FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Portable Computer Conversion

2,061 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,473

Post Reply Email Thread
Three days ago, my computer drew its last breath. Knowing I would not be able to get another for a little while, I decided to make due with what I had......My Skyrocket. Here is what I did, with some pics.

Let me start by saying that my case is a cover/belt holster combo with a kickstand. Next, I bought an OTG cable from Amazon for around $5. There are some much cheaper, but I hate waiting the shipping time from Hong Kong. Then at Wal-Mart, I picked up an Onn USB 2.0 hub for $11, and an Onn wireless keyboard on clearance for $7. So for my project, I only spent $23. Everything else I already had lying around. The Hub and the OTG cable are attatched to the back of my case by a velcro type material, and are removed easily, but do not fall off. Very sturdy stuff. Oddly enough, with these on the back, the phone fits even better in my hand. It actually makes contact with my palm and gives me a much more comfortable grip. They stay on there at all times, except when in the kickstand and deployed.

Now, I needed a desktop replacement. My choice was an app in the market called Complete Linux Installer. I downloaded the Ubuntu large Image and Backtrack. I have placed Backtrack on my 4Gb thumbdrive, and Ubuntu on the 8 Gb thumbdrive. So basically, I am using no memory on my internal or external sd. Here and some pics of the setup.

Now, I have a portable linux desktop wherever I go. It's just something I threw together and wanted to share. Maybe give some folks an idea of what you can do with some of the accessories you can get for this device. Thanks for reading!

Sent from My SKYICS powered, iPhone killing, i727 death machine.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rebel1699 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rebel1699 Ad-Free
15th August 2012, 04:13 PM |#2  
Flag Youngstown Ohio
Thanks Meter: 77

Donate to Me
More
great idea.
but i got my netbook for $100 only, for extra $75 i'd rather have my netbook. craigslist is a very good place to look for cheap computers if you are in the US.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
16th August 2012, 03:15 PM |#3  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 7

More
That's really using your head. Does the SR do well with performance on Linux? Also, I'd bet all that would fit in an Altoids tin or other such small box.
16th August 2012, 05:28 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ipswich
Thanks Meter: 1,819

Donate to Me
More
LOVE IT!!
Really enjoy seeing stuff like this, more so when they use my app P
The Following User Says Thank You to zacthespack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zacthespack Ad-Free
16th August 2012, 05:59 PM |#5  
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 569

Donate to Me
More
if only we could use the otg adapter while charging...
19th August 2012, 06:43 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Oklahoma
Thanks Meter: 1,473

More
You did Complete linux installer? Awesome! Going to be doing the exact same thing with a nexus 7 very soon. Thank for the app! Priceless.

19th August 2012, 07:11 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ipswich
Thanks Meter: 1,819

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel1699

You did Complete linux installer? Awesome! Going to be doing the exact same thing with a nexus 7 very soon. Thank for the app! Priceless.

Sounds greet perhaps you would be interested in doing some guides to be posted on the blog/thread/FAQ for the project to making such a set up. PM me if interested

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
21st August 2012, 07:42 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Very interesting might try this
21st August 2013, 08:18 PM |#9  
Why haven't you considered a tablet for desktop replacement? with a bluetooth keyboard you can't go wrong and more than enough apps IMO to fulfill ones desktop needs

Im a fan of bigger screens hence my suggestion.
23rd August 2013, 01:55 AM |#10  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 376

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago10029

Why haven't you considered a tablet for desktop replacement? with a bluetooth keyboard you can't go wrong and more than enough apps IMO to fulfill ones desktop needs

Im a fan of bigger screens hence my suggestion.

I'm also a fan of bigger screens, so here's another suggestion:
why not connect the phone to a tv/monitor through hdmi and use a bluetooth mouse & keyboard set up?
30th August 2013, 04:09 PM |#11  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 376

More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjVV...e_gdata_player

Look at this guy. Bluetooth mouse and keyboard + hdmi connected all at the same time. Now that's a portable computer. Except he does it on a Note. Can it be done on our phone?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)