Dirty vs Clean Flash

989 posts
Thanks Meter: 345

By Brian Gove, Senior Member on 12th September 2012, 05:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
A dirty flash is only wiping cache and davlik then flashing your ROM....

a Clean flash is at LEAST factory reset/data wipe + wiping davlik(factory wipe takes care of /cache also)... Maybe doing a format /system also.

SO let the games begin! Which is better?! FIGHT!!

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Brian Gove For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Brian Gove Ad-Free
12th September 2012, 06:14 AM |#2  
Flag Miami Beach
Thanks Meter: 50

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gove

A dirty flash is only wiping cache and davlik then flashing your ROM....

a Clean flash is at LEAST factory reset/data wipe + wiping davlik(factory wipe takes care of /cache also)... Maybe doing a format /system also.

SO let the games begin! Which is better?! FIGHT!!

If I switch ROM's I factory reset then wipe cache and dalvik cache. If it's a theme for example I only wipe cache and dalvik cache since the theme is suppose to be made for your ROM right?....don't see the reason to reflash the ROM as well.
12th September 2012, 10:56 AM |#3  
Flag Boston, MA Area
Thanks Meter: 1,958

Donate to Me
More
Wipe data? What's that for? Is THAT why my phone won't turn on..........

Nightlies: No data wipe (yes to cache/dakvik)
New rom, even if it's the same android build: always, full wipe
Themes: No wipe at all, flash right on, right after flashing rom's. Don't like to wait for two bootups!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to annoyingduck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift annoyingduck Ad-Free
12th September 2012, 11:55 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
Il throw a vote to whichever works.. I usually dirty wipe.. If I have issues then clean it and try again.. With nightlies I tend to be fine dirty a lot, but even still I will do a clean every couple weeks just because..
The Following User Says Thank You to wctaylor79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wctaylor79 Ad-Free
12th September 2012, 12:13 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 3,616

Donate to Me
More
why do so many folks wipe cache and dalvik after they wipe data? A data wipe/factory reset wipes all three, there is no need to do anything else.

I always wipe data, flash rom, then advance restore data only from a nandroid...dirty flashing in its most elegant form
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droidstyle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift droidstyle Ad-Free
12th September 2012, 01:50 PM |#6  
Flag Northern VA
Thanks Meter: 23

More
So we all agree that a dirty flash is just wipe cache/dalvik cache.

Do you wipe prior to re-flashing, or afterwards? Does it matter?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
12th September 2012, 02:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
What about flashing a new, updated kernel for a rom you're currently using? What steps should be taken for that? For example, cleanrom 2.1 comes with cleankernel 1.1, but the kernel has been updated to 1.2 and is out as a seperate download. How would you update just the kernel that's made specifically for the rom you use?
12th September 2012, 02:47 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx420

What about flashing a new, updated kernel for a rom you're currently using? What steps should be taken for that? For example, cleanrom 2.1 comes with cleankernel 1.1, but the kernel has been updated to 1.2 and is out as a seperate download. How would you update just the kernel that's made specifically for the rom you use?

Dirty wipe

Sent from a SYNERGIZED GalaxySIII
12th September 2012, 02:59 PM |#9  
Flag 18015
Thanks Meter: 501

More
When I dirty flash, I wipe data cache n dalvik cache. Once I flash what I wanted, I wipe those two once again n select "fix permissions" just in case

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
12th September 2012, 04:01 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by apet8464

So we all agree that a dirty flash is just wipe cache/dalvik cache.

I disagree. I believe a dirty flash also wipes system. If you are 100% certain that your ROM build effectively wipes system as part of it's install routine, then you could skip this step, however I always wipe system to be safe. This works for me and I rarely need to wipe data or sd card(s).

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx420

What about flashing a new, updated kernel for a rom you're currently using? What steps should be taken for that?

When changing Kernels but not the ROM in a separate recovery session than a ROM flash, you don't need to "dirty wipe." Just wipe cache and dalvik. Dalvik wipe is key so that the dalvik virtual machine can be rebuilt by the new kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Droosh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Droosh Ad-Free
12th September 2012, 04:33 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks for the info guys.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)