FORUMS

restore with nvflash in apx mode?

762 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,315

By adfad666, Inactive Recognized Developer on 10th September 2012, 05:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I've done something very silly to my Nexus 7. I wanted to manually install a new boot.img via fastboot, but in haste i ran 'fastboot erase bootloader' and now it doesn't boot at all, not even the google logo.

I've read about NVflash but I don't have the partition information or other files to flash something working, though it does seem to detect the device.

Any help will be appreciated. It seems many nvidia devices have various custom tools to recover from apx mode, so hopefully something can be found for the Nexus 7 too.
10th September 2012, 05:50 AM |#2  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 47

More
You need the partitions for the 16gb or the 8gb version? I haven't done APX mode on the Nexus 7 but did on my old streak 7 and can probably pull off the files tomorrow (I have 16gb)
The Following User Says Thank You to onilink67 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift onilink67 Ad-Free
10th September 2012, 09:12 AM |#3  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Olomouc

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onilink67

You need the partitions for the 16gb or the 8gb version? I haven't done APX mode on the Nexus 7 but did on my old streak 7 and can probably pull off the files tomorrow (I have 16gb)

That would be fantastic, I also have the 16 GB version!
10th September 2012, 10:29 AM |#4  
Flag Cologne Area
Thanks Meter: 775

Donate to Me
More
So, would this mean that even when you completely kill the N7 by corrupting the bootloader, you can STILL recover?

That would be amazing.... something I'd wish my other Android devices would have, kill the bootloader on there and it's hard bricked, dead.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, this is something I am absolutely interested in as well

P.S.:
Is there a way to read / dump the required information from an N7 while it's OK and running?
Like a backup for later recovery.
10th September 2012, 11:19 AM |#5  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Olomouc

Donate to Me
More
If you want to try it on linux, grab the All-in-one package from here.

To get it to boot into APX mode i held all three buttons while plugging it in. To confirm it is in APX mode run lsusb and you'll see something like:
Code:
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0955:7330 NVidia Corp.
After that, assuming onilink67 can get the files, we can run something like:
Code:
./nvflash --bct nexus7.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile nexus7.cfg --create --go
And it may restore the bootloader.

hopefully on onilink67 can supply some better info since he already has experience with APX

Information taken from slatedroid.com, androidroot.mobi and androidroot.mobi
The Following User Says Thank You to adfad666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adfad666 Ad-Free
10th September 2012, 01:03 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Subscribed! this is the exact problem i have run into. I cant get into my bootloader and device when connected.to the pc.installs a APX driver.by Nvidia

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
10th September 2012, 06:42 PM |#7  

More
OP and onilink would the files and partitions frim the 16gb be the same or would i need someone with a working 8gb to pull them for me?

10th September 2012, 06:56 PM |#8  
Flag Austin

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clago87

OP and onilink would the files and partitions frim the 16gb be the same or would i need someone with a working 8gb to pull them for me?

normally you want the one from your device since this actually copies partitions some will be different on the 8gb model
The Following User Says Thank You to onilink67 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift onilink67 Ad-Free
10th September 2012, 07:03 PM |#9  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,216

Donate to Me
More
This would be great to get a working solution. I screwed mine by blowing up the bootloader on accident. Luckily I could return mine to staples. I had "some" experience with nvflash with my G2x but I couldn't get it to do much.
10th September 2012, 07:47 PM |#10  

More
Yea i am unlock and on custom rom but i read somewhere asus doesnt void warranty for that. Since I'm completely bricked they shouldnt be able to see I'm on clean rom. Some wishful thinking but this does sound like something viable if i could get those filea and partitions I would definitely give it a shot before calling it quits

11th September 2012, 12:15 AM |#11  
Flag Austin

More
So last time I used APX mode I had a bct file provided to me. IIRC if tegra 2 didn't like the bct file it would refuse to do anything so for the sake of my nexus I hope Tegra 3 is the same. I'm going to research this a little more and hopefully can get something to you guys soon. FYI these files are normally huge
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)