FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

USB OTG Cable host mode while charging anyone try this accessory?

183 posts
Thanks Meter: 39
 
By tahlsr, Senior Member on 17th August 2012, 11:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've searched and never seen an actual 'buyable' product linked on the forums so if this is a dup, I apologize.
Anyone try one of these and see if you can have your Nexus in host mode and charge at the same time?
Is the only option for the female Micro USB port to bring more charge to a usb device plugged in and not to bring charge
to the Nexus itself?

Two scenarios would make this ideal for me:
1.) using my usb xbox controller to play games yet still keeping my tablet charged
2.) using a usb thumb drive to play a movie while still keeping my table charged

I think this would be pretty cool if it worked but I don't know the technical details on if it can be done with our Nexus 7's:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110931117836

 
 
18th August 2012, 12:19 AM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Looks like it's meant for providing power to the USB device you connect (e.g.. external hard drive) instead of to the Nexus7...
21st August 2012, 02:04 AM |#3  
dcplaya's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 5
 
Donate to Me
More
The eBay description says it provides charging the the micro-USB port. Only way to know is to buy it and try it out
21st August 2012, 02:17 AM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Who's going to be the Guinea pig?

Sent from my Nexus 7
21st August 2012, 03:29 PM |#5  
RED ZMAN's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag ABQ - Albuquerque Metro, NM
Thanks Meter: 990
 
Donate to Me
More
Hell, I'd do it, but I don't have a Nexus seven yet. LOL

I've been waiting for someone to get a working solution fit this before I purchase one. That and I need good 3.5mm sound quality and I've read its ****e on the Nexus 7.

Blasted from my HTC Rezound (Zone23s Newtified 3.2.1)
21st August 2012, 06:51 PM |#6  
AraDreamer's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Austin/Waco, Texas
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ZMAN

Hell, I'd do it, but I don't have a Nexus seven yet. LOL

I've been waiting for someone to get a working solution fit this before I purchase one. That and I need good 3.5mm sound quality and I've read its ****e on the Nexus 7.

Blasted from my HTC Rezound (Zone23s Newtified 3.2.1)

My sounds works fine, and I haven't even bothered getting the volume + app yet for tweaking. I think there's just no pleasing some ppl with a bare bones tablet like this one.

-Ara

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to AraDreamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AraDreamer Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 03:10 AM |#7  
RED ZMAN's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag ABQ - Albuquerque Metro, NM
Thanks Meter: 990
 
Donate to Me
More
I have a OK Galaxy Tab in the dash of my car, and use the headset port for music, didn't want to upgrade without seeing one in person.

Hopefully some sort of dock solution will make Otg and charging possible and I can upgrade. Thanks!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
22nd August 2012, 06:58 AM |#8  
WinDroidGuy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 951
 
Donate to Me
More
Ordered 1, but says shipping is between September 7 to September 20 haha
22nd August 2012, 07:15 AM |#9  
davidcampbell's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Thanks Meter: 88
 
More
OTG and Charging is mutually exclusive, the OTG cable triggers the USB controller to send power out to a device, not receive power.

the pogo docks on the bottom of the device are also impossible to charge from as the nexus 7 has only been given one charging circuit, and that is the same one that OTG disables.


The only way to achieve something like this would be a physical battery hack where you splice in a charging circuit direct to the battery, without frying the phone maybe some unidirectional resistors, so that it can be simultaneously charged whilst powering the device.


I'm 99% certain of this information, and this is not to say someone might hack a kernel together one day
The Following User Says Thank You to davidcampbell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift davidcampbell Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 08:53 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
you might be able to install one of them batteries you can just set it on a charging pad and it will charge

Click image for larger version

Name:	energizer-wireless-iphone-charger.jpg
Views:	3213
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1275126
22nd August 2012, 09:10 AM |#11  
WinDroidGuy's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 951
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerd25017

you might be able to install one of them batteries you can just set it on a charging pad and it will charge


Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcampbell

OTG and Charging is mutually exclusive, the OTG cable triggers the USB controller to send power out to a device, not receive power.

the pogo docks on the bottom of the device are also impossible to charge from as the nexus 7 has only been given one charging circuit, and that is the same one that OTG disables.


The only way to achieve something like this would be a physical battery hack where you splice in a charging circuit direct to the battery, without frying the phone maybe some unidirectional resistors, so that it can be simultaneously charged whilst powering the device.


I'm 99% certain of this information, and this is not to say someone might hack a kernel together one day

I have a ZAGG battery pack I'm planning on trying this with and I will report back I also have that same pad and I can get a fairly cheap charger to place on the matt as you say. Either way that wouldn't be very convenient, but I'll check it out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes