Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Kernel][GT-N8000/13] mybrainhurts 08/25/2012

14,094 posts
Thanks Meter: 25,474

By Entropy512, Senior Recognized Developer on 23rd August 2012, 02:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
PLEASE READ THIS POST AND THE FAQ BEFORE POSTING

This post is going to be very brief until I have the time to add more content.

Attached is a kernel with TriangleAway support to permit resetting of your flash counter. However, the kernel has wifi issues on my device - if you have wifi reliability issues you'll probably want to flash a stock kernel in Odin. However, so far, everyone else who has tried this reports their wifi is working fine so it may just be my device.

Kernel source is at https://github.com/Entropy512/kernel_n8013_ics
Initramfs for N8013 is at https://github.com/Entropy512/initramfs_n8013_ics
Initramfs for N8000 is at https://github.com/espenfjo/initramfs_n8000_ics - Thank espenfjo for this one!

It's very barebones for now - Just TA support and removing some excessive debugging printks from drivers that are WAY too chatty.

N8000 support is courtesy of espenfjo
Attached Files
File Type: tar N8000_somekernel_08252012.tar - [Click for QR Code] (5.37 MB, 2947 views)
File Type: tar N8013_somekernel_08252012.tar - [Click for QR Code] (5.34 MB, 1145 views)
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

23rd August 2012, 02:31 PM |#2  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
FAQ
Q: How do I install this?
Flash the release in Odin.

Q: I have Linux or MacOS and Heimdall won't work, how do I install?
Samsung changed the partitions around, you need Heimdall built with the patch at https://github.com/teamhacksung/Heim...60f60c1e38a1ec to flash a kernel. WARNING: If you use this to flash a kernel on an older device you may hardbrick! On older devices, BOOT was the PBL. On newer devices (I9300 and N80xx), it's the kernel!

Q: I want to return to the stock kernel after installing CWM and using this to reset the flash counter, how?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1853209

Q: I used the patched Heimdall above to flash a stock kernel and it triggered by flash counter, WTF?
This scared the crap out of me for a while. For some reason, on this device, Heimdall ALWAYS triggers the flash counter when flashing kernel (and probably recovery) - even if that kernel is a signed Samsung release. Flash using Odin instead, or extract the boot.img from the tar and
Code:
dd if=boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 bs=1024
on a rooted device

Q: Will this work on GT-N8010?
Untested on N8010 (Although one positive user report so far). If you try to use the IR on it, it'll probably crash since that device doesn't have IR.

Q: Will you support the GT-N8000 and GT-N8010?
I hate blind development - but N8010 should be easy. N8000 is harder, however espenfjo (another Cyanogenmod maintainer) did the bringup (defconfig and a first test build) - I have pulled his changes into my source, if you are an N8000 owner thank him for his help. Keep in mind, though, that as a Cyanogenmod maintainer, this kernel will likely stop being maintained once I have a reasonably reliable CM bringup on this device. It's here to serve as an initial reference for other kernel developers on building for this device, and, of course, resetting the flash counter.

Q: Why is wifi so unreliable?
Because Samsung put all sorts of hax in their source that aren't in their shipped kernels. Their shipped kernels seem to be far closer to the I9300 in this regard. The 8/25 release should fix wifi, as it pulls in the I9300 wifi driver.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2012, 02:32 PM |#3  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
Change Log
08/25/2012:
Wifi fixed by pulling in I9300 wifi driver

08/23/2012:
Initial release, unreliable wifi on many devices
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2012, 02:32 PM |#4  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
reserve for misc 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2012, 03:00 PM |#5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I'll test on N8010 tonight and provide some feedback.

I've got two backups incase..

Dc

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2
23rd August 2012, 05:10 PM |#6  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 124

More
any chance we will get this support with out flashing a new kernel?
23rd August 2012, 05:31 PM |#7  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalstylez

any chance we will get this support with out flashing a new kernel?

No, it requires flashing a kernel.

I think Chainfire's approach on some devices is to temp-flash a kernel that supports TA and then revert it, but I'm not sure if he'll support a device he doesn't own with this method.
23rd August 2012, 06:39 PM |#8  
Flag Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Meter: 55

Donate to Me
More
How to reset counter and get back to stock
Please confirm this is the proper process as I'm exhanging this tablet for a new one.

1. Flash kernel via odin
2. Flash stock Rom via odin
3. Flash stock kernel/recovery via odin

I belive this is right but won't step 3 put the counter back to 1?

Thanks!
23rd August 2012, 07:52 PM |#9  
Flag Owego, NY

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_424

Please confirm this is the proper process as I'm exhanging this tablet for a new one.

1. Flash kernel via odin
2. Flash stock Rom via odin
3. Flash stock kernel/recovery via odin

I belive this is right but won't step 3 put the counter back to 1?

Thanks!

You forgot a step:
1) Flash this with Odin
2) Use the TriangleAway app
3) Flash stock firmware including kernel/recovery in Odin. FYI, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1847706 includes EVERYTHING - kernel, recovery, system, etc.

Flashing in Odin only triggers the flash counter if flashing something that wasn't signed by Samsung, if the kernel is from Samsung it won't trigger the counter. Normally this is also the case for Heimdall but it has small issues with this device (see FAQ) that cause it to always trigger the counter, so you need to use Odin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2012, 08:17 PM |#10  
Flag Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Meter: 55

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

You forgot a step:
1) Flash this with Odin
2) Use the TriangleAway app
3) Flash stock firmware including kernel/recovery in Odin. FYI, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1847706 includes EVERYTHING - kernel, recovery, system, etc.

Flashing in Odin only triggers the flash counter if flashing something that wasn't signed by Samsung, if the kernel is from Samsung it won't trigger the counter. Normally this is also the case for Heimdall but it has small issues with this device (see FAQ) that cause it to always trigger the counter, so you need to use Odin.

Ok i did step 1 but I dont see a triangle away app. Is this in recovery? In the Android OS there is no signs of this.

Thanks and sorry if I'm asking a dumb question. Never had a samsung where i needed to do this.
23rd August 2012, 08:21 PM |#11  
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 2,257

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_424

Ok i did step 1 but I dont see a triangle away app. Is this in recovery? In the Android OS there is no signs of this.

Thanks and sorry if I'm asking a dumb question. Never had a samsung where i needed to do this.

The TriangleAway app would be on the market^H^H^H^H^HGoogle Play Store.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)