FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,278
 
By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th May 2020, 03:58 PM |#12171  
vrgolin's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag cd. del carmen Mexico
Thanks Meter: 72
 
More
nice forum, here you can have a big idea on what divice we can get out there... We have to have a clear idea of what we want from our new divice, what can we do with it. And the compatibility with you know (root, unlock etc. Sorry 4 my inglish.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
20th May 2020, 06:14 PM |#12172  
legend221's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Anywhere and Everywhere
Thanks Meter: 365
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modinstaller

Hey all, I'm new at smartphones. Gonna buy my first soon. Looking for some recommendations

Budget is around ~300. I'm looking for something solid that will last me a long time. 5 years at least. I'm thrifty, not the type to buy something new every 2 years, so I'm ready to pay for quality that will last long (if that's what you recommend).

My use case: I mostly need one as a pocket computer when I'm away from home (got no laptop). GPS, messaging, browsing, as well as music/audiobooks, reading, mobile games as a way to pass time while traveling. Battery is a concern. Also carrying heavy files between places, so memory expandability is a big plus. I'm not too concerned about camera quality but it's a plus.

I live in France. I've looked at many smartphones. The Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro seems like a really good deal at ~185€, but I'm concerned about the UI which I hear is bad and the spying practices of chinese manufacturers. The Motorola G8+ also seems like a good deal at ~225. The Realme X2/Samsung A50 are also appealing at ~270/250, and the Samsung A71 seems great but is getting really expensive as the cheapest I can find here is ~370 (330 used).

Thanks

Something that will last you at least 5 years would be a one plus device. Xiaomi might have the specs and performance but my brother that has a Mi 9 just swapped you another phone due to network problems in the U.S. With the imported Mi. It's factory unlocked so why he is having so many issues is a mystery.

Motorola just released the Power and Stylus within that price bracket. Also the Pixel 3A XL and Pixel 4A is soon to be released.

Shoot for the Samsung A51 or A71 if you can. A50 and A70 I've heard are good choices as well.

Older generation flagship LG V series phones are always appearing online at deep discounted prices.

As always before buy make sure that the phone company you are using have all the compatible bands so you don't run into any reception issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to legend221 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift legend221 Ad-Free
21st May 2020, 05:06 PM |#12173  
Junior Member
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
HI!

I searched the forum high and low and am a bit lost in my own thoughts...

I had a Xiaomi Mi A3 which had Bluetooth problems that couldn't get solved, so I sent it back to Amazon after just five Months. Before that I had a Mi A2 and before that a Mi Mix 2 and those have only been the last one and a half years. So I had bad experiences with Xiaomi and I need a new phone. At the moment, I'm using my Nexus 4 with Lineage 17.1. Terrible battery life but the fact that it works at all is just beautifull.

I need a phone with good bluetooth connectivity for home office and the car. I also would like to have a phone that I can care for myself on the software side. It would also be nice if the 200€ refund from amazon would be enough to buy a new phone. My thoughts at the moment are Moto Z, Moto Z2 Play, Moto X4, Axon 7, Nexus 5x, Sony X Performance or....

Any suggestions? If the phone has a physical Fingerprint sensor and a classical DIsplay without notch, that would be a bonus. What has to be there is a USB-C port.

Cheers,

MoWe
21st May 2020, 06:39 PM |#12174  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowe1983

HI!

I searched the forum high and low and am a bit lost in my own thoughts...

I had a Xiaomi Mi A3 which had Bluetooth problems that couldn't get solved, so I sent it back to Amazon after just five Months. Before that I had a Mi A2 and before that a Mi Mix 2 and those have only been the last one and a half years. So I had bad experiences with Xiaomi and I need a new phone. At the moment, I'm using my Nexus 4 with Lineage 17.1. Terrible battery life but the fact that it works at all is just beautifull.

I need a phone with good bluetooth connectivity for home office and the car. I also would like to have a phone that I can care for myself on the software side. It would also be nice if the 200€ refund from amazon would be enough to buy a new phone. My thoughts at the moment are Moto Z, Moto Z2 Play, Moto X4, Axon 7, Nexus 5x, Sony X Performance or....

Any suggestions? If the phone has a physical Fingerprint sensor and a classical DIsplay without notch, that would be a bonus. What has to be there is a USB-C port.

Cheers,

MoWe

Well, allow me to give you my opinion on a Xiaomi smartphone, who knows, maybe you just had bad luck so far.

I am using a Xiaomi Note 8 pro. Good battery life, you can even get 4 days on a single charge. Very good performance, the phone runs Android 9. The upcoming Miui 12 promises a lot of eye candy in graphics department plus privacy and security. The UI works smoothly, hadn't had a stutter in settings or any other app. Granted, I use launchers with every phone I had. Nova or Lawnchair work good. Everyone nowadays is interested in your data, from Apple, Google to Xiaomi or Realme. So I would suggest you buy this one, Xiaomi really improves the device. The moment I had a bug, it was fixed d the following day. The European version contains less to none ads. Like if you follow a 5 min tutorial on YouTube, you are getting rid of every ad available. Custom ROM problem aside (Mediatek isn't dev friendly, therefore there are less custom roms available than on some snapdragon counterparts. on the other hand is way cheaper and delivers the same performance), hadn't had any problem with resource hungry apps, like games or Adobe. The phone feels good in hand, corning gorilla glass, the camera is good. Let's say 8.5/10. The video recording is amazing. I do recommend.
21st May 2020, 09:09 PM |#12175  
Junior Member
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Hi! Thank you for the reply. How is Bluetooth Connectivity and Wifi Strength on your device?
21st May 2020, 10:27 PM |#12176  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowe1983

Hi! Thank you for the reply. How is Bluetooth Connectivity and Wifi Strength on your device?

I use Bluetooth to connect to my car, my laptop and by speaker. hadn't had a problem yet. smooth connection, wifi works great. connection speed is no problem.
23rd May 2020, 04:15 PM |#12177  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I'm looking for a new phone, atm I'm using a moto g5s plus but the new android versions are quite buggy.
Most important to me is good custom rom support. Price limit is up to 300€ but that's not a hard limit. Still manufactured would be a big plus. Any suggestions?
23rd May 2020, 04:48 PM |#12178  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuehs

I'm looking for a new phone, atm I'm using a moto g5s plus but the new android versions are quite buggy.
Most important to me is good custom rom support. Price limit is up to 300€ but that's not a hard limit. Still manufactured would be a big plus. Any suggestions?

Xiaomi K20 Pro
23rd May 2020, 09:22 PM |#12179  
wasay.65's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag karachi
Thanks Meter: 19
 
More
I Need Help.
After long hours of browsing, i have decided upon 2 mobiles.
One is the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 and the other is Realme 5i.
I am looking for a phone that will have great custom rom support in next 2-3 years.

Currently, the Redmi Note 8 has some custom roms.
The Realme 5i has no roms, maybe because its been only 5 months of release. Also, its kernel source has been released. I believe it will get support later.

As i would be using this mobile for 5-6 years, what do you suggest me to buy?
23rd May 2020, 10:26 PM |#12180  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasay.65

I Need Help.
After long hours of browsing, i have decided upon 2 mobiles.
One is the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 and the other is Realme 5i.
I am looking for a phone that will have great custom rom support in next 2-3 years.

Currently, the Redmi Note 8 has some custom roms.
The Realme 5i has no roms, maybe because its been only 5 months of release. Also, its kernel source has been released. I believe it will get support later.

As i would be using this mobile for 5-6 years, what do you suggest me to buy?

Xiaomi Note 8 pro (https://versus.com/en/mediatek-helio...napdragon-665) (also see Miui 12, looks very appealing)
23rd May 2020, 10:49 PM |#12181  
psychok9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresh T

I might suggest other strategy. Instead of going for oneplus and samsung, which are quite expensive, way above 600$ why don't you go with Xiaomi. Got myself a Xiaomi Note 8 Pro, quite a good phone, for less than 250$. For sure it gets two years of updates and the custom roms will be stable enough to work for another year or so. Afterwards, simply sell it and buy another one. Drawing a line after 5-6 years you will see you invested less and you have a good phone.

I don't like MIUI and it seems to me a bit "untrusty", and I like more clean and fast ROM, but maybe with a good custom ROM? Is there some trustworthy stable ROM for daily usage? Also a bit less updated I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyiman

I guess it's better to wait for OnePlus 8 series as it would be launched very soon.

Today seems launched now, what do you think today of it?

@All
Is there totally open source ROM for privacy concerns that I can flash on smartphone?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes