Happening now! New Honor Phone Launch
FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Jellybean, Flash, and Dolphin Browser with pinch zoom working

209 posts
Thanks Meter: 87

By Fireplug, Senior Member on 21st August 2012, 10:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Not certain if this is the only way to get the latest versions of Dolphin Browser, Adobe Flash Player and Jellybean to play nice together, but this is a method that worked for me.

With this method I believe that you will have to choose between an unchangeable "Always On" or "On Demand" in Dolphin, because I think the software only limits your ability to make changes to the Flash setting, and since the default is normally Off when one downloads from the play store, normally one can't activate Flash without getting the slap on the hand "you can't do that" from Dolphin. The trick here is to save a copy of the Dolphin ICS settings which allow Flash use and then restore those on JB.

This is how it worked for me.

You need:

1. A device running ICS which probably needs to be rooted.
2. Your device running Jellybean which probably needs to be rooted.
3. Titanium backup on both device
4. A version of the Flash Player apk to side load which you can download (they are still available if you Google search) or a Titanium backed up version that you already made.

Turn off automatic backup from your Google account on your JB device.

On your ICS device install Titanium backup and Dolphin from the market. Open Dolphin, go to settings and turn on Flash content. Exit Dolphin. Open Titanium backup and make a backup of Dolphin and Flash player if that is how you will be getting Flash. Now you need to copy those backup files to your Jellybean device. There are several ways to do so which I won't cover here.

On your Jellybean device uninstall any copies of Dolphin and Flash you may already have on there. You can backup your bookmarks first if you wish but can't do a full backup and restore of all your settings because they will overwrite what we are going to do. Now, with a clean Jellybean, install titanium backup from the market if you don't already have it. Open titanium backup and find that dolphin backup you moved from the ICS device. Restore the app and data. Open Dolphin and go to settings and see that Flash is enabled but don't touch the toggle. Close Dolphin. Now either restore the Flash app in Titanium, or install it from an apk you found on the net

That's it.

Open Dolphin and you should now be able to use Flash, and pinch zoom.

If it was me I would never touch the flash toggle in Dolphin, and I wouldn't let Dolphin update either until we know the newer versions will work as well.

Your mileage may vary, but this worked for me. "Thanks" are appreciated if this works for you.

Good luck and please excuse any typos or mistakes as I was typing this in the car as my daughter was driving (scary)

UPDATE: This method works for Dolphin Beta Browser as well which has improved HTML5 compatibility.

UPDATE See post 3 and post 4 below for possible other methods to get it working without Titanium backup.

As gjc found, deleting the file /data/data/com.dolphin.browser.lab.en/shared_prefs/com.dolphin.browser.lab.en_preferences.xml may allow Dolphin Beta Browser to regenerate the file setting Flash to "On Demand"

As I found below, deleting the file data/data/mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser/shared_prefs/mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser_preferences.xml may allow the normal Dolphin Browser to regenerate the file setting Flash to "Always On"

So basically, this has allowed me to use Dolphin Browser to browse with Always On and Dolphin Beta Browser for when I wish to browse with the setting "On Demand" which, if not the best of all worlds, at least allows us to use Flash as we see fit.

Some testing and confirmation from others would be nice on these methods as what works for us may not necessarily work for you.
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to Fireplug For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fireplug Ad-Free

22nd August 2012, 01:28 AM |#2  
Flag Watertown, NY
Thanks Meter: 341

More
There must be something in the Dolphin program data that is telling it whether or not to allow flash. If we could find that than maybe we will only need to modify a single file. Until then thanks for confirming it works from Titanium.
22nd August 2012, 11:39 AM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker88

There must be something in the Dolphin program data that is telling it whether or not to allow flash. If we could find that than maybe we will only need to modify a single file. Until then thanks for confirming it works from Titanium.

The setting is in:
/data/data/com.dolphin.browser.lab.en/shared_prefs/com.dolphin.browser.lab.en_preferences.xml

I have tried changing this but dolphin changes it back

Edit: However, if you delete this file and then reopen dolphin, it recreates the file with the setting at 'on demand'

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gjc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gjc Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 06:34 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc

The setting is in:
/data/data/com.dolphin.browser.lab.en/shared_prefs/com.dolphin.browser.lab.en_preferences.xml

I have tried changing this but dolphin changes it back

Edit: However, if you delete this file and then reopen dolphin, it recreates the file with the setting at 'on demand'

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app

Cool. So if one only wants "On demand" one can use that method and if one wants "always on" one can use the original method.

I've noticed that with a lot of sites, particularly those that use Flowplayer, the "on demand" feature doesn't work so lately I have just kept it on "always on" since with a combo of Adaway and the new speed of JB pages aren't loading slowly as much anymore and that way every page seems to mostly work.

Thanks for the additional info! Do you mind if I add it to the OP giving you credit?

Update Hmmm. Tried deleting that file and it still stayed at Always on for me. So I uninstalled both Dolphin and Dolphin beta. Rebooted. Then Reinstalled Dolphin. Went to settings and it showed Flash as off. I then went to go delete the file and the com.dolphin.browser.lab.en is no longer there???

Update again. Figured out what is happening. The files you referred to are actually for the Dolphin Beta Browser. When installed that (had to side load because it is not available in the playstore for my JB device) then those files showed up. I was able to replicate that deleting that xml file caused the Dolphin Beta Browser to go from No Flash to On Demand.

Not sure where the equivalent files are located for the normal Dolphin Browser though.

3rd Update Found it! For the normal Dolphin Browser that you can download from the playstore right now, the file that needs to be deleted is:

data/data/mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser/shared_prefs/mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser_preferences.xml

When I deleted this and restarted Dolphin Browser then it went from "Off" to "Always On"

Weird that it is different from the Beta browser, but that is what happened for me.

Anyone else want to test this out?
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Fireplug For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fireplug Ad-Free
23rd August 2012, 01:12 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Confirmed working!

At first I tried renaming the file and it would just change the file name back. Downloaded the one from the play store. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
25th August 2012, 03:26 AM |#6  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hmm, im on a rogers galaxy s3 (i747m) using a AOKP JB rom (aug 23rd release) and i tried the deleting the xml file in the tunny brower folder etc.

I can open up the page and the video loads and you can see the grey bar fill up but teh video doesnt start... anyone else has this problem using AOKP rom and the s3?
25th August 2012, 05:23 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontommy

hmm, im on a rogers galaxy s3 (i747m) using a AOKP JB rom (aug 23rd release) and i tried the deleting the xml file in the tunny brower folder etc.

I can open up the page and the video loads and you can see the grey bar fill up but teh video doesnt start... anyone else has this problem using AOKP rom and the s3?

All videos, or a particular one? If you post which one I would be happy to test on my transformer prime tablet with baked JB rom to see if it is device or rom related.
26th August 2012, 08:51 PM |#8  
Flag Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 142

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireplug

All videos, or a particular one? If you post which one I would be happy to test on my transformer prime tablet with baked JB rom to see if it is device or rom related.

All videos that require browser driven flash players for me. Ie- streaming sport events.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium
26th August 2012, 10:18 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmkjr

All videos that require browser driven flash players for me. Ie- streaming sport events.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Hmm.

Not sure if it rom, phoine or method related because I just went to ESPN.com and the front page lets you watch live TV and it works fine on my transformer prime on Dolphin Browser on Baked JB Rom.

Maybe try my first method rather than the xml file delete method?
30th August 2012, 05:32 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hi I downloaded the dolphin browser from the play store and then deleted the file you said but flash shows as always on now but when I go to a flash site I get same prob. Any help?
30th August 2012, 07:08 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz4eva

Hi I downloaded the dolphin browser from the play store and then deleted the file you said but flash shows as always on now but when I go to a flash site I get same prob. Any help?

Can you give me a specific site you are going to in which it doesn't work, and the rom and device you are using?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
jellybean flash dolphin jb pinch

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)