FORUMS

Unlocking Bootloaders on Droid 4 and CM10/Jellybean

425 posts
Thanks Meter: 62

Post Reply Email Thread
Scoured all the D4 forums for a forum like this but could not find anything. I have come to find that since Motorola was taken over or purchased by Google that the bootloaders of Motorola devices are beginning to get unlock codes to unlock the bootloaders. Has anybody had any success using fastboot on their D4 to get the device ID from it? I personally have tried this with my D4 and it was unsucessful. I have posted the site for the info as to how to unlock bootloaders, unfortunately not all devices will be able to be unlocked though. I also was wondering if any devs are looking into Jellybean for our D4's or CyanogenMod 10 releases for it? I know there are unofficial CyanogenMod 10 releases for the Droid Razr already but havent seen much else yet. Any help towards these future developments would be greatly appreciated and I figured that this thread should probably be put into the Droid 4 Android Development Section as it is a Dev subject. If anybody thinks this thread should be posted elsewhere please let me know. Thanks!
https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-your-device-a

Here was an example of how to find your device ID:
DEVICE ID AND UNLOCK KEY

To unlock your device, you need to retrieve your device ID and obtain an unlock code.
I. Retrieving your device ID
  1. Put your device in fastboot mode (Power+Vol Down) and connect over USB
  2. Open a command prompt or Terminal session
  3. Go to the Directory where you installed the Android SDK tools, and type: $ fastboot oem get_unlock_data This fastboot command will return a character string. This is the Device ID which you will be using to generate your unique unlock key. $ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
    (bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230
    (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00
    (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95
    (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000
    (bootloader) 0000000
    OKAY
    [0.297s]
  4. To generate your unlock code, you’ll need to paste together the 5 lines of output into one contnuous string without "(bootloader)" or white spaces.. Using the example above, the line you’d send us would be:0A40040192024205#4C4D35563132303037373136303130333 2323239#BD008A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F951A3E5#1 F532800020000000000000000000000
25th August 2012, 08:05 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 316

More
list of supported devices:
https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/87215
25th August 2012, 08:48 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dalton,Ohio

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up I stand corrected
Thanks for that,I missed that one and understand it better now. Would also like some insight into Jellybean or CM10 for our devices from anybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegfusion

25th August 2012, 01:10 PM |#4  
Flag Hanover
Thanks Meter: 58

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_lowe02

Thanks for that,I missed that one and understand it better now. Would also like some insight into Jellybean or CM10 for our devices from anybody!

So you want to unlock the bootloader to have CM10? You don't need to unlock the bootloader... Root it, install Safestrap, select "Install Recovery" inside Safestrap, reboot, open Safestrap, switch to safe mode and then flash your CM10.. Download of CM10:
http://dl.hash-of-codes.com/ROMs/maserati/
After that don't forget to flash the Google Apps (http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip)

But please note - this is an early alpha preview. It may have huge bugs. At the moment the keys for menu/back/home/search are not working.
The Following User Says Thank You to tobby88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tobby88 Ad-Free
25th August 2012, 05:48 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dalton,Ohio

Donate to Me
More
Any Jellybean for our D4's?
Negative,I was simply wondering if we would be able to unlock the bootloaders of our D4's. I dont want to try CM10 yet because I've only seen copies of it for the Razr. I know about safestrap and all that and how to flash ROM's,I was just wondering if and when we can expect to see some work being done on CM10 and or Jellybean for our D4's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobby88

So you want to unlock the bootloader to have CM10? You don't need to unlock the bootloader... Root it, install Safestrap, select "Install Recovery" inside Safestrap, reboot, open Safestrap, switch to safe mode and then flash your CM10.. Download of CM10:
http://dl.hash-of-codes.com/ROMs/maserati/
After that don't forget to flash the Google Apps (http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip)

But please note - this is an early alpha preview. It may have huge bugs. At the moment the keys for menu/back/home/search are not working.

25th August 2012, 06:39 PM |#6  
Flag Sekret
Thanks Meter: 20

Donate to Me
More
It IS for our phones... its not simply a copy... it wouldnt boot, the developer who manages the razr/droid 4/bionic builds actually uses the Droid 4 as his primary phone so we get, equal if not more love from him....

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium
26th August 2012, 02:19 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dalton,Ohio

Donate to Me
More
Wink Thank You!
Thank You. I was just made aware of the D4 JB leaks today and was hoping we would see a forum come about for JB builds and leaks or maybe a DEV could post it in this forum, I definitely wouldnt mind if a DEV posted some leaks or builds here in this forum. Any DEV's feel free to post your build info in this forum!! Thanks for all the comments and help from everybody and I look forward to the future of JB on the D4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moah909

It IS for our phones... its not simply a copy... it wouldnt boot, the developer who manages the razr/droid 4/bionic builds actually uses the Droid 4 as his primary phone so we get, equal if not more love from him....

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium

26th August 2012, 04:47 AM |#8  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Yeah hash is like me. He can't stand typing on a touchscreen.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
27th August 2012, 04:58 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesjones

Yeah hash is like me. He can't stand typing on a touchscreen.

Nor can I. Horrible experience to go back to once you've become used to the tactile keys.

While my GB experience is fine on D4, I'm hoping that ICS or JB will clear up a few issues with my phone. Hopefully a sound method for moving to the next version while remaining rooted will come along. I'm so sick of switching to 3G from 4G only to have to dial out to a number in order to get internet connectivity.

My only concern would be the loss of tethering, which I've gotten into the habit of using as my home internet.
28th August 2012, 12:54 AM |#10  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangandongo

Nor can I. Horrible experience to go back to once you've become used to the tactile keys.

While my GB experience is fine on D4, I'm hoping that ICS or JB will clear up a few issues with my phone. Hopefully a sound method for moving to the next version while remaining rooted will come along. I'm so sick of switching to 3G from 4G only to have to dial out to a number in order to get internet connectivity.

My only concern would be the loss of tethering, which I've gotten into the habit of using as my home internet.

I've never had issues going from 3g to 4g. Now 1x to anywhere ugh. The trick is to make data connections stop, then it will go back up.

28th August 2012, 02:01 PM |#11  
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegfusion

Doubt it will do any good but I've been going to the page every few days and clicking "no" on the link at the bottom of the page asking if the info was helpful. Then I leave feedback comments like "unlock the DROID 4" or "Unlock all your phones, quit disrespecting your customers like this"

Won't likely do any good but can't hurt either. Maybe if they get enough feedback like that the program will expand, show them there is a serious demand for the program.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdbraaten For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bdbraaten Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)