FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Top Tech YouTubers Review the OnePlus 6!

[MOD] This is why nexus 7 has screen lift problem

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

By wl030827, Junior Member on 25th August 2012, 07:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have got nexus 7 for almost a month and the screen lift problem always bother me.
I'm a user in China so I can't get a replacement.So I disassemble it and find out why screen lift.

The design of ASUS is really bad.The double-sided tape is extremely fine to give the place for touch screen cable.And the double-sided tape itself is bad,weak viscous.

I replaced the double-sided tape with a more viscous tape.It works fine now.

------------------------------------------------NEW-----------------------------------------------

After a night,the screen lift again.So I have to disassemble it again to stick the touch screen to the bracket,use the AB Glue.

The screw hole must be stick to the back of screen to get enough strength to hold the touch screen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3866.JPG
Views:	3392
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1282328   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3867.JPG
Views:	2980
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1282329   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3868.JPG
Views:	2744
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1282330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3869.JPG
Views:	2668
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1282331   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3870.JPG
Views:	2449
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	1282332   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3871.JPG
Views:	2196
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1282333   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3872.JPG
Views:	1758
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1283114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3873.JPG
Views:	1662
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1283115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3874.JPG
Views:	1608
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1283116  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wl030827 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wl030827 Ad-Free

25th August 2012, 07:30 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
glue it
I added a little 5 minute epoxy to the left side that was lifting and I haven't had any problems for the last couple weeks. Simple problem, simple solution.
25th August 2012, 09:06 PM |#3  
Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 172

More
that top layer in the first few pics with the tape hanging from it is the gorilla glass? it looks like you didnt remove any of the internals, just the screws? how did you separate the gorilla glass like that? i want to try this but just worry about breaking the glass layer.
25th August 2012, 09:24 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Good work, and I think you're right. Someone on here did a heatgun teardown and arrived at similar conclusions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=372

I would encourage everyone to read his analysis, but I'll summarize it here.

There is a ledge around the inside of the frame. It is covered with double-sided tape. The display rests on this ledge and relies on its adhesion to stay seated. The ledges for the top and bottom sides of the device are the widest (12 and 16 mm), and the right ledge is 6.5 millimeters.

The left ledge is the only side that isn't a constant width. The top and bottom portions of the left ledge are 3 mm, but there is a middle portion that is even narrower to make room for the touchscreen input cable. It's only 1.5 mm wide.

Since this is the common point of separation, it seems likely that the adhesive on the left ledge is not strong enough to securely fasten the display to such a minor contact area.

Although some other factor should be required to actually force the underside of the screen to detach from the adhesive ledge, whether that force is frame warp, pressure from internal components, or something else, the minimal adhesive contact area would explain why the left side would be the most vulnerable to stress.

Do you have any opinion on what is actually causing the screen to lift away from the adhesive strip on the left side?

Or is the adhesive is of such low quality that the screen could separate on its own due to heat and general use?

Thank you for doing this. I look forward to your further analysis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEXUS 7 FRAME.jpg
Views:	1401
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1282521   Click image for larger version

Name:	left problem area.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1282522  
The Following User Says Thank You to pxlitup For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pxlitup Ad-Free
26th August 2012, 10:07 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlitup

Good work, and I think you're right. Someone on here did a heatgun teardown and arrived at similar conclusions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=372

I would encourage everyone to read his analysis, but I'll summarize it here.

There is a ledge around the inside of the frame. It is covered with double-sided tape. The display rests on this ledge and relies on its adhesion to stay seated. The ledges for the top and bottom sides of the device are the widest (12 and 16 mm), and the right ledge is 6.5 millimeters.

The left ledge is the only side that isn't a constant width. The top and bottom portions of the left ledge are 3 mm, but there is a middle portion that is even narrower to make room for the touchscreen input cable. It's only 1.5 mm wide.

Since this is the common point of separation, it seems likely that the adhesive on the left ledge is not strong enough to securely fasten the display to such a minor contact area.

Although some other factor should be required to actually force the underside of the screen to detach from the adhesive ledge, whether that force is frame warp, pressure from internal components, or something else, the minimal adhesive contact area would explain why the left side would be the most vulnerable to stress.

Do you have any opinion on what is actually causing the screen to lift away from the adhesive strip on the left side?

Or is the adhesive is of such low quality that the screen could separate on its own due to heat and general use?

Thank you for doing this. I look forward to your further analysis.

updated.Change the tape is useless.
The Following User Says Thank You to wl030827 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wl030827 Ad-Free
26th August 2012, 05:31 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotekz

that top layer in the first few pics with the tape hanging from it is the gorilla glass? it looks like you didnt remove any of the internals, just the screws? how did you separate the gorilla glass like that? i want to try this but just worry about breaking the glass layer.

Pull the frame out.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)