FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 7 POGO GPIO PINS on Side

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By peterpressure, Junior Member on 27th July 2012, 07:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So similar to what was found on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, does anyone know where the source file exists that explains what the 4 POGO pins on the left side of the Nexus 7 are for? I cannot figure them out with my multimeter or oscilloscope.

Samsung Galaxy POGO thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1614287
File on Samsung Galaxy Nexus was board-tuna-pogo.c but that is obviously not on the Nexus 7 because it is made by Asus and I assume they had a different file.

Close up of the POGO insternals from ifixit.com:

27th July 2012, 11:05 PM |#2  
Flag San Antonio TX
Thanks Meter: 1,119

More
My assumption is that there will be a dock of some sort that will be using those contacts.

I make this assumption from my old Nexus One where they also had contacts similar for charging.
28th July 2012, 01:57 AM |#3  

More
I'm not entirely sure, but one of the pins could be for charging and another for ground. And possibly the other two are for audio out.

Just a guess lol

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
28th July 2012, 06:03 AM |#4  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Since there are 4 pins, I get the feeling it could be USB? 2 for data + 2 for power and since now Android has support for USB audio it wouldn't matter? I just wonder how you could do power and stereo audio since you would need a ground + 2 for audio and 2 for power...
28th July 2012, 05:01 PM |#5  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,188

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomascivinod

Since there are 4 pins, I get the feeling it could be USB? 2 for data + 2 for power and since now Android has support for USB audio it wouldn't matter? I just wonder how you could do power and stereo audio since you would need a ground + 2 for audio and 2 for power...

Nope, ground is ground. Could use the negative terminal for ground, so could be + l r -
28th July 2012, 07:05 PM |#6  
Flag Bend
Thanks Meter: 266

More
One thing for sure, unlike the title of this topic, they are not GPIO pins.

My vote is for stereo audio, ground, and charging. Buy a dock from Asus and see.
30th July 2012, 06:27 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200

One thing for sure, unlike the title of this topic, they are not GPIO pins.

My vote is for stereo audio, ground, and charging. Buy a dock from Asus and see.

If Asus had one available I would buy it!

That said, here is what I found so far...

Top Pin (1): Ground
2: ???
3: ???
4: Data (minus) ???

Tried hot glueing wires into the pogo ports to conduct more tests, but quickly realized it was easier to just pop the back off and wire them directly to the board itself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterpressure For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift peterpressure Ad-Free
30th July 2012, 06:31 PM |#8  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 398

More
Protip: apply 5V between your pin 1 and 4 and watch dmesg.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pokey9000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pokey9000 Ad-Free
31st July 2012, 02:40 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
POGO connection product from ASUS
Here's the product that connects to the pins:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/30...dock-incoming/

JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpressure

So similar to what was found on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, does anyone know where the source file exists that explains what the 4 POGO pins on the left side of the Nexus 7 are for? I cannot figure them out with my multimeter or oscilloscope.

Samsung Galaxy POGO thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1614287
File on Samsung Galaxy Nexus was board-tuna-pogo.c but that is obviously not on the Nexus 7 because it is made by Asus and I assume they had a different file.

Close up of the POGO insternals from ifixit.com:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jb7890 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jb7890 Ad-Free
31st July 2012, 10:33 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7890

Here's the product that connects to the pins

Well, I am hellbent on beating Asus to the punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey9000

Protip: apply 5V between your pin 1 and 4 and watch dmesg.

Thank you for this tip! Great help.

I apply GND to pin 1 (top pin) and 5V to pin 4, dmesg (cat /proc/kmsg in Terminal Emulator) says the following upon +5volt insertion.

<4>[ 232.369780] INOK=L
<5>[ 232.370361] smb347_charger: [cable_type_detect] Reg3F : 0x03
<4>[ 232.370850] USBIN=0
<4>[ 232.371113] inok_isr_work_function -

When I remove +5volts it outputs the following:

<4>[ 241.459841] INOK=H
<4>[ 241.460260] ================================================== ======
<4>[ 241.460933] battery_callback usb_cable_state = 0
<4>[ 241.461296] ================================================== ======
<4>[ 241.461969] inok_isr_work_function -

But it never starts charging! ARGHHH!!!!
1st August 2012, 12:56 AM |#11  
Flag essex
Thanks Meter: 14

More
hmm im looking it my self i tryed 2 cables and i didnt work how ever i did im guna get a mutimeter cables and use the pins on that so see what it does
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)