Can someone point me to the law about changing IMEI?

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By bugsby24, Junior Member on 25th August 2012, 05:02 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
In my now locked other thread it was pointed out that changing the IMEI is illegal. Could someone point me to the law that covers this for the USA? I haven't been having much luck with google.
The Following User Says Thank You to bugsby24 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bugsby24 Ad-Free
25th August 2012, 05:29 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
If you like you must know
Read it

http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-in...ct-104959.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
25th August 2012, 04:47 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
I don't see a link to the law in that thread. I have seen many people say that it is illegal, but I have yet to find any US law about it. Is everyone making an assumption here?
25th August 2012, 05:31 PM |#4  
Flag South Boston, VA
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Oh its certainly illegal. You'll get more time for changing your imei than you would if you slapped your wife. Bad example? oh well
25th August 2012, 07:43 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ends

Oh its certainly illegal. You'll get more time for changing your imei than you would if you slapped your wife. Bad example? oh well

This is my point. Everyone says this but can't seem to point to the law. I am looking for the actual law that covers this. Can someone point this out?
25th August 2012, 08:10 PM |#6  
I do not and will not claim to know the answer to this question, but i would imagine the place to start looking for this type of information would be the FCC.
27th August 2012, 02:15 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 182

More
If your so determined to see this "law" a very simple google search yeilds the answer.

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.3186.IS:

Here is your answer now can we get this closed because I'm very opposed to changing imei number.

3 weeks ago my cousin was killed over his phone and the imei number of the phone is what helped catch the scumbag.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meleii For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift meleii Ad-Free
27th August 2012, 02:24 AM |#8  
Flag North Georgia
Thanks Meter: 2,453

Donate to Me
More
I'm sorry for your loss. And thank you for settling this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
27th August 2012, 04:59 AM |#9  
Flag cleveland
Thanks Meter: 751

Donate to Me
More
imei's are used for good, but sadly carriers use them to squeeze extra money out of you by tracking you and forcing extra services on you..

there's plenty of people who have posted imei tweaks, but they get pulled right away.. imei changing isn't illegal everywhere, but sadly it is in us/uk, so xda is a bad place to try and find such things..

android china is fair game tho!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to soraxd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift soraxd Ad-Free
10th November 2012, 06:10 AM |#10  
Flag California

More
there is no such law in the usa ANYWHERE but still its hard to find info on it
10th November 2012, 01:36 PM |#11  
Flag North Georgia
Thanks Meter: 2,453

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meleii

If your so determined to see this "law" a very simple google search yeilds the answer.

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.3186.IS:

Here is your answer now can we get this closed because I'm very opposed to changing imei number.

3 weeks ago my cousin was killed over his phone and the imei number of the phone is what helped catch the scumbag.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

That looks like law to me.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuastar77

there is no such law in the usa ANYWHERE but still its hard to find info on it

.maybe you should have read all the posts on this thread
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question
Previous Thread Next Thread