"Hardware ID doesn't match" error when plugging phone in

214 posts
Thanks Meter: 156

By Volknochi, Senior Member on 20th August 2012, 11:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th September 2012, 03:51 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
But why this problem now out of nowhere when everything worked fine before.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
5th September 2012, 11:57 PM |#12  
Flag Here & Now
Thanks Meter: 207

More
Thumbs up Hardware ID missing - SOLVED!!
1. Uninstall any previous instance of Kies/USB driver
2. Download the latest Kies, specific to your S3.
3. Download Samsung USB drivers 1.4.6.0 (I've tried newer versions but they all failed)
4. REBOOT
5. Disconnect from internet (VERY IMPORTANT!!! - forcing Windows to install local drivers ONLY)
6. With the phone disconnected, install Kies + USB drivers downloaded in steps 2,3
7. Connect the phone and let Windows install the drivers.
8. Reestablish the internet connection.

I've done just that, I've connected my S3 to the PC several times, I've also rebooted twice and I've never seen that stupid message again - while of course everything works as expected.

4 days later, several times rebooted (phone and PC), several connections with Kies and I have NEVER seen that error again - it works!!

UPDATE!! (Oct.11.2012)

After a few Kies updates and going through various ROM's:
- the procedure listed above works 100% but a few steps are just not needed (redundant) - see bellow
- the problem is mostly caused by Windows "forcefully" trying to install its own drivers, rather than allowing Samsung's suggested.
- Samsung's fault is providing "updated" drivers that don't always work (hence, use the suggested 1.4.6.0 drivers)
- Following EVERY Kies update, DISCONNECT from internet before plugging your phone (otherwise you'll have to go through this, AGAIN).

Some suggested here that plugging the phone into a different USB port (without disconnecting from internet) would be the culprit - which happens to be true, but as a mere effect, not the cause: every time an unknown device is plugged into a different USB port, Windows is trying to download/install the appropriate drivers if it doesn't recognize the hardware - and there you are again.

So, the simplified procedure becomes:

1. Not needed - leave Kies installed, as is - no harm at all
2. N/A
3. YES
4. Not (always) required
5. MUST
6. MUST
7. MUST
8. Yes

Furthermore, if still interested in connecting your I747(M) as UMS (USB mass storage) the solution presented here works. I tested it myself - read my comment on this post for the very few existing hiccups.
- while installing the USB mass storage device drivers you don't have to disconnect from the internet
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nacos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nacos Ad-Free
6th September 2012, 08:12 PM |#13  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 147

More
Install Drivers
Have you tried just installing the drivers directly from Samsung? That is all I did when I had problems and it worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to tyler1037 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tyler1037 Ad-Free
7th September 2012, 01:45 PM |#14  
Flag Here & Now

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1037

Have you tried just installing the drivers directly from Samsung? That is all I did when I had problems and it worked.

For someone experiencing the "hardware ID missing" error, just reinstalling the drivers won't do anything. Like many others, I've been banging my head trying to solve this for quite some time; the suggested steps are truly a compilation of successful ideas and trials mingled with tons of frustration, coming from my own experience as well as from many different people and forums.
If, on the other hand, you had a different type of connectivity issues - without this error, then, yes, reinstalling the drivers is Samsung's recommendation.
The Following User Says Thank You to nacos For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nacos Ad-Free
7th September 2012, 07:28 PM |#15  
Flag Washington, IL.
Thanks Meter: 202

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by billard412

definitely don't need to reinstall windows or do a restore. But just to be sure, you don't have kies installed right? Seems to cause problems.if there's no kies installed, go into the device manager and find your phone whatever it's listed as right click and uninstall. Check the little box that says, "delete the driver software for this device". do this for any devices relating to yours. Including the stuff under modems,ports,USB controllers.and tick that box that delete driver software for this device every time you uninstall something. Now, not saying it's necessary but wouldnt hurt, reboot the pc. Then with your phone unplugged, reinstall the Samsung drivers for the phone. Now to make sure windows doesn't DL its own drivers,disconnect from the internet and plug the phone back in. Should be all good.

Just wanted to say thank you. Did this and the last 2 days, works everytime. I made sure that after the first time I plugged the phone in after doing all this, and the screen pops up asking what I wanted to do, made sure to check the box for "do this everytime" and then choose the view folder option or whatever that is.

Thank you again,
Whiteice
8th September 2012, 08:49 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
One thing I have tried which might help others - I had the Android Developers toolkit installed on my machine, which I've removed and I also removed the HTC Sync software which was for my old desire.

Rebooted, installed the SG Toolkit (can't remember which post I found it in) and then chose option one after selecting firmware to install drivers.

I cancelled the "Windows Updates" bit of the driver detection and it found the first item, and had "item disconnected" for the remaining three.

Unplugged and plugged back in and voila it works.

This worked for approx 5 mins and then stopped, however I did all the above with debugging on, debugging is now off and all seems well (touch wood). However looking at putting on a different kernal to expose storage as mass storage and also get around cifs issues.

Hope this helps someone.
20th September 2012, 02:56 AM |#17  
Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Themer
Flag Missouri City
Thanks Meter: 14,684

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacos

3. Download Samsung USB drivers 1.4.6.0 (I've tried newer versions but they all failed)
4. REBOOT
5. Disconnect from internet (VERY IMPORTANT!!! - forcing Windows to install local drivers ONLY)
6. With the phone disconnected, install Kies + USB drivers downloaded in steps 2,3

I've done just that, I've connected my S3 to the PC several times, I've also rebooted twice and I've never seen that stupid message again - while of course everything works as expected.

4 days later, several times rebooted (phone and PC), several connections with Kies and I have NEVER seen that error again - it works!!

Thank you so much for this. This solution worked for me.
20th September 2012, 04:09 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 125

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacos

4. REBOOT

Thanks for this i will try it tomorrow as still new to these tabs.
For moment i change to camera PTP and it pops up, so at least i can use it for now.
Will let you know how i get on.
Best wishes
21st September 2012, 03:59 PM |#19  
Flag Here & Now

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamspud

One thing I have tried which might help others - I had the Android Developers toolkit installed on my machine, which I've removed and I also removed the HTC Sync software which was for my old desire.

Rebooted, installed the SG Toolkit (can't remember which post I found it in) and then chose option one after selecting firmware to install drivers.

I cancelled the "Windows Updates" bit of the driver detection and it found the first item, and had "item disconnected" for the remaining three.

Unplugged and plugged back in and voila it works.

This worked for approx 5 mins and then stopped, however I did all the above with debugging on, debugging is now off and all seems well (touch wood). However looking at putting on a different kernal to expose storage as mass storage and also get around cifs issues.

Hope this helps someone.

The Android Developers toolkit DOES install the USB drivers 1.4.6.0 - which seems to be the ONLY one that works, BUT the rest of the steps suggested in my previous post are needed in order to get rid of the problem - otherwise the fix is just temporary.
21st September 2012, 05:48 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Re-loading OS drivers corrected issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1037

I removed the updates to Kies on my Note and uninstalled the Kies update on the PC which is what started this issue of the OS not recognizing the device and then a fresh driver load for my phone from the Samsung site. Worked Perfectly, Thanks!

Cowoholy
23rd September 2012, 05:38 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 156

More
This didn't work for me. I still get the error message, plus my computer (Win7 64 Ultimate) keeps saying it fails to install the Samsung drivers.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)