FORUMS

Miscellaneous files?

300 posts
Thanks Meter: 81

By DaemonAshra, Senior Member on 27th July 2012, 04:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I still havent seen an answer for this issue, but I have over 6GB of Miscellaneous Files in Setting->Storage. nothing in there shows that much info, so I know its from loading different ROMs. I have no idea how to get rid of these files. I've been looking all around CWM for something to clear, but I'm not too confident about messing with that.

Does anyone have an idea of how to clear up this stuff?
The Following User Says Thank You to DaemonAshra For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DaemonAshra Ad-Free
27th July 2012, 07:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Do you have a few nandroid backups? Those will register there. If you're using TWRP, there's a TWRP folder and you can remove them or archive them off. Clockwork is the same, I just don't remember offhand where it stores them.

If this isn't it, you can install busybox, and then either adb shell, or use a terminal emulator on the phone and run `du /mnt/sdcard -hl -d 1` you can then drill down to the directories which are the biggest offenders. Changing the 1 to another number increases the depth that it reports.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coop9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Coop9 Ad-Free
30th July 2012, 02:54 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mesa

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop9

Do you have a few nandroid backups? Those will register there. If you're using TWRP, there's a TWRP folder and you can remove them or archive them off. Clockwork is the same, I just don't remember offhand where it stores them.

If this isn't it, you can install busybox, and then either adb shell, or use a terminal emulator on the phone and run `du /mnt/sdcard -hl -d 1` you can then drill down to the directories which are the biggest offenders. Changing the 1 to another number increases the depth that it reports.

Okay. I finally managed to get this started. I went through terminal emulator and found that the /sdcard is only 7.6GB while the number in the main settings says over 10. /android has 2GB from some games, but I can't find anything showing where the 6GB of miscellaneous file is at. Even cwm is only 1.7GB from the one backup I have.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
31st July 2012, 02:40 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mesa

More
I've been fiddling with this for the last day or so and found that under miscellaneous file, System Memory now shows up as taking 3.67 GB of data. I've been looking everywhere to see where that much info could be, but I'm kinda stuck now.

I now know where that extra space has gone, but I have no idea how to free it up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to DaemonAshra For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DaemonAshra Ad-Free
1st August 2013, 04:03 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Question Galaxy S4 Miscellaneous Files: what and where are they?
So I'm getting a warning that the internal SD is out of memory, I've moved all movable apps to external SD, photos, music too.

Rooted and have TWIP as recovery *BUT* before I install a custom ROM, I want a backup *BUT* there's no room as the backup wants to use internal SD (not external)

Somehow Miscellaneous Files show over 8GB but in My Files it only shows about 200MB addressable (erasable). I deleted all Dropbox files and saved 200MB.

Where the heck are the other 7.8GB of files? How can I see them please?

Thanks in advance.
28th August 2013, 06:18 PM |#6  
Flag Male'
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenja

So I'm getting a warning that the internal SD is out of memory, I've moved all movable apps to external SD, photos, music too.

Rooted and have TWIP as recovery *BUT* before I install a custom ROM, I want a backup *BUT* there's no room as the backup wants to use internal SD (not external)

Somehow Miscellaneous Files show over 8GB but in My Files it only shows about 200MB addressable (erasable). I deleted all Dropbox files and saved 200MB.

Where the heck are the other 7.8GB of files? How can I see them please?

Thanks in advance.

I am in the same boat with no solution
The Following User Says Thank You to jinan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jinan Ad-Free
28th August 2013, 07:34 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Cool I fixed it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinan

I am in the same boat with no solution

backup *everything* and reformat *internal* SD card
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post44217580

hope it helps
The Following User Says Thank You to greenja For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greenja Ad-Free
29th August 2013, 04:33 PM |#8  
Flag Male'
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenja

backup *everything* and reformat *internal* SD card
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post44217580

hope it helps

I did this but didn't solve the problem for me. However, I did find a solution which worked for me. I used CWM, went in to the >Backup and Restore>Delete> and chose to delete all backups in the internal SD. Solved my problem
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jinan Ad-Free
27th September 2013, 12:45 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinan

I did this but didn't solve the problem for me. However, I did find a solution which worked for me. I used CWM, went in to the >Backup and Restore>Delete> and chose to delete all backups in the internal SD. Solved my problem

WOW!!!!
i am so happy i found your tip. finally i managed to clean the mysterious 9Gb in my storage.
thank you very much!!!
25th December 2013, 09:16 AM |#10  
Flag Accra
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thumbs up Clean Data folder
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAshra

I still havent seen an answer for this issue, but I have over 6GB of Miscellaneous Files in Setting->Storage. nothing in there shows that much info, so I know its from loading different ROMs. I have no idea how to get rid of these files. I've been looking all around CWM for something to clear, but I'm not too confident about messing with that.

Does anyone have an idea of how to clear up this stuff?

Yes its kinda simple, at least it worked for me. Don't forget to thank me

Download ES Explorer

and go into the /data/media folder.
the troublesome files are there. Careful what you delete tho. For myself I had old remnants from another ROM and the entire rom zip file.
Don't forget the thanx button.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adjetey Boye For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Adjetey Boye Ad-Free
25th December 2013, 05:57 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 219

More
A lot of that is cached data for apps. If you use apps like gmusic, it caches music files to the device and that cache folder will grow. Root access will allow you to clear all your data es, including hidden files and that size will drop.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)