steps. Perhaps there are issues with the version of the apk manager or apktool you're using? Sorry, I'm at a different computer or I would have checked to see what I have currently. Until then, maybe someone else can chime in to give some advice?

If all else fails, I wouldn't mind sending you a copy of the framework-res.apk that I made (or you can tell me what changes you're trying to make and I'll try to do that).

Another thing to check is to make sure there is something in the copied and extracted apk BEFORE you do anything to it. If it only has the manifest, then it sounds like the copy over didn't work right. What ROM are you using? If you have the ROM's zip on your computer, you can just get it from there as well.

Sorry that I don't have a clear answer for you. You might be right that your phone has a grudge against you...you haven't verbally abused it, have you? Do you not treat it with love as it deserves?
The Following User Says Thank You to CapnPez For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CapnPez Ad-Free
31st July 2012, 11:43 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Well, I found out my problem. I've been herpin' a derp pretty bad, because instead of decompiling, I simply extracted, which would explain why the FIRST time worked, but the other times did not.

But thanks for the help. All is well in the land of fairies.
21st August 2012, 04:29 PM |#11  
reflecting on Indra's net
Thanks Meter: 5,489

Donate to Me
More
Bumps... I think someone may be looking for this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)