FORUMS

[TUT] Smphony.W25/Karbonn.A7/Mobistar.S01/Ktouch.W650 Rooting Process and Custom ROMs

155 posts
Thanks Meter: 28

Post Reply Email Thread
14th September 2012, 03:23 PM |#41  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dhaka

More
Ok it worked. Tried both of them using that method. Now phone is using the boot.img from your rootrepack folder.

took a bit longer to startup though. maybe because of wiping the cache.

What to do next ? [.___.]
14th September 2012, 04:05 PM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Yes, correct. The cache is rebuilt (it shouldn't take as long from subsequent boots).

Code:
adb shell id
While the phone is running. Let's see what that returns.
14th September 2012, 04:18 PM |#43  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dhaka

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_cheng

Yes, correct. The cache is rebuilt (it shouldn't take as long from subsequent boots).

Code:
adb shell id
While the phone is running. Let's see what that returns.

Code:
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
14th September 2012, 04:56 PM |#44  

More

Now, let's see what we can do:

Code:
adb remount
adb shell touch /system/pwned && echo success || echo fail
Just copy-paste the output, no need screenshot.

Btw if you're familiar with IRC I'm available on the Freenode network in #android-root
14th September 2012, 05:13 PM |#45  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dhaka

More
Not sure how to use IRC. not familiar with it.

Anyways,

C:\Users\ZunA\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb remount
remount succeeded

C:\Users\ZunA\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell touch /
system/pwned && echo success || echo fail
touch: not found
success
14th September 2012, 06:37 PM |#46  

More
Crap. All these funny vendors not supplying useful shell commands. OK nvm try:

Code:
adb remount
adb shell echo "1" > /system/pwned
adb shell cat /system/pwned
If the last output of that is "1" then congratulations, you have root! If not, we'll have to see what's preventing write access. Otherwise, go ahead and download the attachment. Unpack, and copy the 3 files to the folder from where you're running ADB.

Then you need to check whether su already exists:

Code:
adb remount
adb shell which su
It should return a path (means it exists) or say "no su" (it does not). Even if it does, there may be something wrong with it, so back it up and replace it as well as push all necessary binaries:

Code:
adb pull /path/to/su su.bak # you would've got the path from above
adb shell rm /path/to/su
adb push su /system/bin/ # this is the su from the attachment
adb push busybox /system/xbin/
adb shell
# you should now be dropped to a shell on the phone
chmod 4555 /system/bin/su
chown root:root /system/bin/su
chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
exit
# now you are back on cmd prompt
adb install Superuser.apk
Now, that looks pretty daunting, I know. But just follow line by line and you'll be good to go
Attached Files
File Type: 7z w25root.7z - [Click for QR Code] (898.6 KB, 452 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to jason_cheng For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jason_cheng Ad-Free
14th September 2012, 07:32 PM |#47  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dhaka

More
C:\Users\ZunA\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell echo "1
" > /system/pwned
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\ZunA\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell cat /sy
stem/pwned
/system/pwned: No such file or directory

C:\Users\ZunA\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb remount
remount succeeded

C:\Users\ZunA\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell which s
u
which: not found

haven't tried the other codes. don't know path to su
14th September 2012, 07:57 PM |#48  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dhaka

More
ok this time I used only adb shell at the first line.

C:\Users\ZunA\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
# echo "1" > /system/pwned
echo "1" > /system/pwned
# cat /system/pwned
cat /system/pwned
#
which su
which su
which: not found

#
The Following User Says Thank You to ahmed.zunaid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ahmed.zunaid Ad-Free
14th September 2012, 09:14 PM |#49  

More
Sorry about that. The redirection (the ">") was treated inside the windows prompt (so the prompt was searching for the path on the PC), not in the shell. You did the right thing by just opening a shell, good job

OK bro, you are officially root Please now remove that test file you created for the sake of cleanliness:

Code:
adb shell rm /system/pwned
And it seems yet again the phone does not have another *NIX command. Not an issue, after all we're only concerned whether su already exists and we want to replace it.

Actually the files are there for your convenience and immediate testing. You can just get both BusyBox and Superuser from the market [1][2]. I don't know if the Superuser app comes with a su binary, but if it doesn't, simply:

Code:
adb remount
adb push su /system/xbin/su
# changed perms slightly so it may be updated by other apps
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
Try the apps, first Superuser, then BusyBox (not mandatory but some root apps may require it). So, tap the install button

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.su&hl=en
[2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....busybox&hl=en
The Following User Says Thank You to jason_cheng For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jason_cheng Ad-Free
15th September 2012, 03:54 PM |#50  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dhaka

More
Talking
Whut ? That's It? Dude you sure? The phone doesn't feel different though. Though it would shoot lasers and stuff

Man, thanks a lot for helping me out. I'll DL superuser and busybox then report back if any error occurs

[EDIT] No errors were found for superuser and busybox

Plz tell me the process how to allow superuser access to move files to sdcard.
Alsio suggest me some work I can do with the newly rooted phone

Again, thaks a lot, Bro ..
15th September 2012, 04:47 PM |#51  

More
Well to be really sure you must get su up and running. I think having BusyBox will test whether you really "have root", or you can get an app like Root Checker (just search, pick the first result).

But otherwise that should really be about it, because the objective was a root shell (the environment that lets you run commands). You see, you were able to create a file in the system partition. That means read-write access to /system, which in turn means being able to modify anything in that partition. The Superuser app is merely a wrapper around the su binary, which forwards any request made to it.

But that also means the Java layer is dependent upon the su binary. Even if you have root via ADB, if su for some reason fails to run properly (it can happen, as it did for the stock binary on my W10), it's as good as no root and you're left to do everything manually (no nice root apps).

You have to keep in mind that one can't really "move" apps to the sd card by just moving the APK. This is because the data the app stores is still on the internal memory, in /data. Thankfully this is where apps like data2sd come in. However, I myself am rather new to Android though not to GNU/Linux (an OS using the Linux kernel for the desktop) and I have yet to do anything more than remove the bloat. I am slowly filling up the internal storage once more.

Building a ROM based on a popular custom distribution (CyanogenMod) should be a reasonable target, but it's not looking trivial at the moment because of the lack of dual-sim ROMs. All you can do is basically repack (which are the ROMs you see currently for the other Indian and Chinese phones) with themes and stuff. Do nudge this thread or PM me if you happen to chance upon a custom ROM for such dual-sim phones, or we may create a new thread which could serve as a placeholder for all things Symphony.

Don't mention it. We jump in to tinker with these phones, we potentially help a small minority out there who cannot afford or have no access to better phones. So far we can vouch for the Symphony Xplorer W10 and W25
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
karbonn-a7-star

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)