FORUMS

Samsung Rugby Smart (SGH-I847, Galaxy W Variant) Super Thread

1,349 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,293

By kemonine96, Inactive Recognized Developer on 17th August 2012, 03:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Welcome to the Samsung Rugby Smart (SGH-I847, Galaxy W Variant) Super Thread

If you create a support thread related to items in this super or for more generalized help, please PM me or motorhead1991 as a heads up. We've been doing a lot of work on getting things going for the device and can likely provide some amount of help. Having said that, please create a thread with the problem so everyone can benefit if a solution is found.

We are pleased to announce the formation of Team Rugby. A group of us doing development work have gotten together to centralize source code, development and IRC channels. Things are getting under way and we will be posting a bit more as things progress. The two biggest changes are the source code being moved to TeamRugby on github and a new IRC channel on freenode #teamrugby .

Team Rugby is pleased to present....

Drivers -- ATT_I847_Rugby_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1_3_2 200_0.exe

How to boot into various environments -- Recovery, download, odin)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...24&postcount=2

Rooting
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...42&postcount=3

Recoveries -- ClockWork and Stock
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...55&postcount=4

ODIN Images -- Stock, no bloatware, recoveries
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...69&postcount=5

ROMs -- Has been released, a dedicated support thread is now online.

Custom Kernel / Tweaks / Tricks
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...32&postcount=7

Teardown Album -- Thanks motorhead1991
http://s478.beta.photobucket.com/use...pache-teardown

Partition Map (for the curious): Partitions.txt

Goo.im Mirror
There is now a goo.im mirror that will contain the latest and greatest of the items listed below. I will be updating the thread and mirroring to goo whenever there is an update. You can find the files here or within goo manager (available from the play store) under devs/kemonine/apache.

IRC Channel
Team Rugby can be found on Freenode #teamrugby. A lot of discussion happens there and we also tend to idle in the original IRC channel (below).

motorhead1991 has been kind enough to setup an IRC channel on irc.androidirc.com for us. Channel #rugby-smart We both idle on and off during the day.

I am not responsible for anything bad that comes to your device when using the information posted in this thread. Everything here is dangerous, may cause a brick, will void a warranty and has the potential to just plain wreak havoc. Do not complain you followed my instructions and met with a dead device. Consider yourself warned

I've tested to the best of my ability, but I am one person with one device, I cannot catch all potential failure modes. If you find a problem and a fix, or have information that should be added let me know and I will update the necessary information.

I've noticed an uptick in downloads. Please feel free to post and ask questions.

Thanks to newbit for his work on the OTA update and getting us an ODIN image that can serve as an upgrade if the OTA fails.
Thanks to motorhead1991 for all the tweaks / kernel and ROM help
Thanks to nicedream06 for the help testing CWMR 6.0.1.1
Thanks to arco68 for the tips on what needed to be done with the Linux Kernel and making it work with CM9 and for the general work on the Galaxy W which this is based upon
Thanks to THE-E for the Galaxy W ODIN images which I used as a base for the ones posted below.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free
17th August 2012, 03:45 PM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Boot Different Modes
Boot Different Modes
  • Boot Clockwork Recovery
    1. Power off device
    2. Vol Up + Power
    3. Release both when logo appears
    4. Will boot into recovery after a period of time
  • Boot Stock Recovery
    1. Power off device
    2. Vol Up + Power
    3. Release both when logo appears
    4. Logo will reappear in white shade
    5. Release Vol Up and power
    6. Press and hold menu when white logo disappears
    7. The logo will appear in a yellow shade -- keep holding menu
    8. A logo with a box, an arrow pointing out of it and an android will appear
    9. Release menu key
    10. Press menu key
    11. A menu in blue will appear after a few seconds
  • Boot Odin / Download Mode
    1. Power off device
    2. Vol Down + Power
    3. Release power when white Samsung logo appears
    4. Release Vol Down when warning appears
    5. Pressing Vol Up will enter download mode
    6. --- If you enter RAM dump mode, don't freak out. Pull the battery and re-try.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free
17th August 2012, 03:45 PM |#3  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Rooting
Root
From Stock Recovery
Courtesy of Android Forums
This is a DESTRUCTIVE process. It will erase data and your sd card! You've been warned.
  1. Download update.zip
  2. Copy zip to sd card
  3. Boot recovery (see above for instructions on how to boot into stock recovery)
  4. Select "Apply update from sd card" (see below for stock recovery usage)
  5. After the phone reboots you should now have root

From ClockWork Recovery
This is non-destructive. Simply gives you root, if you have ClockWork Recovery, you want to use this method.
  1. Download cwmr_root.zip
  2. Copy zip to sd card
  3. Boot recovery (see above for instructions on how to boot into CWR)
  4. Select "Install zip from sd card"
  5. Select "Choose zip from sd card"
  6. Navigate to zip
  7. Select zip
  8. Confirm
  9. Reboot
  10. You should now have root
The Following User Says Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free
17th August 2012, 03:45 PM |#4  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Recovery
Recoveries
Note the below ClockWork recovery images use the external sd card for storage due to the small size of the internal sd card
Version 6.x will fall back to the internal SD card if no external card is found.

Using Stock Recovery
Use the Volume Up/Down keys to scroll up or down, then press the key to make a selection.
Menu descriptions / purposes
  • reboot system now: this option turns on your phone.
  • apply update from sdcard: this option allows you to apply updates from your memory card to your phone.
  • wipe data/factory reset: deletes all data from the phone except pictures and videos.
  • wipe cache partition: allows you to delete all cache data such as log files.
  • install fota: allows you to install over-the-air firmware.

ClockWork Recovery Installation
Courtesy of Android Forums
  1. Root device (see above for instructions)
  2. Enable debugging on device
  3. Plug into computer
  4. Copy recovery image to sdcard (download links below)
  5. Run adb shell
  6. su
  7. Optional -- Backup stock recovery: dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/stock_recovery.img
  8. dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
  9. exit
  10. adb reboot recovery

Images
Motorhead Recovery Images (Current): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2188936
TWRP 2.4.1.0 (KemoNineBuild; Update.zip installer): apache_twrp_2.4.1.0.zip
ClockWork Recovery 6.0.2.8 (KemoNine Build; Update.zip installer): apache_cwm_6.0.2.8.zip
Stock Recovery Image: stock_gingerbread.ucla4.img
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free
17th August 2012, 03:46 PM |#5  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
ODIN
ODIN
You need ODIN 4.43. Google it, I will not provide a link to the tool. Deal.

Flash an ODIN Image
  1. Download OPS file (see below)
  2. Download image to flash (see below)
  3. Extract image
  4. Charge phone to 100%
  5. Install drivers (see above for download link)
  6. Boot phone to download mode (see above for instructions)
  7. Run ODIN as administrator
  8. Click OPS button
  9. Select downloaded OPS file
  10. Ensure checkboxes are correct
    Checked: one package, auto reboot, protect ops
    Unchecked: Reset time
  11. Click One Package
  12. Select the .tar.md5 file that you want to flash
  13. Click start
  14. Will take awhile (10-30 minutes depending)
  15. Phone will either reboot or attempt a reboot and go to the charging screen
  16. If it goes to the charging screen, just turn it on. No need to panic.

OPS File Needed For ODIN Flash: Ancora.ops

Flashable Modem Images
Flashable Boot / Kernal Images
Flashable Recoveries
Flashable System Images + Recovery + Kernel
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free
17th August 2012, 03:46 PM |#6  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
CyanogenMod 9 / 10 (CM9/CM10)
There are now multiple versions of CyanogenMod available for the Rugby Smart.

CyanogenMod 9: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1940632

CyanogenMod 10: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=34625020

AOKP (Thanks Motorhead1991!): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2075160
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kemonine96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemonine96 Ad-Free
17th August 2012, 03:47 PM |#7  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Misc 2
Title: Misc Tweaks / Tricks

2.6 / 3.0 Custom Kernels
Motorhead1991 has created a thread for the current kernels being developed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2056652

Tethering
Thanks to nicedream06 for figuring out how to get tethering on the stock ROM without the need for an ATT tethering plan. I have taken his work and turned it into a simple update.zip and Tasker profile. You need root in order to do enable tethering.

Enable Tethering
  1. Download enable_tethering.zip
  2. Drop it onto your sd card
  3. Install from Clockwork Recovery
    If you do not have clockwork recovery, but have root, unzip the package and read through the update-script.
  4. Reboot
  5. Install Enable_Tethering.apk if you don't have Tasker. The app was generated from the below profile using "Tasker App Factory".
  6. Install Tasker
  7. Download Tasker_Enable_Tethering.prf.xml
  8. Drop it on to your sd card
  9. Import the profile into Tasker
    For the curious: It runs sqlite3 every time the mobile network becomes the primary internet connection ensuring that tethering will allowed.
  10. Enable tethering!

Stock Tethering
  1. Download stock_tethering.zip
  2. Drop it onto your sd card
  3. Install from Clockwork Recovery
    If you do not have clockwork recovery, but have root, unzip the package and read through the update-script.
  4. Reboot
  5. Your back to stock!

Custom Stock Kernel
Motorhead1991 has put together a custom kernel for stock devices, has a number of useful tweaks for CPU governors, IO scheduler and the like. His thread is here. If possible, please keep custom kernel discussion in his thread so he knows if there are problems.

Motorhead's sources: https://github.com/Motorhead1991/sam...source-msm7x30

[de]odex
CWR flashable de-odex / re-odex updates. If you don't know what this is, you don't want it. Please note that the de-odex update will re-install the Tethering Manager apk. You'll need to re-run the enable_tethering CWR zip
Power Menu Mod
Mod by Motorhead that adds reboot / recovery / download to the power menu. Requires a de-odex'd system. This is a manual tweak right now. I will eventually get to turning it into a CWR.

Thread for discussion: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1903199

Wake Key Mod
Courtesy of Motorhead1991 some tweaks to sec_key.kl for enabling extra wake keys (like the home button)
sec_key.kl

Tweaked build.prop
Courtesy of Motorhead1991 a customized build.prop:
build.prop

Updated Modems (CWR Flashable)
Courtesy of Motorhead1991
17th August 2012, 07:09 PM |#8  
Flag Yogyakarta - Indonesia
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_SGW_CM9

I see no reasons for telling us the things we all know...

If we didn't root our device. Didn't install clockworkmod. Didn't know how to boot into cwm or stock recovery. Do u think we can have custom rom?

....in all. Idk why telling us things that we know how to do already.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using xda premium

The title says Samsung Rugby Smart Thread, this is a Rugby Smart thread, posted inside Galaxy W due to the lack of subforum.

Yes, all of the information is already written before, for the Galaxy W, not Samsung Rugby smart. This thread is intended for Rugby Smart owner, NOT Galaxy W owner.

This thread, according to OP's post in the General thread, is intended for Rugby Smart users to recover/restore system images. Several things might differ from our phone. And they are in the process of porting Arco's CM9 to their device.

I didn't see any problem for rugby smart owner to post here, unless the mod says otherwise.

That's my opinion, sorry for the irrelevant post. Next time read the thread title.

Sent from my Modded Stock DXLA2 (Didn't have the mood to update)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reidzeibel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift reidzeibel Ad-Free
19th August 2012, 10:31 AM |#9  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Australia
Thanks Meter: 1,909

More
Keep it on-topic guys. Cleaned, and won't be cleaned again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juzz86 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift juzz86 Ad-Free
8th September 2012, 07:43 PM |#10  
Flag Kraków
Thanks Meter: 1,247

More
Question Media quality
Does the camera record at the stock ROM ucla4 with the Advanced Audio Codec with 48 kHz sampling rate?

Can you record a short piece video in and provide a link?
9th September 2012, 09:25 PM |#11  
Flag Michigan

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze7zez

Does the camera record at the stock ROM ucla4 with the Advanced Audio Codec with 48 kHz sampling rate?

Can you record a short piece video in and provide a link?

The stock camera / video app records video in AAC @ 44khz.

I was able to use a 3rd party app from the market (lgCamera) to record video with AAC @ 48khz and 256kbit.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
development

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)