FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th September 2019, 12:03 PM |#11751  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Types of Phones I want to buy. Need help!
Need help!

I am trying to discover phones costing under 30 dollars that can be rooted and have preferably 2g's of
Ram. The a502dl model can't be rooted based off my research.

Use for phone farming

11th September 2019, 12:32 PM |#11752  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hey all... I see this thread here, so I'll ask here instead of making my own thread. (Hopefully I can find replies to my post, since I often have a hard time finding stuff buried in another thread unless someone quotes me and I get a notification or whatever.)

I'm about to replace my Moto G4 Play with a Google Pixel 3a, just can't decide to buy from Google direct or from B&H. (I've narrowed it down to those two.) I definitely want the phone in 15 days at the absolute latest (ruling out Amazon for me since I don't have prime and they tend to be really slow for me), preferably by this weekend if at all possible.

My G4 Play has various issues with GPS, low RAM, battery wearing out, no updates, etc. I like the software support on the Pixel line better than any other phone (although it still doesn't come close to desktop OS / update support), and could probably live with only 4 GB RAM and 64 GB Storage. (I presume it supports USB OTG, which would make the lack of a µSD slot hurt a bit less.)
I considered a few other phones as well (Galaxy A50/70, T-Mo Revvlry+, a couple others) but have all but settled on the Pixel 3a. My max budget is generally $400, but I was also briefly considering the OnePlus 6, Galaxy S10e or Asus Zenfone 6.

Another thing I would REALLY like is to be able to have a full desktop operating system on my pocketable device, with virtualization (this would be one of my major uses in this category), true multitasking, window manager, etc. If I did that, total budget (whether I get a single device, or a separate phone and UMPC like a GPD device or whatever) would be about $900-1K US.

More details, including criteria, etc, can be found in my posts on Linus Tech Tips and on r/PickAnAndroidForMe. (I figure I should keep this one relatively short.)
11th September 2019, 01:49 PM |#11753  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
usb and audio connector, easy to root/custom rom/magisk
Hello all, my old phone is slowly curling up and dying. Memory's full, CPU not up to par with modern requirements and all... so I need to buy a new one. I've already made the mistake of getting the Huawei P8 light 2017 as a replacement. Turns out the thing is not rootable, so I'll have to sell it. I actually need TWO phones, so maybe I'll use it as my second phone.

What I ask of the new phone I'm going to buy:

- size similar to Huawei P8
- usb connector, audio jack
- can be rooted easily and supports a LineageOS version with working Xposed or Magisk

- (not needed, but would be great) memory card slot (for bulk data - pics, music)
- (not needed, but would be great) user replaceable battery

I'm looking at the OnePlus 6, not cheap but seems to fit the bill. Any suggestions?
11th September 2019, 01:56 PM |#11754  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

The moment you root the phone, you accept all risks including the fact that malware or Spyware can get root access easier. Root access equals master control, admin control. If you want secure, don't root the phone. Encrypt it. You choose how expensive is your privacy. 100$ is a small price. If I were to buy a phone, having in mind privacy and security, I would buy an iPhone.

Thanks
11th September 2019, 05:35 PM |#11755  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer88key

Hey all... I see this thread here, so I'll ask here instead of making my own thread. (Hopefully I can find replies to my post, since I often have a hard time finding stuff buried in another thread unless someone quotes me and I get a notification or whatever.)

I'm about to replace my Moto G4 Play with a Google Pixel 3a, just can't decide to buy from Google direct or from B&H. (I've narrowed it down to those two.) I definitely want the phone in 15 days at the absolute latest (ruling out Amazon for me since I don't have prime and they tend to be really slow for me), preferably by this weekend if at all possible.

My G4 Play has various issues with GPS, low RAM, battery wearing out, no updates, etc. I like the software support on the Pixel line better than any other phone (although it still doesn't come close to desktop OS / update support), and could probably live with only 4 GB RAM and 64 GB Storage. (I presume it supports USB OTG, which would make the lack of a µSD slot hurt a bit less.)
I considered a few other phones as well (Galaxy A50/70, T-Mo Revvlry+, a couple others) but have all but settled on the Pixel 3a. My max budget is generally $400, but I was also briefly considering the OnePlus 6, Galaxy S10e or Asus Zenfone 6.

Another thing I would REALLY like is to be able to have a full desktop operating system on my pocketable device, with virtualization (this would be one of my major uses in this category), true multitasking, window manager, etc. If I did that, total budget (whether I get a single device, or a separate phone and UMPC like a GPD device or whatever) would be about $900-1K US.

More details, including criteria, etc, can be found in my posts on Linus Tech Tips and on r/PickAnAndroidForMe. (I figure I should keep this one relatively short.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiriki

Hello all, my old phone is slowly curling up and dying. Memory's full, CPU not up to par with modern requirements and all... so I need to buy a new one. I've already made the mistake of getting the Huawei P8 light 2017 as a replacement. Turns out the thing is not rootable, so I'll have to sell it. I actually need TWO phones, so maybe I'll use it as my second phone.

What I ask of the new phone I'm going to buy:

- size similar to Huawei P8
- usb connector, audio jack
- can be rooted easily and supports a LineageOS version with working Xposed or Magisk

- (not needed, but would be great) memory card slot (for bulk data - pics, music)
- (not needed, but would be great) user replaceable battery

I'm looking at the OnePlus 6, not cheap but seems to fit the bill. Any suggestions?

Hi, both of you aren't considering OnePlus 6T but only the 6. Is that only because of the 3.5mm jack? Notch? Or budget? Cuz I can get a pre-owned 6T for that price. Also are you saying about a new OnePlus 6 or a pre-owned one? Because the manufacturing of these are stopped I think.
11th September 2019, 07:13 PM |#11756  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by niyonsv

Hi, both of you aren't considering OnePlus 6T but only the 6. Is that only because of the 3.5mm jack? Notch? Or budget? Cuz I can get a pre-owned 6T for that price. Also are you saying about a new OnePlus 6 or a pre-owned one? Because the manufacturing of these are stopped I think.

At least for me, yes - it's the 3.5 mm jack. If you don't need it, I'd say go for the 6T!

Also, an SD card slot would be a useful addition for me. Apart from the additional memory space, the strong point is it makes it easier to backup vital system/app data separately from bulk stuff. I wrote it down as "optional" because I see it's getting rarer and rarer on contemporary phones, but I'm an ignoramus about the current market. That's why I posted my question here.
The Following User Says Thank You to mobiriki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mobiriki Ad-Free
11th September 2019, 10:24 PM |#11757  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by faaramin

Hi All,

Looking at buying an Xperia XA for the Mrs, not quite sure yet though...

Anything similar price wise, that might be a better option?
Good camera is the main thing she wants.

Thanks!

Get a Xiaomi device

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj

best os for galaxy s9+?

Oreo or Pie?

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelySubpoena

As you can tell I never installed GrapheneOS or or LineageOS, but I figured I would need to root it. Does that mean less secure? I don't know. Low budget because I mess up the phone I wouldn't be out much. USD my apologies.

Root = unlocked bootloader which then = no factory reset protection
11th September 2019, 10:53 PM |#11758  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by niyonsv

For me, it was primarily the 3.5mm jack. Phone's a fair bit over budget but was .... WAS under consideration. Now that I'm reminded (by looking at pictures of it again) it has a notch, it's been dropped for me. (The 6T's little blip of a notch would be fine, but the lack of a 3.5mm jack kills it for me.)
The Following User Says Thank You to pianoplayer88key For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pianoplayer88key Ad-Free
13th September 2019, 03:02 AM |#11759  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_SONY01

Get a Xiaomi device

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Oreo or Pie?

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Root = unlocked bootloader which then = no factory reset protection

Definitely Pie!
14th September 2019, 12:25 AM |#11760  
Thanks Meter: 218

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj

best os for galaxy s9+?

https://www.xda-developers.com/samsu...-lineageos-16/
14th September 2019, 02:44 PM |#11761  

More
isn't AOSP a piece of crap? it never worked right for me on my OPX? Textran ever seemed to get messages and the open source texting app is wacky and glitchy? Maybe a flag ship gets more dev time?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)