FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Possible to extract SMS messages from a RAZR maxx with a broken display?

81 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By candre23, Member on 5th August 2012, 06:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
My friend desparately needs to extract the SMS log from his razr maxx. Unfortunately, he dropped it and the display is completely broken. The phone is unrooted and USB debugging is not enabled. The phone seems to be functional other than the display - the softtouch buttons light up and when plugged in over USB, it is recognized. Is there any method by which I might extract the SMS data for him? Keep in mind that with a broken display, I can't enable debugging or install anything on the phone itself.

I suspect the answer is "no", but I figured I'd check before he has to go through the process of getting a court order to get the logs from verizon.

5th August 2012, 07:01 PM |#2  
Flag Northbrook
Thanks Meter: 576

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23

My friend desparately needs to extract the SMS log from his razr maxx. Unfortunately, he dropped it and the display is completely broken. The phone is unrooted and USB debugging is not enabled. The phone seems to be functional other than the display - the softtouch buttons light up and when plugged in over USB, it is recognized. Is there any method by which I might extract the SMS data for him? Keep in mind that with a broken display, I can't enable debugging or install anything on the phone itself.

I suspect the answer is "no", but I figured I'd check before he has to go through the process of getting a court order to get the logs from verizon.

Unfortunately you need root to do anything that would help. But it appears that the LCD is broken, maybe you could get it replaced?

Sent from my MB508 using xda premium
13th October 2012, 03:40 PM |#3  
orange county
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have the same problem, but my razr is rooted. Also my phone is locked with the pattern. Can I use the usb to control my phone with my laptop? The cracked screen wont let me enter my pattern. I just need to access the phone and backup the internal memory.

Thanks
13th October 2012, 06:51 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford freak

I have the same problem, but my razr is rooted. Also my phone is locked with the pattern. Can I use the usb to control my phone with my laptop? The cracked screen wont let me enter my pattern. I just need to access the phone and backup the internal memory.

Thanks

If USB-Debugging is enabled on your phone, you might be able to connect from a computer via ADB.
If Debugging is disabled, I don't think you will be able to access the phone via the computer.

There is a lot of tutorials on how to install ADB on your computer if you haven't done yet. Try it to see if you get access.
14th October 2012, 02:19 AM |#5  
orange county

More
I have adb installed and bugging is enabled. i can connect to the device, but when I try to do an adb backup it says to say yes to the prompt on the phone. Problem is that I cant use my phone cause of the screen. Is my only option to dock it with a keyboard and mouse? Is there a way to remove the lock pattern through adb??
14th October 2012, 01:32 PM |#6  
orange county

More
Update... Here's what I did.

I ran adb pull /mnt/sdcard but that didnt pull my dcim folder. There were two dcim folders. One on the internal sd and one on the external sd.

What's the best way to pull everything off the phone??

When I try to back up it says this...

C:\users\admin>adb backup -all
Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)