FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL/GUIDE] Full NV Backup and Restore [SIMPLE] [08-03-2012]

191 posts
Thanks Meter: 568

By <:GeeK:>, Senior Member on 30th July 2012, 02:21 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
This is a simple and easy way to backup and restore your GS3's COMPLETE NV items which hold your IMEI, IMSI, Data settings and much more!

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Download NV reader/writer HERE and install THESE drivers.

2) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM".

*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE

3) Create backup.

a) Click "port" in the top left and select your samsung serial port.
b) Make sure BOTH boxes in the top bar are checked.
c) Click "Connect" in the top bar.
d) Click "Read" in the top bar.
e) Click "Read" in the lower 'NV-items' section.
f) Save the .txt file, this is your backup

*The process will take 5-10min. The file size will be roughly 3mb and "inactive item" and "bad parameter" sections are normal.
*To restore click "Write" in the lower 'NV-items' section and navigate to your backup file.

4) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "MTP + ADB".

Demonstration video HERE << Thanks to moonfire for the video.

IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?

Use THIS custom built tool to easily generate a backup file with your properly formatted IMEI to restore your phone!

1) Enter your IMEI (find it behind your battery) in the text box up top, hit generate then hit save.

2) Use "NV-Item reader writer" to write the saved text file back to your phone and then reboot.

Me
cdma-ware
Peoplearmy
GerardAnthony
oriax123

Time and money have been invested into this project so donations are appreciated.

Donations: HERE

ATTENTION: I need a copy of someones full backup. Requirements are that you never flashed an AOSP rom (CM9, CM10, AOKP) and that your SGS3 is T-mobile. I need this to work on the data issue!
Update: The data issue is still being worked on and some progress has been made but there is still not a solid easy fix. IF YOU MADE A BACKUP THEN GOT THE DATA BUG, PLEASE MAKE A SECOND BACKUP SO THAT I CAN COMPARE THE BEFORE/AFTER!
The Following 155 Users Say Thank You to <:GeeK:> For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift <:GeeK:> Ad-Free

30th July 2012, 02:21 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
reserved
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to <:GeeK:> For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift <:GeeK:> Ad-Free
30th July 2012, 02:45 AM |#3  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Nice, even easier method.
30th July 2012, 02:57 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Can someone with a T-mobile sgs3 that has never flashed a CyanogenMOD rom or preformed a clockworkmod restore do a full backup and send it to me in a private message?

To do the backup I need read Range (Dec): 00000-05575

Note: I want this so I can look into the data issues that some people are having. Thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to <:GeeK:> For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift <:GeeK:> Ad-Free
30th July 2012, 03:20 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Is thats how it suppose to look , isn't string very short only 9 characters long ? ATT Samsung based deodexed rom.

Capture.JPG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	5536
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1230230  
30th July 2012, 03:24 AM |#6  
Flag Far, Far away in Galaxy
Thanks Meter: 1,980

Donate to Me
More
It is working on ATT too? Do i have to have unsecure kernel?

Edit: i know the answer for first one... Yes how about second?
30th July 2012, 03:27 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost77

Is thats how it suppose to look , isn't string very short only 9 characters long ? ATT Samsung based deodexed rom.

Capture.JPG

Yes, that is how it's supposed to look. The 08 is the command setting and the rest is your encoded IMEI.
The Following User Says Thank You to <:GeeK:> For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift <:GeeK:> Ad-Free
30th July 2012, 03:38 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbarb

It is working on ATT too? Do i have to have unsecure kernel?

Edit: i know the answer for first one... Yes how about second?

Yes it works on ATT also. No you do not need insecure kernel, it will work on a stock phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to <:GeeK:> For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift <:GeeK:> Ad-Free
30th July 2012, 04:22 AM |#9  
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 132

More
It will work if I'm rooted also?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
30th July 2012, 04:35 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLeSz

It will work if I'm rooted also?

Yes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to <:GeeK:> For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift <:GeeK:> Ad-Free
30th July 2012, 04:49 AM |#11  
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 132

More
So I backup the IMEI and if I ever loose it I restore my IMEI and it will give me back data btw great work will donate soon, I'm on a stock rom not cm with faux kernel, I can't backup or do I have to go back to stock?

The Following User Says Thank You to sTyLeSz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sTyLeSz Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread