FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to get OTA on rooted phone without wiping all data

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By 504chris, Junior Member on 5th August 2012, 05:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Sorry if this questions is noobish,

But I rooted my Sprint GS3 w/ CWM and want to know if theres a way to flash the OTA's without it wiping all my data? I had the original Evo before and everytime I flashed an update it erased all my apps and data, but that was also using custom roms. I'm content with the GS3 stock rom, just don't want to lose all my data.

5th August 2012, 06:00 PM |#2  
Flag far far away
Thanks Meter: 154

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504chris

Sorry if this questions is noobish,

But I rooted my Sprint GS3 w/ CWM and want to know if theres a way to flash the OTA's without it wiping all my data? I had the original Evo before and everytime I flashed an update it erased all my apps and data, but that was also using custom roms. I'm content with the GS3 stock rom, just don't want to lose all my data.

DL Voodoo OTA rootkeeper from the Market
The Following User Says Thank You to evoer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift evoer Ad-Free
5th August 2012, 06:07 PM |#3  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 715

More
What I did was use Voodoo OTA rootkeeper to temperarily unroot the phone. Then I reflashed the stock recovery. (look here for the stock recovery file to odin to your phone) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...stock+recovery

Once I did that the OTA download would install.

Then you can rerun Voodoo to reroot your phone. You can also reinstall CWM if needed. I haven't bothered yet so I am running root with stock recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to poit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift poit Ad-Free
5th August 2012, 06:17 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poit

What I did was use Voodoo OTA rootkeeper to temperarily unroot the phone. Then I reflashed the stock recovery. (look here for the stock recovery file to odin to your phone) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...stock+recovery

Then you can rerun Voodoo to reroot your phone. You can also reinstall CWM if needed. I haven't bothered yet so I am running root with stock recovery.

I'm gonna try that. But Superuser has a temp unroot option and survive OTA option....that should work right? Or is Voodoo better?
5th August 2012, 06:56 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by poit

THANKS, your advice to reflash stock recovery seems to have worked. after i reflashed stock recovery, i had to manually flash the LG2 to LG8 update file since i had already tried to accept it as an OTA last nite and failed bc of CWM. i didnt use Voodoo, Superuser's temp unroot and survive OTA options seem to have worked, except now SU doesnt allow me to toggle those 2 options on/off anymore. But SU still allows me to toggle SU permissions for apps on/off
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)