FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Updating A700 while rooted! revised: 8/4/12, bonus for USA tab owners

633 posts
Thanks Meter: 123

By Sterist, Senior Member on 3rd August 2012, 10:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Make sure you are using CWM version 6.0.1.0

I am not responsible for whatever happens to your device because everyone else puts this in their threads too! get over it

Be sure to click that Thanks button if this helped you. this also appears in everyone else's thread's! deal with it

1. download the update file for your region from paugustin's thread here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1720157

2. unzip it inside any folder.

3. open the file called updater-script which is located at:

/META-INF/com/google/android

4. delete the line and the blank space left afterwards then save changes to the file. the line for the US version looks like this:

assert(getprop("ro.product.name") == "a700_pa_cus1");

5. highlight everything that came out of the download from step 1, zip it, and rename it to update.zip

6. place in the root of an SD card, not internal storage!

Note: a few users have recommended placing the update.zip on internal storage. i tried it again from a SD card and it worked just fine. if you're having issues with this try internal.

7. reboot to recovery mode. if you need this guide you've had to do it in the past, nuff said!

8. select Apply update.zip

9. after you select Reboot System, you will be given two options:

Yes will keep CWM recovery but you wont be able to use recovery mode at all until you unlock the bootloader again!

No will allow the update to restore stock recovery, and you will need to re-flash CWM.

10. if you chose Yes from step 9, unlock your bootloader and do the root process again. DONE!

if you chose No, unlock your bootloader, flash CWM again, and do the root process again. DONE!

there are already guides on how to do that.

BONUS FOR USA TAB OWNERS!

This is ONLY FOR UPDATING FROM the Acer_A700_AV043.RV00RC00_AV043.RV07RC06_PA_CUS1.zi p file from the link in Step 1 at the top of the page.

If you are on any other version, and / or from any other country, DO NOT TRY THIS!

This is the latest update with the power option added in settings & touch sensitivity improvements, with the getprop line already deleted from the script!

A. Download this directly to your tab.

B. Reboot to recovery mode.

C. Install.

D. After selecting Reboot System you will be given two options. Refer to Step 9 above.

E. After making your choice, you will be given the option to prevent the update from deleting root

F. Unlock your bootloader again.

G. If you chose No. from Step 9, re-flash CWM 6.0.1.0

H. If you chose No. from Step E, root again if you wish.

DONE!!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sterist For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sterist Ad-Free

3rd August 2012, 11:56 PM |#2  
Flag Vienne
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I've try this, but when I do point 8 (select Apply update.zip), the update is aborded.
I'm on SDs_Acer_AV043_A700_RV07RC06_EMEA_FR.zip with the root by patched boot.
I want install Acer_A700_AV043.RV07RC06_AV043.RV23RC04_EMEA_FR.zi p.

I don't know why update fail.
4th August 2012, 01:13 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Galaxy S, quadrant 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheyoyo

I've try this, but when I do point 8 (select Apply update.zip), the update is aborded.
I'm on SDs_Acer_AV043_A700_RV07RC06_EMEA_FR.zip with the root by patched boot.
I want install Acer_A700_AV043.RV07RC06_AV043.RV23RC04_EMEA_FR.zi p.

I don't know why update fail.

i think i know why.

i revised step 5, check it out
4th August 2012, 01:41 AM |#4  
Flag Vienne

More
That's what I had done, zip and rename in update.zip.
4th August 2012, 02:05 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheyoyo

That's what I had done, zip and rename in update.zip.

hmm... did you put it on an sd card?

and what error is it giving you?
4th August 2012, 02:44 AM |#6  
Flag Vienne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterist

hmm... did you put it on an sd card?

and what error is it giving you?

Yes, and the message was "Update aborted"
9th August 2012, 09:57 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Just a question. I have unlocked my A700 via method 2, so without CWM install.
If I follow this guide, placing the update.zip on the card, and restart with Volume-down+Power, will it execute the update.zip as well?

The update.zip in fact is the altered Acer_A700_AV043.RV07RC04_AV043.RV23RC05_WW_GEN1.zi p according to the instructions.

If using Root Explorer, where would I have to place the update.zip file?

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheopsChefren

If I follow this guide, placing the update.zip on the card, and restart with Volume-down+Power, will it execute the update.zip as well?

The update.zip in fact is the altered Acer_A700_AV043.RV07RC04_AV043.RV23RC05_WW_GEN1.zi p according to the instructions.

Thanks for any advice.
10th August 2012, 03:29 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I'm not sure if a modified update script would run on the stock recovery. you can try it, the worst that would happen is it will decline to run the update. i would recommend you always have CWM recovery regardless of any flashing/updating plans you may or may not have.

and the location for the update.zip does not change regardless of what you use to get the file there lol it doesn't matter if you use a Toyota or Lamborghini to get to work. silly question lol..
10th August 2012, 08:03 AM |#9  

More
Thanks for your answer. The problem is, an unmodified update script wont run either on my unlocked A700.
And, I am scared about using CWM, as I hear stories it will possibly brick your A700, and that is something I am not too keen about.

But, with Root Explorer compared to ES File Explorer you have more possibilities. But I agree, it was abit a silly question.

So now, how to update my unlocked A700 with the OTA delivered by Acer? That's the question.....
10th August 2012, 10:34 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Thanks for your answer. The problem is, an unmodified update script wont run either on my unlocked A700.
And, I am scared about using CWM, as I hear stories it will possibly brick your A700, and that is something I am not too keen about.

But, with Root Explorer compared to ES File Explorer you have more possibilities. But I agree, it was abit a silly question.

So now, how to update my unlocked A700 with the OTA delivered by Acer? That's the question.....

by my understanding, the CWM versions to avoid are 5.4.0.0 (something like that) and the touch version(s)

unlocking your bootloader and not installing CWM is like alcohol-free-beer... pointless.
12th August 2012, 12:33 AM |#11  

More
When trying the above mentioned procedure, i first got an error 6, which i solved by editing the updater-script the second time with notepad++, so i could keep the unix-like line-ends.

Then when i tried to run the update.zip from within cwm, i got error status 7.
(On both the downloaded update file from the thread mentioned above, and from the original from Acer received OTA update file)
As far as i know, after googling error status 7 has to do with the update zip not for the system trying to update. But i am sure, as i also tried with the Acer received OTA (after deleting the first line in the updater-script), i used the correct update file.
What could cause this?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)