SDXversion of this thread
You can now setup Hotmail/Live/MSN Mail for push notifications and folder/calendar/contact sync using the Exchange Active Sync (EAS) Service and it works with stock "Email" Client. There is a dedicated Hotmail app for android, but I want all my Email in one place, and K9 Mail doesn't support EAS 2010 WebDav, which appears to be what the hotmail server is using. Not sure about Gmail app.
(7-1-13) Thanks to amardeshbd and WinuxUser for pointing out the details for the recent 2-step authentication changes -----------
Two-step authentication has to be disabled before adding outlook/hotmail account.
For the people who have 2-step authentication enabled, your credentials will not work. make sure you disable and try again
OR, you need to create app specific password for each device
- follow http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...p-verification
Here is the link and the info:
How to setup Hotmail on Android Phones http://windowslivehelp.com/solution....3-e3a6ba15e2f8
edit: MS killed the detailed instructions link so that you'd be redirected to the hotmail/seven app, but this still works for now!
Instructions for default mail client
Account settings and their level of support will vary across Android phones. While the steps to configure push email with synced contacts and calendar will vary, we have found these steps to work across a number of phones:
1. Select Email client on phone.
2. Press menu and select Add account
3. Enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (firstname.lastname@example.org) or (email@example.com)
4. Enter password
5. Select Manual setup
6. Select Exchange when prompted for “What type of account is this?”
7. Domain/Username, enter full Hotmail address: e.g. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Note: If the device only says “Domain”, it should be left blank.
If the device says “Username”, then enter the full Hotmail address.
(On some devices, the Domain/Username may be pre-populated incorrectly and should be erased.)
8. Type in password. (may already be filled in)
9. Server name. Enter: m.hotmail.com for server name.
** Alternate Servers reported by others: bay-m.hotmail.com
(Note: this field may be pre-populated incorrectly depending on device, ie outlook.com).
10. Make sure box Use secure connection (SSL) is checked.
11. Select Next
12. Select desired account options for inbox checking frequency, number of days to synchronize, send email by default, notifications and contacts/calendar sync. Select Next.
13. Depending on device you may be prompted for account color and account name (e.g. “Hotmail”)
14. Select Next and your Hotmail is set-up and ready to go!
Yea, I still like MS. Win7 MediaCenter Multi QAM Tuner, Remote Potato & Remote Media Ctr android app rock. Don't hate me for it.
Edit: Don't forget to check out: New Official MS SkyDrive APP for Android
2-13-13: Added screenshots