FORUMS

GPS alternative fix for android, mac, pc, phones, laptop tablets via bluetooth gps

359 posts
Thanks Meter: 59
 
By kobesabi, Senior Member on 29th July 2012, 03:23 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
* This involves setting up connection via bluetooth to external GPS sensor. If you already know about this, just skip this post. No flaming needed
If not and still frustrate with GPS accuracy with all the latest ROMs, then read on.
I'm just posting so late researcher and newbies are aware of this quick and easy option too instead of the soldering or other alteration that involves open up the physical device. I've been using it for almost 2 years but did not have time to read around much so did not know about this option until recently. I'm slow...I know...lol

Recently, I've been researching for better solid GPS solution and how to cut down battery drain on ICS & JellyBean and ran into a video that involve using external bluetooth. (I did tried the Corrected GPS hardware fix, didn't really help...)

Anyway, I found several external sensors out there, but the ones that are cheap and small are $12 TomTom MKII or $25 Globesat BT-368i at ebay/amazon.
I thought globesat has more capability and longer rechargeable battery life (10+) so I got the Globesat. But MKii probably will do just fine.
Vibrant built-in GPS sensor works great for Froyo, but so-so or OK for GB, ICS, JB, CM7, CM9, or CM10.
When the built-in works, it has all kind of restriction such as does not work after CPU goes into deep sleep or you must do full lock immediately after reboot and before deep sleep & cannot toggle the gps off again.
So any solution that work ON/OFF on demand that is locks quickly with accuracy of within 30ft is perfect to me. You need accuracy of 30 ft or less or else google map or some other program will jump around on locking where you are and give false/wierd direction.

Fortunately, the option of using external GPS sensor via bluetooth is available in most Android and does the job well. I use GPS almost daily to check if there is traffic jam or other quicker alternative detour so the external bluetooth is always available in my car is perfect.
Not only that, it can save your battery too.
I gained about 5 hrs of battery time with Wifi & GPS off most of the time. I get even more battery time when I put the phone on Airplane mode and use GPS exclusively via bluetooth - meaning only bluetooth enable. I don't know how to explain it but I noticed it does. I guess the external sensor does most of the work and just relay minimal data to it and built-in radio/wifi/gps not running so it saves ton of battery.

So far, the coolest thing that worked now is I got more battery out of the phone under ICS or JellyBean ROM (not using built-in gps with wifi off) under Airplane mode and offline turn-by-turn navigation (google maps & Sygic) that still work with external sensor via bluetooth. In essence, that is like having the traditional garmin or tomtom gps anywhere you go as long as you have map available stored locally on your phone (aka offline). Sygic allows you to buy entire US map or the world and put it on your phone for offline navigation. Google maps allow only 6 offline map where each map is around 70-82mb or less. I got entire Orange county in my offline map and can use external gps to pinpoint where i am. The only sucky thing with google maps is you have to get the turn by turn navigation first then you can toggle gps off. Sygic does not rely on built-in gps enable in order for it to work. This is all great the next time I go to Yellowstone National park, since cell signal there sucks for T-mobile. With the external gps, you can put it on your hat and go hiking and still get gps to work wether you use online or offline Google maps, Sygic, Locus, or Orux....

To get your device able to use external GPS sensor via bluetooth, all you have to do is:
1) buy the bluetooth GPS sensor
2) download & install Bluetooth GPS app on android market ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.btgps&hl=en ) by Googoo Android
3) run it, checkmarked "Enable Mock GPS Provider", click Connect
4) go to device Settings, checkmarked "allow mock locations" or equivalent.
5) that's all...use any map software online or offline kind.

The lock I got with this is within 1 second and accuracy of around 6-15ft (on globalsat BT-368i)

You can use this device during hiking to save your cell battery.
You can also use it with mac, pc, windows phone, laptop, tablets that do not have gps sensor built-in with it...all for $12-25...worth it
The Following User Says Thank You to kobesabi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kobesabi Ad-Free
9th August 2012, 12:23 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 59
 
More
WHILE DRIVING w/ ext BT GPS configued as Source GPS on CM10 Preview w/ ext bt option...11 out of 12 birds locked and accuracy down to 11ft...

The moment you turn on, it can lock 6+ satellites almost immediately



EVEN ON AIRPLANE MODE (where almost everything is shutdown including DATA except for GPS & BT), it still saw 10 out of 12 birds with similar locking and was still able to navigate w/ ext bt gps



Navigation turn by turn under AIRPLANE mode
12th December 2012, 09:04 AM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
inaccurate signal for car navigation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi

* This involves setting up connection via bluetooth to external GPS sensor. If you already know about this, just skip this post. No flaming needed
If not and still frustrate with GPS accuracy with all the latest ROMs, then read on.
I'm just posting so late researcher and newbies are aware of this quick and easy option too instead of the soldering or other alteration that involves open up the physical device. I've been using it for almost 2 years but did not have time to read around much so did not know about this option until recently. I'm slow...I know...lol

Recently, I've been researching for better solid GPS solution and how to cut down battery drain on ICS & JellyBean and ran into a video that involve using external bluetooth. (I did tried the Corrected GPS hardware fix, didn't really help...)

Anyway, I found several external sensors out there, but the ones that are cheap and small are $12 TomTom MKII or $25 Globesat BT-368i at ebay/amazon.
I thought globesat has more capability and longer rechargeable battery life (10+) so I got the Globesat. But MKii probably will do just fine.
Vibrant built-in GPS sensor works great for Froyo, but so-so or OK for GB, ICS, JB, CM7, CM9, or CM10.
When the built-in works, it has all kind of restriction such as does not work after CPU goes into deep sleep or you must do full lock immediately after reboot and before deep sleep & cannot toggle the gps off again.
So any solution that work ON/OFF on demand that is locks quickly with accuracy of within 30ft is perfect to me. You need accuracy of 30 ft or less or else google map or some other program will jump around on locking where you are and give false/wierd direction.

Fortunately, the option of using external GPS sensor via bluetooth is available in most Android and does the job well. I use GPS almost daily to check if there is traffic jam or other quicker alternative detour so the external bluetooth is always available in my car is perfect.
Not only that, it can save your battery too.
I gained about 5 hrs of battery time with Wifi & GPS off most of the time. I get even more battery time when I put the phone on Airplane mode and use GPS exclusively via bluetooth - meaning only bluetooth enable. I don't know how to explain it but I noticed it does. I guess the external sensor does most of the work and just relay minimal data to it and built-in radio/wifi/gps not running so it saves ton of battery.

So far, the coolest thing that worked now is I got more battery out of the phone under ICS or JellyBean ROM (not using built-in gps with wifi off) under Airplane mode and offline turn-by-turn navigation (google maps & Sygic) that still work with external sensor via bluetooth. In essence, that is like having the traditional garmin or tomtom gps anywhere you go as long as you have map available stored locally on your phone (aka offline). Sygic allows you to buy entire US map or the world and put it on your phone for offline navigation. Google maps allow only 6 offline map where each map is around 70-82mb or less. I got entire Orange county in my offline map and can use external gps to pinpoint where i am. The only sucky thing with google maps is you have to get the turn by turn navigation first then you can toggle gps off. Sygic does not rely on built-in gps enable in order for it to work. This is all great the next time I go to Yellowstone National park, since cell signal there sucks for T-mobile. With the external gps, you can put it on your hat and go hiking and still get gps to work wether you use online or offline Google maps, Sygic, Locus, or Orux....

To get your device able to use external GPS sensor via bluetooth, all you have to do is
1) buy the bluetooth GPS sensor
2) download & install Bluetooth GPS app on android market by Googoo Android
3) run it, checkmarked "Enable Mock GPS Provider", click Connect
4) go to device Settings, checkmarked "allow mock locations" or equivalent.
5) that's all...use any map software online or offline kind.

The lock I got with this is within 1 second and accuracy of around 6-15ft (on globalsat BT-368i)

You can use this device during hiking to save your cell battery.
You can also use it with mac, pc, windows phone, laptop, tablets that do not have gps sensor built-in with it...all for $12-25...worth it








Hello everybody,
I have an Ainol Novo 7 Fire Tablet with the feiyu 1031 rom , and I just installed Sygic Maps on it yesterday, I also downloaded the bluetooth gps app by googoo android and when I connected my external bluetooth gps ,I got a lock on my position within seconds. My problem is that when I open Sygic maps, I get the error " Inaccurate Signal for Car Navigation" even though the bluetooth gps app shows me all the available satellites , I have enabled mock location in my setting also but still have no luck in sygic catching the gps signal
Any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated
Thanks
Prakash
6th January 2013, 03:26 AM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by praks_khemlani



Hello everybody,
I have an Ainol Novo 7 Fire Tablet with the feiyu 1031 rom , and I just installed Sygic Maps on it yesterday, I also downloaded the bluetooth gps app by googoo android and when I connected my external bluetooth gps ,I got a lock on my position within seconds. My problem is that when I open Sygic maps, I get the error " Inaccurate Signal for Car Navigation" even though the bluetooth gps app shows me all the available satellites , I have enabled mock location in my setting also but still have no luck in sygic catching the gps signal
Any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated
Thanks
Prakash

@prakash, i have ainol novo 7 fire tab with 4.0.4 version i would suggest you to install gps test and see if the app on your tab show the gps status as On in green color and also shows the gps coordinates. one thing i had to do with my tab is downloaded build prop editor app from appstore and edit the gps.enable propery from false to true (requires root access, and my ainol tab had default root access).
remember the ainol tab does not have a build in gps chip which is why you need to turn the above prop to true.
i am successfully using the below combination for my my ainol fire tab
nokia phone with built in gps. using extgp app from nokia to transmit gps coordinates over bluetooth. on my tab using gps bluetooth mouse and i now have gps location shown on google maps, navigator etc.
hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to venky4rhyme For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift venky4rhyme Ad-Free
8th February 2013, 07:12 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by venky4rhyme

@prakash, i have ainol novo 7 fire tab with 4.0.4 version i would suggest you to install gps test and see if the app on your tab show the gps status as On in green color and also shows the gps coordinates. one thing i had to do with my tab is downloaded build prop editor app from appstore and edit the gps.enable propery from false to true (requires root access, and my ainol tab had default root access).
remember the ainol tab does not have a build in gps chip which is why you need to turn the above prop to true.
i am successfully using the below combination for my my ainol fire tab
nokia phone with built in gps. using extgp app from nokia to transmit gps coordinates over bluetooth. on my tab using gps bluetooth mouse and i now have gps location shown on google maps, navigator etc.
hope this helps.

I have the same tablet with the same firmware and...
thanks for your answer! It works
25th February 2013, 11:40 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 119
 
More
AW: GPS alternative fix for android, mac, pc, phones, laptop tablets via bluetooth gp
Where do you get the globesat so cheap?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda app-developers app
6th April 2013, 05:02 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
I'll have to give this a try and get back to you on the results. Thanks!
12th June 2013, 04:31 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by testomat

Where do you get the globesat so cheap?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda app-developers app

Ditto. I would like to know this as well. I'm seeing the 368i for about $60 and the mkii for about $25.

smithmal
1st July 2013, 07:17 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Test
test

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by venky4rhyme

@prakash, i have ainol novo 7 fire tab with 4.0.4 version i would suggest you to install gps test and see if the app on your tab show the gps status as On in green color and also shows the gps coordinates. one thing i had to do with my tab is downloaded build prop editor app from appstore and edit the gps.enable propery from false to true (requires root access, and my ainol tab had default root access).
remember the ainol tab does not have a build in gps chip which is why you need to turn the above prop to true.
i am successfully using the below combination for my my ainol fire tab
nokia phone with built in gps. using extgp app from nokia to transmit gps coordinates over bluetooth. on my tab using gps bluetooth mouse and i now have gps location shown on google maps, navigator etc.
hope this helps.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the great info.

I have a Novo8 Discover with 4.1.1 trying to connect to a Samsun Captivate via bluetooth. I have tried all the fixes above except couldn`t find gps enable property so i changed gpswithwifi from 1 to 0. This allowed GPS Mouse to show connected but says unable to compute gps data. Also have GPS NMEA Sender installed on phone but on trying to connect says java.io IOError. Seems that I am close but am still doing something wrong. I have tried all sorts of things and spent a lot of time on this.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and best regards,

Robin
5th July 2013, 05:30 PM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
I use a Nokia LD3W with my Vibrant and it works fantastic. I use it while racing my motorcycle and the data refresh rate is so much higher and accurate than the internal, it works excellent.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddychecker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eddychecker Ad-Free
5th July 2013, 10:29 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks for the reply.
My Discover doesn't have internal GPS so there is a bit of trickery involved to make it work. How is your battery life?
Truth is I bought the wrong tablet for my intended application. The company I bought it from said it had GPS and I took their word for it.
Haven't had time to mess with it lately but will keep you posted when I do get it running.

Regards

Robin
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes