FORUMS

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,561 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,281

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th June 2020, 07:22 AM |#12251  
I guess I'm down to choosing between the Pixel 3 XL for the screen quality and better CPU $225-265. Or the Pixel 3a XL for the audio jack. $210-240

I prefer wired audio, I know there is a USB C to 3.5mm audio adapter as an option on 3 XL, I see issues with that down the road, but the resolution is better than Pixel 3, 3a and 3a XL.

The OnePlus6/6T are looking also looking rather nice at $220-230.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
29th June 2020, 07:29 AM |#12252  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'd like a phone that is...
  • The size of an HTC Desire X (118.5 x 62.3 mm), at most Redmi 3 (139.3 x 69.6). Thickness is not much of a problem, but my hands and pockets are not that big for the length of 'em. 15+ cm long is just unwieldy, I tried, but couldn't get used to Motorola E5.
  • One that keeps the battery like Nokia 1100 (a week or two standby, a few days with occasional use. 5 days of standby, at least? I tend to lose it when the battery runs out!).
  • One that has slots for 2 at-least-3G SIM cards that both work on at-least-3G at once (Redmi 3, say, is officially "3G dual-sim", but if both are 3G, one of them is relegated to 2G anyway). I don't expect to use Internet much, so Dual Standby is good enough.
  • A third, separate, slot for an SD-card. Although, OK, 128 GB is half my computer's hard drive, so built-in 128+ storage will do in a pinch.
  • Frequencies: one SIM is currently Australian Optus (3G 900MHZ, 2100MHZ; LTE Bands 1, 3, 7, 28, 40), the other is Australian Telstra (3G 850MHz, 2100MHz; Bands 1, 3, 7, 8, 28) though just one of the two will do. If the hardware is right, I don't even mind moving to Vodafone (3G 850MHz, 900MHz, 2100MHz (being refarmed as 4G); LTE Bands 3, 5, 1).
  • 3.5 headphone jack necessary, at least 3 hardware buttons on front very much preferred (I'm not even daring to hope for a non-touch keyboard, but the more hardware buttons available, the better), GPS handy, radio welcome, a 4+ MP camera will probably be there in any case.
  • Solid build preferred, though, as you say, cases can compensate for it.
  • Rooting ability. Inability to just copy files for a backup drives my inner Linux user crazy.

A relatively small, solid, long-battery-life phone that's not used often, but expected to be up to the task when it is needed. Is that too much to ask?
29th June 2020, 12:19 PM |#12253  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephie

I'd like a phone that is...

The size of an HTC Desire X (118.5 x 62.3 mm), at most Redmi 3 (139.3 x 69.6). Thickness is not much of a problem, but my hands and pockets are not that big for the length of 'em. 15+ cm long is just unwieldy, I tried, but couldn't get used to Motorola E5.
One that keeps the battery like Nokia 1100 (a week or two standby, a few days with occasional use. 5 days of standby, at least? I tend to lose it when the battery runs out!).
One that has slots for 2 at-least-3G SIM cards that both work on at-least-3G at once (Redmi 3, say, is officially "3G dual-sim", but if both are 3G, one of them is relegated to 2G anyway). I don't expect to use Internet much, so Dual Standby is good enough.
A third, separate, slot for an SD-card. Although, OK, 128 GB is half my computer's hard drive, so built-in 128+ storage will do in a pinch.
Frequencies: one SIM is currently Australian Optus (3G 900MHZ, 2100MHZ; LTE Bands 1, 3, 7, 28, 40), the other is Australian Telstra (3G 850MHz, 2100MHz; Bands 1, 3, 7, 8, 28) though just one of the two will do. If the hardware is right, I don't even mind moving to Vodafone (3G 850MHz, 900MHz, 2100MHz (being refarmed as 4G); LTE Bands 3, 5, 1).
3.5 headphone jack necessary, at least 3 hardware buttons on front very much preferred (I'm not even daring to hope for a non-touch keyboard, but the more hardware buttons available, the better), GPS handy, radio welcome, a 4+ MP camera will probably be there in any case.
Solid build preferred, though, as you say, cases can compensate for it.
Rooting ability. Inability to just copy files for a backup drives my inner Linux user crazy.

A relatively small, solid, long-battery-life phone that's not used often, but expected to be up to the task when it is needed. Is that too much to ask?

Well, go with Huawei Y6 Pro. Unlock bootloader, get stock ROM, using spflash tool flash patched boot image to get magisk root. Also, about that battery life expectancy. Let's be real. If you aren't going to install any power hungry app, like email or a browser or social apps, not going to have the phone connected all time to wifi or data connection, brightness and battery saving to max/ultra, you might reach around those 5 days. But you would literally not be using the smartphone. Tech reviewers are amazed by a 3 day standby phone and you want 2 weeks? Don't expect gaming on this.

[UPDATE] Took another look at your request, I am also suggesting Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini. Seems some people found out that there are extended battery packs for it, going up to 8500 mah. Sure, it's a brick afterwards. Don't know, didn't dig enough in those forums. Also, you get custom roms with pie, which is known for better battery management. Also, if you plan on getting more battery life, use lite versions of those apps and consider underclocking +/- undervolting.
3rd July 2020, 01:42 AM |#12254  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
So I have searched this thread using the keyword verizon, and looked at all of the recent post from last few months with the keyword, and none of them have very solid replies. I am looking for a budget Verizon smartphone that I can root. Doesn't matter to me if few years old or not android 10, I just want a phone to hold me over until I can afford a nice smartphone. Been using the note 4 for long time and it is finally dying. If no budget options, then i would still like to hear alternatives. So far, the only phone that I feel confident after searching these forums that I can root on verizon is the one plus but it is too expensive. I have found other potential alternatives, but most of the rooting guides are vague when it comes to which exact precise models you can and cannot root.

One of these alternatives is the moto G5plus, it looks to be compatible with Verizon and root, but if anyone could very that for me it would be greatly appreciated, as I have exhausted all avenues I know of to be certain. It is frustrating that swappa does not include the exact model names/numbers as this makes things even more complicated.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-...cking-t3593531

https://swappa.com/listing/view/LUGZ93134

Also I have read about the pixel, but is this still relevant?

Thanks for taking your time to read this!
3rd July 2020, 04:51 AM |#12255  
Quote:
Originally Posted by skateguy1234

So I have searched this thread using the keyword verizon, and looked at all of the recent post from last few months with the keyword, and none of them have very solid replies. I am looking for a budget Verizon smartphone that I can root. Doesn't matter to me if few years old or not android 10, I just want a phone to hold me over until I can afford a nice smartphone. Been using the note 4 for long time and it is finally dying. If no budget options, then i would still like to hear alternatives. So far, the only phone that I feel confident after searching these forums that I can root on verizon is the one plus but it is too expensive. I have found other potential alternatives, but most of the rooting guides are vague when it comes to which exact precise models you can and cannot root.

One of these alternatives is the moto G5plus, it looks to be compatible with Verizon and root, but if anyone could very that for me it would be greatly appreciated, as I have exhausted all avenues I know of to be certain. It is frustrating that swappa does not include the exact model names/numbers as this makes things even more complicated.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-...cking-t3593531

https://swappa.com/listing/view/LUGZ93134

Also I have read about the pixel, but is this still relevant?

Thanks for taking your time to read this!

Verizon locks the bootloader on all the devices they offer/sell. Your best bet is to find an unlocked non-Verizon device that you like that is also compatible with the Verizon network then activate that device on your Verizon account.

The easy options these days are Pixel devices and OnePlus devices, but, again, the non-Verizon versions because Verizon locks the bootloader on even their Pixel and OnePlus devices. Hence, an unbranded or at least network unlocked non-Verizon version of a device is the best option.

All of the Pixel variants are still very relevant in the development community. Pixel 2 variants, Pixel 3 variants and even Pixel 4 variants are well priced.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
4th July 2020, 06:25 PM |#12256  
Forum Moderator
Flag Establishing Battlefield Control... Standby!
Thanks Meter: 8,512

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidriven

All of the Pixel variants are still very relevant in the development community. Pixel 2 variants, Pixel 3 variants and even Pixel 4 variants are well priced.

I second this, even older generations of Pixel are very practical and versatile devices. I very recently picked up a Pixel 2XL 128GB for a very good price almost brand new.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Thebear Blue XDA Labs
Today, 06:49 AM |#12257  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Hi guys i cant decide between 2 devices: redmi note 9 pro and pixel 3a (used). My budget is 300€ and i want gcam and a phone that can be rooted. I prefer android One but It Is not a must given that i will root one day. My main concern about pixel 3a Is the smaller amount of RAM that is pushing me ti redmi which Is a younger device. What do you think?
Today, 07:45 AM |#12258  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacopastorius

Hi guys i cant decide between 2 devices: redmi note 9 pro and pixel 3a (used). My budget is 300€ and i want gcam and a phone that can be rooted. I prefer android One but It Is not a must given that i will root one day. My main concern about pixel 3a Is the smaller amount of RAM that is pushing me ti redmi which Is a younger device. What do you think?

Go with pixel 3a. 4 gigs of ram is just enough nowadays. That if you don't play intensive not optimized games. Otherwise you won't have a problem. Plus you might expect way more updates.

Or try finding pixel 3xl. Seems to have better overall specs and is much older, you might find it at the same price range.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)