FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**DEVICE SUGGESTION THREAD** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,573 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,266

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 22nd August 2012, 12:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidCarter93 Ad-Free

22nd August 2012, 02:34 AM |#2  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Vegas, Baby! Likes:XDA,Android Dislikes:Spammers
Thanks Meter: 5,122

More
Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mikef For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikef Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 06:52 AM |#3  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Coventry, UK

Donate to Me
More
I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidCarter93 Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 07:55 AM |#4  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :P

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OTAw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OTAw Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 08:25 AM |#5  
Flag Coventry, UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAw

Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :P

The galaxy tab 2 10.1 is a pretty good tablet but it just seems a bit bland to me. Mainly because there wasn't much difference from the original galaxy tab 10.1.
The Nexus 7 is a little beast of a tablet though, so that could always be an option for you.
But if you wanna stay with Galaxy, then it's probably best to wait for the Note 2 like you said.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidCarter93 Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 08:41 AM |#6  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 1,632

More
I have doubts that this will cut down on the many "which device should I buy" threads in this forum, but here's hoping! Ideally, this thread will be used for all such questions. If so, I may sticky it so anyone coming to Q&A looking for advice on which new device to buy will see it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TeeJay3800 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TeeJay3800 Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 08:46 AM |#7  
Flag Coventry, UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay3800

I have doubts that this will cut down on the many "which device should I buy" threads in this forum, but here's hoping! Ideally, this thread will be used for all such questions. If so, I may sticky it so anyone coming to Q&A looking for advice on which new device to buy will see it.

Well obviously I'm hoping for that to be the case.
But we'll just have to wait and see at the moment. Other new threads could always be merged into here, I suppose.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidCarter93 Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 09:19 AM |#8  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCarter93

The galaxy tab 2 10.1 is a pretty good tablet but it just seems a bit bland to me. Mainly because there wasn't much difference from the original galaxy tab 10.1.
The Nexus 7 is a little beast of a tablet though, so that could always be an option for you.
But if you wanna stay with Galaxy, then it's probably best to wait for the Note 2 like you said.

My mistake, didn't realize until now I meant the galaxy NOTE 10.1, lol. That seems like a sexy little beast! But the tab 2 doesn't seem too bad for a first time tablet device either.. for the price at least

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OTAw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OTAw Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 04:20 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
To buy Nexus 7 or wait for Microsoft Surface?

The question is really if the Surface will be cheaper than I bet it'll be (under 500)
Nexus 7 seems like awesome tablet, but I think it might be too small for me , but im not really sure, since I never owned a tablet, and where I live I cant go and see any 7 inch tablets in store.

So what you thnik, should I go for Nexus 7 or wait? Or better yet, is there more choices for cheap and quality android tablets?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ka-la For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ka-la Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 04:26 PM |#10  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Vegas, Baby! Likes:XDA,Android Dislikes:Spammers
Thanks Meter: 5,122

More
7 inch tablets seem like an odd size to me. Not really big enough for the things I would use it for to replace a laptop, but too big to replace my phone.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikef For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikef Ad-Free
22nd August 2012, 04:35 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2112

7 inch tablets seem like an odd size to me. Not really big enough for the things I would use it for to replace a laptop, but too big to replace my phone.

You are totally right, but now to think other way: its easier to carry 7inch than 10inch tablet.

Also forgot to mention I have some problems with eyesight so bigger tablet might also be better choice, But the nexus 7 price really seems like a good selling point. But if the Surface RT will be 200, then I probably going to miss my money too much.
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-la For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ka-la Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)