FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th August 2019, 03:33 AM |#11701  
Flag Cosmos
Thanks Meter: 2,015

More
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFbombhead

Guys, thanks for your advice.

I was torn between the S10 512Gb, the new Note 10 or a pixel 3.

The S10 is leading and I get a substantial discount right now through the forces veterans service (nothing on the Note 10, yet)

S10 is still a sweet device!

10th August 2019, 08:22 AM |#11702  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Emaleth~

Thx, you are right, hehe, sorry. I already went with Motorola One for 170€, not the best, and there is redmi note 7 for the same price but it is a massive upgrade from my old neffos c5 anyway and to be honest, aside power/volume buttons not working half of the time, the biggest issue for me was no updates so i think this will be ok for next 2 years, or 1 in the worst case.

No problem mate. Quick tip, always look if the phone you want has active development on xda. I ve got an samsung s6 for example. It already has android 9.0 custom roms. So tehnically it still got a few years before it becomes obsolete

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackingpro

Criteria:
16:9 display (FHD or 4K)
Normal screen edges
No notch
Physical buttons
Headphone jack
microSD slot
Good performance (Snapdragon 8xx, 4GB+ RAM)

For average budget, go with Samsung S7. Ex flagship, samsung still supports it, gonna get Android Q custom roms for sure. Great kernel and battery life
12th August 2019, 12:57 PM |#11703  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I've been using Google phones since the first nexus (except for one time I got an LG 4G).
Right now my Pixel 2 is at the end of his life and I am looking for a replacement.
I was pleased with the Pixel 2 but nothing amazing compared to the high price and the Pixel 3 doesn't bring anything interesting for me to the table.

I am looking primarily for these criteria :
  • Great battery life (don't want to have to charge it at work everyday if it it was at 100% before leaving for work)
  • Great screen quality
  • As close as the default UI as possible (I can always put a custom ROM I would like to not have to do it)
  • Loud speakers (not for music but mostly video, movies, TV shows)
  • Good hardware (I don't play games on mobile at all but I would like everything to be fluid and fast)
  • Fingerprint reader is a nice plus
  • under 800$ but around 600$ would be best, since I live in Switzerland and the price are always higher

These are things I don't care about :
  • Camera (rear and front)
  • Mini-jack input (I have a Fiio X5 for my music)
  • Wireless charging

I don't mind waiting a bit for a release if it is soon.

The Oneplus 7, Xiaomi mi 9T, latest Huawei or Samsung all seem nice but it's hard to find an actual battery test for each of those phones.
I only briefly tested a Samsung but I know I don't like their third party UI. On the other hand I never tested a Xiaomi or a Huawei.
12th August 2019, 05:41 PM |#11704  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
@rXpCH: What about Motorola One Pro (Zoom)? It should have pure Android and it should be released soon. But I don't know about wireless charging, if it supports it or not.
https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_one_zoom-9745.php
12th August 2019, 05:47 PM |#11705  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtiel

@rXpCH: What about Motorola One Pro (Zoom)? It should have pure Android and it should be released soon. But I don't know about wireless charging, if it supports it or not.
https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_one_zoom-9745.php

I'll look into it and seem fine but no date yet so it depends on how much time the pixel 2 can survive.
How about phone that have a release date or are out ? (PS : I updated my post to make something a bit clearer)
12th August 2019, 09:16 PM |#11706  
Thanks Meter: 147

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rXpCH

I've been using Google phones since the first nexus (except for one time I got an LG 4G).
Right now my Pixel 2 is at the end of his life and I am looking for a replacement.
I was pleased with the Pixel 2 but nothing amazing compared to the high price and the Pixel 3 doesn't bring anything interesting for me to the table.

I am looking primarily for these criteria :
Great battery life (don't want to have to charge it at work everyday if it it was at 100% before leaving for work)
Great screen quality
As close as the default UI as possible (I can always put a custom ROM I would like to not have to do it)
Loud speakers (not for music but mostly video, movies, TV shows)
Good hardware (I don't play games on mobile at all but I would like everything to be fluid and fast)
Fingerprint reader is a nice plus
under 800$ but around 600$ would be best, since I live in Switzerland and the price are always higher

These are things I don't care about :
Camera (rear and front)
Mini-jack input (I have a Fiio X5 for my music)
Wireless charging

I don't mind waiting a bit for a release if it is soon.

The Oneplus 7, Xiaomi mi 9T, latest Huawei or Samsung all seem nice but it's hard to find an actual battery test for each of those phones.
I only briefly tested a Samsung but I know I don't like their third party UI. On the other hand I never tested a Xiaomi or a Huawei.

Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96171.png
Views:	130
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	4805238  
14th August 2019, 06:00 PM |#11707  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
My current sony xperia xa2 seems to be broken. I will send it in for repairs, but I suspect the repairs will cost me a great deal (since I unlocked the bootloader and voided the warranty) Also, Sony service is horrible. (I am in USA, and using T-Mobile)

So I think I am in the market for a new phone! I am a bit overwhelmed with choices ATM. Here is what I am looking for;

* Good battery life. I use bluetooth often (drive a lot) and have a garmin watch that I pair with. Other than that I don't use the phone that often. Though I will need it to last on the occasional hiking trip for a few days.
* Good lineageos + microg support. I don't want Gapps on my phone.
* Decent camera experience. I don't need extremely good photos but the photo quality on XA2 is atrocious and I am visibly disgusted by it. I rather not have to do that again.
* Fingerprint reader, I like being able to unlock it with a touch.
* SD card support. I have a 512 GB sd card that I use with my phones. This is mission critical for me, as I use my phone as a backup with syncthing.

I would like to have, though not that crucial;

* Durable. I would LOVE to go 3+ years on the same phone for a change.
* Headphone jack. Most audio I listen to from the phone is through bluetooth in the car. Although I am a borderline audiophile, I would not miss this feature that much, and can get a standalone player if needed.
* Wireless charging. It is nice but not mission critical. I use a magnetic mount in the car, so with wireless charging I do not need a metal sticker to go with it.

Price range wise, I am flexible and willing to pay money for quality. In my mind I can pay 500$ for a phone, but that is subject to realistic constraints. Price is not a big issue though.
16th August 2019, 12:23 PM |#11708  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Good phone for rooting.
I need to know a good phone for rooting that includes all of the latest magisk features and is also very secure. (where I would still be able to use my google pay etc)

My Samsung s9+ was a bad variant. gw-950, so now I'm looking for some cheaper phones where they are more straight forward to root/flash and not have to go through the pain of having some one-off horrible variant.
The Following User Says Thank You to barmack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift barmack Ad-Free
17th August 2019, 05:14 AM |#11709  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
After P10 Plus replacement
Hi folks,

I'm looking into getting a smartphone that replaces my cracked P10 Plus.
At the meantime, I'm using my Mom's Mi A2 lite - which is awesome in terms of size but the camera and performance are crappy.

The main way I'm picking a phone is by the following aspects:
MUST: not higher than 150mm - the Mi A2 lite is 147 - sweet!

1. Good camera
2. Audio jack and SD-card extension ability
3. Good usability

looking at the smartphone list, the only one that answers it with the limitation of 300 USD mark is the HONOR 10.
Before buying it, any idea which other phones should I look at?

Thanks,
-M
19th August 2019, 03:24 AM |#11710  

More
You can go for k20 pro(mi 9T pro)
19th August 2019, 10:27 AM |#11711  

More
Low cost - Android Vanilla
Hi all,

I'm searching for a low cost ( max 200€ ) phone to be used with android - vanilla version.

Requirements:
- good support of Android P ( and then Q )
- porting of the google camera app
- at least 4 gigs of RAM
- display of at least 5.5"
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)